Frogman or GX56
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Frogman or GX56

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Frogman or GX56

Hello all, in the market for a new gshock, my current gulfman has served me well over the past 5 or so years and the battery is on its way out and probably won't get it replaced, so, the next digital watch I get will be solar, I currently have an automatic diver (armida a4 domed) for dressy occasions and whatnot but want another gshock.

Got my eye on two watches, Frogman and the GX56, I know theres a big price difference between the models, even so I'm more leaning towards the Frogman. Plus I like the bigger watches.

What are your thoughts on each model? It will be mainly getting worn when out on the mountain bike, smashing the mountains and hills, plus trail running and in the gym and the occasional diving when on holiday.

Where's the best place online to buy either of the watches, that have a good selection of each model?

Kind regards.

Re: Frogman or GX56

I really like my gf8250er
    The blue tint of the LCD makes it all the more unique to look at; I like the colour scheme scheme as well.
    After I received my replacement bezel and band, I think this would be my beater of choice.
    One problem I've noticed with the watch is it doesn't really go with some parts of my wardrobe.
    For instance, I tried this with my brown leather bomber jacket, and it didn't work at all.
    But I guess if you only intend to wear this when you are doing outdoor activities, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  97.5 KB

Having said that though, I do like my GX56.
    It's massive, it's bold (mine is the orange, which I wouldn't recommend if you care about readability), it's very rugged, it's lighter than the frogman, it has all the functions I need as a sports watch and none of those that I don't need (such as the tide graph, moon phase, and dive timer), and it's a lot cheaper than the gf8250er.
    Whilst I plan to use my gf8250er as a beater, I don't think I will wear when I play football or do offroad mountain biking - you can replace the bezel and band all you want, but a scratched mineral crystal is a scratched mineral crystal. I don't think I'd be very pleased with that on any of my frogman...
    So if I know that I might be involved in activities that I would probably fall from time to time, and maybe land on my watch. Then I'd get this gx56.
    I think you can find most of them in reasonably acceptable price on eBay.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Name:  932eed00e3e492e070fbe87c585d2328.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  116.1 KB
    Last edited by angrypossum; September 18th, 2012 at 13:42.

Thanks, I was leaning towards the Frogman purely for the look of it but I think they should come with sapphire crystal instead of mineral glass. I probably wouldn't ever use the tide and moon graph these days, it did get used in the past though quite often.

Liking the all black version of the GX56. --> CASIO G-SHOCK, EXTRA X-LARGE, TOUGH SOLAR, GX56GB GX-56GB-1, BLACK x GOLD | eBay

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah I agree with you on the King, it looks fantastic.
    But if you haven't own g-shocks with negative displays before (I apologise if I am presuming too much), you might not like it after using it for a while.
    It is very stylish, but it's not the easiest thing to read.
    If the look of the frogman is what you want, I say go for it. You should be able to find a new gf8250er on eBay for about $370. If you are willing to pay that amount for a beater watch, I think you would have a good time with the frogman. (especially if you haven't own a frogman before)
    Or you could consider the cheaper gw-200z final frogman if you don't like the colour scheme of the gf8250er.
    I am currently in the process of getting one myself. I am really looking forward to it :)
    Name:  636622d1330244324-model-pick-gw-200z-1-3.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  77.9 KB
    Last edited by angrypossum; September 18th, 2012 at 14:16.

Since you prefer bigger watches and leaning towards Frogman, can consider the 1000 series.

Last edited by Snoweagle; September 18th, 2012 at 17:02.

frogman's quality of case and resin is better than King but it's heavy for everyday activity

For the sports you want to use it I would go for the GX-56 or GXW-56. It is lighter and, while mud-resistant, better equipped for the job. And it is better priced....
    I have the GX-56GB and the display is ok. It is my first negative display...

I know which ever I pick, I'll end up getting both eventually, lol. Will probably get the GX first though with a normal display, not negative.

finally got to try a GX on my wrist today ... and i must say, they are AWESOME ... if you dont have skinny wrists LoL ... but u can not deny the frogmans history

but if buying strictly for looks the KING takes the cake IMHO
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

The GX56 is all but officially discontinued.. so finding a good selection in one location (even online) might be difficult. I'd recommend adding any Frog to your pond first. Some say to save the best for last.. but I could have way more Froggies if I had realized their quality up-front. Get a Frog ;)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information