Frogman GF-1000 quick review... 2 weeks late

Thread: Frogman GF-1000 quick review... 2 weeks late

Frogman GF-1000 quick review... 2 weeks late

Got my first Frogman two weeks back after surfing this forum for the past few months. I had wanted to buy a premium G-shock so I guess (and hope) this one fits the bill.

It's got this nice asymmetric design that I really like. People who know G-shocks instantly know it's the Frogman. :)

The DLC coating was the main draw for me to choose this one over the final frog. Plus I prefer the colour scheme on the 1000 frog more than what I thought was "too many colours" on the final frog.

The watch itself is well-made. Probably better than the regular Gs like my daily G-350. I've always preferred analog for telling time so this one was really a purchase of passion. On hindsight, it now looks like an expensive gamble since I have not tried on this watch at all before owning it.

The buttons on the right look like triggers. Again, this won me over the standard buttons on the other frog models.

Overall quality is very impressive.

On to some personal thoughts on this watch after owning it for two weeks...

The GF-1000 feels like a premium G-shock and I am pleased with my purchase. It is nice to admire the solid construction and unique iconic design. I strongly encourage G collectors to have a 1000 Frog somewhere in their stable.

However, I'm afraid the same cannot be said when it comes to wearability and fit. Honestly, this is the most uncomfortable watch I've own. Yes, I know small wrist and big watch don't make sense in the first place. But I have been rocking a 53mm U-Boat for 4years with no complains about its comfort.

It seems like the GF-1000 is indeed meant for wearing over a dive suit only. While the case size does not actually post much problems, it is the design of the lugs that cause big discomfort. If you buckle the watch at the middle of the strap without wearing it and look at it from the side, it looks like a letter D. Now I wonder how many human wrists actually take that shape. As a result of this strange shape when you strap on the watch, it feels either too loose or too tight.

It's still early days to decide if this one stays or goes. All I can say is I am admiring it for its quality and aesthetics. It is good enough to simply hold the GF-1000 in my hand and see how nice it is. Perhaps the arrival of a final frog can help with the decision. :)

LUW

Re: Frogman GF-1000 quick review... 2 weeks late

Though I think it looks fantastic, to me a watch is only as good as it is comfortable to wear.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Thank you for the review, and your honesty in it. I did not like the Frog when I first saw them, didn't understand the hype. Then the more I saw more and more photos of all different kinds of Frogs, I found myself intrigued. Intrigue turned to interest as my taste moved toward larger sized watches until I finally broke down and bought the Dawn Black. I finally understood what was meant that you have to own one to appreciate it.... I loved it!

The 1000 series released, and I was not as fond of it as I had become of the 200 series. I thought it might had been just slightly too large, very expensive, and I had only seen it in person behind a display, and photos. Once again more and more photos surfaced, intrigue turned to interest, and it is now worn more often than most of my others.

Fit is definitely personal, I usually keep my watches slightly looser to account for wrist swelling in warmer afternoons particularly, and these Frogs don't tend to flop around too much on mine....but I also have larger wrists.

Thanks again for the great review and photos, hope it grows on you....if not, the Final Frog might do the trick for you.
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 5 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000GD-1JF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman

Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega SeaMaster Pro Ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003
    Omega Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz 2221.80
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agreed that fit is personal. I think both the 200 and 1000 series frogs will co-exist in my stable. That is before the missus murders me!

the 200 series frogman fits better on smaller wrists. Thanks for the review!
    Couple of watches here and there

Thread Information