Frogman Question

Thread: Frogman Question

Frogman Question

As I have been looking for my first G-Shock, my attention keeps getting drawn towards the Frogman style. It seems to be a very nice looking watch with desirable features. It also seems to be very popular. As far as I can tell, this watch has been discontinued. Is there a reason for this? I am just wondering why Casio would discontinue what appears to be a very popular style.

I am also looking for some education here. I am torn between dropping $50 for a Mudman and $300+ for a Frogman. Are all Frogman watches "Japan Made" and of superior quality? Does this along with the limited availability contribute to the higher prices?

If I decided to go after a Frogman, what would be my best place to look for one? I have been primarily checking e-bay and the sales forum here.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Brimstone; February 12th, 2008 at 08:33.
    Seiko SBDC061
    Seiko PADI Samurai SRPB99
    Rolex 16610 Sub
    Rolex 16600 SD
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT
    G-Shock GD400-MB
    G-Shock Mudmaster GWG-1000-1A3JF
    Casio Pathfinder

Re: Frogman Question

As a frogman fan, I should try to answer your questions.

It is similar to Rolex's strategy in selling their stainless steel Daytona i.e. keeping the popularity and rareness of a specific model in a hope that it will lead the others' sales performance. I remember I had questioned this before but a salesman of a famourous watchshop asked me if the stainless steel Daytona could be found anywhere, would you still chase it up everyday? In the customer point of view, it is not good. But it is quite a common strategy in keeping a product or model ever hot.

However, Casio will issue new frogman model from time to time though they will still limit its quantity.

Both muddie and froggie are good. But if you want to have more eye catching watch and enjoy the feeling of owning a relatively rare G's, then go for frogman. Otherwise, any models can do.

Above is my humble opinion.

Wink Re: Frogman Question

If you like the Frogman, buy a frogman, if you like athe Mudman, buy the mudman. The new Mudman has about the same, or even more and better functions than the Frogman, but the frogman looks just awesome, if you like it.

In size the Mudman is significant smaller, the Frogman is about the largest G-Shock that's available (amongst some other rare older G's).

I think that Wah has written it very nice. Both watches are 200m (20bar) water resist. The Frogman is ISO certified, but you can dive with both safely to about 50m. I don't think many people dive that deep. I think that during diving the dynamic pressure might fluctuate maybe around 1 bar, so I won't worry too much about difference in quality.

And if you like and can afford the $300.- FROGMAN, you can also buy a Mudman as an extra watch for everyday use.

Cheers,

Sjors
    Last edited by Sjors; February 12th, 2008 at 09:25.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Buy what you like. Both are excellent watches.

The G-9000 Mudman is a functional masterpiece. Great mud resistance. Awesome strap. Very legible. Full-featured module.

The Frogman is quite different though. Titanium case. HUGE size. Solar power. Similarly featured, although older module.

If you just want a "beater", I'd go for the Mudman. For something very unique looking, and with tons of wrist presence, the Frogman is in a league of its own.

i would agree with everyone here. as a newbie, ive been reading about the mudman and frogman. i realized that the mudman is the best for the price to be a beater while if i were to buy a frogman, it will only get limited wrist time. since im broke as hell, mudman the best choice and no worrying bout getting abused. also, from the both pic posted from Buzzbait, both can be used to hold dip(preferably salsa) for chip.
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

Thread Information