Frog A or Frog C?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By LUW

Thread: Frog A or Frog C?

LUW

Frog A or Frog C?

One week ago I was browsing online and found two auctions, for a 9900 and a 8200. I even made a thread (here) asking about which one would you guys think would be the "best" buy. Both were expensive and much more important, overseas, so it would take a while to get them. But as luck would have it, I found a franken 9900 locally ! It was a mix between a DW-9900-1C and a 1B, but was supposedly in good condition with new resin. I took the gamble and ordered it, and on Tuesday it got here. To my joy the crystal and case were in pristine conditions, and the bezel was new. The strap I would say is in 90%+ conditions, but with an aftermarket (and too soft for my tastes) strap keeper. But it still was a franken Frog, and not exactly to my tastes. So as soon as it got here, I ordered a brand new 1A upper case and bezel.

Though I was really eager to do this and it arrived here on Friday morning, I didn't do the swap right away. The initial idea was to make a DW-9900-1A, swapping the old case+bezel for the new one. But then I would have to open the case back, and the case back tool I ordered did not arrive, so I was going to postpone the job . However, Friday afternoon I made my GF-8250BK-1, so basically I already had a all-black resin with shiny case Frog, and the DW-9900-1A looks too much like that. That's when I decided to make a DW-9900-1C instead - it would look apart from the 8250 AND I wouldn't have to open the case .

So yesterday morning I went to work.

I first took off the bezel from the new case. The guy that sold me the case also had two NOS screws, so I ordered them too (unfortunately those were his last two). The ones on the watch were a bit damaged, so I was smart on getting replacements.

Then I took my 9900 apart.

Since everything was in pieces, I was able to give the watch a good clean-up, and the case and crystal are pristine, though the screw back has some very minor scuffs.

I wouldn't say that to get the resin off was tough, but it wasn't easy. To do so you have to first slide it off from the right side, where the case isn't so high. To put it back on it's easier, but you should start from the left.

One of the interesting things I noted about the 9900 is that unlike the more modern 8250 and 200 series, the strap is held in place by just the screws, and not spring bars. That makes the strap more strongly attached to the case, but you have to keep those screws tight, and therefor, they are easy to strip if you change straps too much. Another thing is that the straps do not have the inner metal tube in the hole where the spring bar goes as on the modern series.

The job was a walk in the park, and after about 20 minutes I had an almost new DW-9900-1C .

I'm very pleased about my new Frog ! Very comfortable to wear and the 2016 is a nice and no-frills honest module. Basically the same functions as the 2422 from the 200 but minus the data function.

Size-wise it's the smallest of my Frogs, with 47,8 mm of diameter and only 16 mm high. It's also the lightest, with just 70 g. Because of the lower profile I would say it's the easiest to use of all my Frogs.

The only thing that I didn't like was that the strap is "half a hole short". For my wrist it would be perfect if it had an in-between hole to be 100% comfortable. As I said, I didn't like the strap keeper that came with the strap, so I swapped it for the one that was on my yellow 8250 strap. Which by the way, was the toughest part of all the work . As long as I get the darn case tool I'll be able to make a 1A, but I liked the 1C with it's 90's looks that I doubt I'll change.

So here you have it, my third almost new old Frog .
    Last edited by LUW; June 24th, 2012 at 20:51.
    Dave I, Marrin, bizzotech and 2 others like this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

LUW, have to say i'm really enjoying your frogs.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

LUW

Re: Frog A or Frog C?

Thanks buddy!
    I don't think I can say I'm a Frog nut, I just enjoy diversity, but this is one line-up that I think is nice enough for me to want a few variations.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks great. I'm still looking for a 9900 to add to my Frog collection. Although I love bigger Gs, I just don't feel complete without one!

Sent from the office of the reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Congrats on the new acquisition! IMO the 9900 is underrated. Very comfy, great module - I really like mine. Have fun with it!

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

LUW

Thanks guys!
    Yeah, it's very comfortable and the size is right (I honestly can't see why people think it's too small ). It is smaller then the other series but it "wears" big - I'm definitively not on the small side and it looks good on my wrist.
    And interesting how it's mainly ignored around these parts, where you only see the 200, 8200/8250 and the 1000.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    Basically the same functions as the 2422 from the 200 but minus the data function.
    What data functions is it lacking?

Both of mine store name, credit card info, emergency number, passport id, and blood type. ...Ah, but I guess you're talking about the log for dive times, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    The only thing that I didn't like was that the strap is "half a hole short". For my wrist it would be perfect if it had an in-between hole to be 100% comfortable.
    I know just what you mean there. I have two 9900 models, of which one is the same as yours. The other (WCCS) model has a different strap (Casio needed to do a redesign to accommodate the chromed WCCS detailing). On the WCCS one the holes are perfect for my wrist. On the standard one they're just as you describe. So, I guess your solution is to wait for a 9900 WCCS strap to come up for auction (if that ever happens).

Anyway, great to see some love for the 9900. A hugely under-rated member of the frog family imo.

Now here's the obligatory "mine says hi" pic:

Name:  739863d1340011610-wruw-monday-18th-june-2012-img_2861.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  536.8 KB

LUW

Yep, I didn't express myself right: it does have the ID/phone/etc data feature, what defers is the dive log data.

And like the 200, it wasn't exactly easy to get the right the world times - I basically edited one of the pre-programed locations and then adjusted the time (or at least I still don't know how to do it ).
    Cheers!
    Luciano

CFF

hehe, some how my froggie is "half a hole" short too!!

don't find that with other G shocks of mine. big or small, new or old.

only froggies.

guess they have a mind of it's own.

here is my feedback: CFF, Best Seller Ever!

Thread Information