Frogman DW-8200 replacement battery

Thread: Frogman DW-8200 replacement battery

Frogman DW-8200 replacement battery

I apologize up front if this topic has been covered in the past. My NOS DW-8200's battery finally died and as many of you know the screwed case back says "authorized service center repair only".

My question is, do I need to send the watch to Casio for a battery replacement or is this something my local jeweler could handle? I will probably never take the watch diving but don't want to jeopardize the integrity of the water resistance by having just anybody open the case back.

Thoughts or experiences?
    Panerai PAM 00312
    Zuriner Depth Charge ZV01
    Olivier Bronze Diver Miyota #75
    Ancon SeaShadow California
    Omega Seamaster 300
    Omega Seamaster (1953 vintage)

Orsa Monstrum
    Seiko Professional 600 MMSD
    Seiko Golden Marinemaster SBDX012
    Seiko Emperor Tuna Rose Gold SBDX014
    Seiko Flightmaster SBDR001
    Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms
    Seiko 6309 (1977 vintage)
    Garmin fenix 2
    G-Shock MTG-S100D-1A4JF
    G-Shock GWN-1000C-1AJF Gulfmaster

G-Shock GWF-1000 Atomic Frogman
    G-Shock "Men In Rusty Black"
    G-Shock G-600 Cockpit

==============================
    We could not understand because we were too far and could not remember because we were traveling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign - and no memories. We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free. --Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Re: Frogman DW-8200 replacement battery

Hi,
    I had a watchmaker open my (now sold) DW-8200 once to mod it. If the guy knows what he's doing it'll be fine - but he'll probably need some professional tools - no way getting it open with a handheld watch-opener - they're shut too tight (if never before opened) and the titanium screwback produces more friction because titanium has a rougher surface than steel which will make it even harder to get open. He (or she) will need something like this:

c) Uhrmacherwerkzeug Uhrenwerkzeug Uhrenbeweger Uhrenboxen Uhrenteile Bergeon

And when it's shut again you should have it pressure-tested. On mine the gaskets were still good - so there was no need for spare parts. While the battery was changed and the mod done the bezel was off - it can be brittle however and it might be dangerous to take it off. I had a spare bezel which was sold on ebay - originally for the DB-8200BK but nowadays you might even get the bezel for the GF-8250 if any are already available for that model - sometimes it takes a while for the watch to be on the market before Casio starts producing and/or selling spares. You can aways dye it black if you don't like the yellow of the GF-8250.
    So there are a few thoughts involved but it should be OK to have it done by a watchmaker. Just make sure he's not trying to use a handheld tool - he/she might scratch up the screwback if the tool slips.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: Frogman DW-8200 replacement battery

OK - thank you for the information
    Panerai PAM 00312
    Zuriner Depth Charge ZV01
    Olivier Bronze Diver Miyota #75
    Ancon SeaShadow California
    Omega Seamaster 300
    Omega Seamaster (1953 vintage)

Orsa Monstrum
    Seiko Professional 600 MMSD
    Seiko Golden Marinemaster SBDX012
    Seiko Emperor Tuna Rose Gold SBDX014
    Seiko Flightmaster SBDR001
    Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms
    Seiko 6309 (1977 vintage)
    Garmin fenix 2
    G-Shock MTG-S100D-1A4JF
    G-Shock GWN-1000C-1AJF Gulfmaster

G-Shock GWF-1000 Atomic Frogman
    G-Shock "Men In Rusty Black"
    G-Shock G-600 Cockpit

==============================
    We could not understand because we were too far and could not remember because we were traveling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign - and no memories. We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free. --Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Thread Information