frogman is not diver's choice!

Thread: frogman is not diver's choice!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

frogman is not diver's choice!

frogman was developed as diver's watch, with its ISO certified etc. etc.,
    but is it still diver's choice?

i mean unlike 5600, 6900 which come in standard and various limited editions,
    the frogman nowadays only comes in limited edition.
    anyone who wants a tough workhorse, can easily pick up standard 5600 from a store or the net. but any diver who wants a workhorse, will he be able to find a standard frogman? since sometime ago, they are all ltd ed.: mirb, glorious gold, dawn black, master blue etc. and seems they are all for G fans like us.

perhaps any diver here, or those who visit divers' forum, can shed a light?

Re: frogman is not diver's choice!

Quote Originally Posted by tofu master View Post
    frogman was developed as diver's watch, with its ISO certified etc. etc.,
    but is it still diver's choice?

i mean unlike 5600, 6900 which come in standard and various limited editions,
    the frogman nowadays only comes in limited edition.
    anyone who wants a tough workhorse, can easily pick up standard 5600 from a store or the net. but any diver who wants a workhorse, will he be able to find a standard frogman?

NOT to mention the price! :( I can understand that Casio does not sell as many of the Frogs as they do some of the cheaper models, and I can also understand the additional feature the Frogs have that make them more expensive than some of the standard models too.

But given the demand for them, the fact that they sell ALL of them and sell out, and that this has also created not only a secondary market for them (us as "collectors", driving the price up even further than retail for models a few years old even), WHY do they not step production up at least a "little" then?

I have no problem w/ limited edition Frogs just as I have no problem w/ limited editions of other watches, but you think they'd at least give us a standard model in numbers available so all who want one could easily go down to their local retailer and get one?

The fact that I do not need the additional features the Frog has, can still appreciate the "peer" popularity of them here :), still makes me wish I had one, but the inflated price Casio has help create is what keeps me from even seriously considering one and being content w/ lesser models that are much more realistic in value for their cost.
    Eric

I have a DB Frog and love it. I have not dived in a while I have just snorkled along San Diego and Laguna Beach Ca. the Frog would not be my first choice, I have used my gulfman and would use my Orange Monster or my SKX175 before I would the frog. the bezel timer and lume without hitting a el button or flicking a switch . I know the Frog is a great watch but IMH not my first choice for a diver only. Also when I was diving I allways used a dive computer and I think at the time I wore my DW5700 standard G with screwdown case so I think my anwser is the Frogman worth it as a real dive watch I would say no there are lots of choices for much less than the asking price of 350 yes I know you can get lucky and get them cheaper sometimes as low as 225 but that is 100 over the Black Monster on overstock right now.
    Last edited by JERSTERCA; April 23rd, 2009 at 04:44.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Frogs are too pretty to dive in.

i found out that the analogue divers like from seiko could be a better choice. i also use them at night now, cause the lume is so strong, that you can read the time clearly all night, no need to push any button.

however, i guess there are many watches much cheaper that do the same work for diving.
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

I'm a frequent diver, and I've never understood why the Frogram would be a good choice for diving. I use a dive computer and as a back up, I usually go with my Doxa, Sub or old Seiko 007 ( I like larger analogues because I do a fair amount of low-visibility dives).

IMO, I just don't see the Frogman as offering anything useful for diving that even the 6900 doesn't.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

The Frogman in its present form is only a dive watch in name. I don't think the buttons are even designed to be operated under water.

I'd love to see a Frogman dive computer. I imagine that incorporating existing technology should pose no challenge for Casio. Frogman costs at least as much as the garden variety dive computer.

Quote Originally Posted by psikat View Post
    The Frogman in its present form is only a dive watch in name. I don't think the buttons are even designed to be operated under water.

I'd love to see a Frogman dive computer. I imagine that incorporating existing technology should pose no challenge for Casio. Frogman costs at least as much as the garden variety dive computer.

Ok, NOT looking to start a war w/ the Froggie fans here as if you like them and think they are worth what people ask for them great, you're intittled to you opnions and what you like.BUT, I'll ask again then, if they are not good for their intended purpose and even divers are backing that up, then WHERE is the value in their inflated price, other than in name only?

Seems kind of foolish and ony a "name" thing like "Polo" or "Nike" or such other things?

I'm sorry, I just don't see the justification for the inflated Frogs price when there are several other Gs out there in the line that DO offer features that are real world usefull (Muddmen, Risemen, Gulfmen) that are NO where near the expense of the Frog. :(

I hate to beat a dead horse, but again if I can dive w/ this -

....AND the display is plenty big to read underwater for $60, WHAT do I need a $500 Frog for? To impress my friends and the fish? :) J/K

Seriously though?
    Eric

Frogs are kept expensive because they are released in smaller numbers and punters continue to want them.
    Actual value has little to do with cost. Look at the MIRO Mudman as an example and work out the price premium for the colour change.
    Prices for items like the Frog will remain high for as long as the market will bear them.

Quote Originally Posted by esg2145 View Post
    ....AND the display is plenty big to read underwater for $60, WHAT do I need a $500 Frog for? To impress my friends and the fish? :) J/K
    You don't need a Frogman any more than you need a 6600 AND a 6900. You like something about each watch, you could afford it, and so you bought it. Same with Frogman owners.

As for why Casio continues the inflated price, psikat summed it up right. Simple supply and demand.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information