Frogman -- Second Generation: DW-8200-1B

Thread: Frogman -- Second Generation: DW-8200-1B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Frogman -- Second Generation: DW-8200-1B

I just sprung for the DW-8200-1B, a second-generation Frogman. Does anyone know much about this model and/or can share their thoughts? Year? Module? Reliable?

Pictures borrowed from internet:

Thank you!
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

Re: Frogman -- Second Generation: DW-8200-1B

Never mind -- I searched again using "dw8200" instead of the official "dw-8200-1b," the latter of which didn't return much relevant info on the watch.

In any case, any comment or insight on this model will still be greatly appreciated!

Wow - great find, and in that condition?!?!

What can be said that hasn't been said by many DW-8200 freaks here...it is my favourite Frogman model out of 5 major Frogman series made so far. It exudes quality construction, chunkiness, metal is very exposed and visible all over.

For me this is a non-nonsense Frogman model, no gizmos like atomic reception, and I don't even mind it lacking solar panel. I prefer plastic inserts over solar panels anyway...I know it sounds weird but that's just me.

I also like how the crystal is mounted approx 0.5mm above the metal bezel ring and bevels down at 45 degrees. The caseback isn't as smooth in finish like 200 series but it's not bad.

Don;t forget this model accepts GW-200 series straps, they're identical and fully interchangeable, except that one says EL and another Tough Solar.

Wear it proud mate...these 8200 series Frogmen are VERY few and far between these days and go for a little fortune

cheers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice score, Johnny. This is a really rare one, and hard to find these days. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by powerband View Post
    I just sprung for the DW-8200-1B, a second-generation Frogman. Does anyone know much about this model and/or can share their thoughts? Year? Module? Reliable?

Pictures borrowed from internet:

Thank you!
    That's an amazing looking frog! If you don't mind me asking, did you buy that used or as "new" old stock? That watch looks new to me.

Congratulations on an excellent find!

I didn't mean to mislead you with the pictures above. They were indicated in the post as "borrowed from the internet," so this is not the actual watch. But the one I did purchase is brand new in box, so it should look exactly like this one. I got it for $250 from Altivo Timepieces (on amazon). When I ordered it, they indicated that they had only 1 in stock.

Great find, mate! Old skool Frogs rock.

I didn't mean to mislead you with the pictures above. They were indicated in the post as "borrowed from the internet," so this is not the actual watch. But the one I did purchase is brand new in box, so it should look exactly like this one. I got it for $250 from Altivo Timepieces (on amazon). When I ordered it, they indicated that they had only 1 in stock.
    Small world. I looked at that watch just last night over on the Altivo Timepieces web site. Great price on a classic and a very nice find! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by checknwatch View Post
    Small world. I looked at that watch just last night over on the Altivo Timepieces web site. Great price on a classic and a very nice find! Congratulations!
    What's funny is that, even though I ordered their only available one, Altivo (on amazon) still indicates that they have 1 in stock. According to an email today, the item has been shipped. Leads me to think that they have a few in stock but list it as only 1 in stock. Or they're [expletive deleted] with us. In which case I'd be screwed.

Anyone had any experience with Altivo? Are they salt of the earth?
    Last edited by tribe125; November 6th, 2009 at 12:07. Reason: expletive

MET

What's funny is that, even though I ordered their only available one, Altivo (on amazon) still indicates that they have 1 in stock. According to an email today, the item has been shipped. Leads me to think that they have a few in stock but list it as only 1 in stock. Or they're [expleteive deleted] with us. In which case I'd be screwed.

Anyone had any experience with Altivo? Are they salt of the earth?
    I was just on the phone with a Casio wholesaler in Hong Kong who informed me that he sold a 1B the other day for $3250.00 USD. That three in the front is not a typo. Not sure how much to believe of what he said. He also said that a GW200BC went for $2750.00 a couple of weeks ago.

Personally I think he got the exchange rate confused or something.
    Last edited by tribe125; November 6th, 2009 at 12:08.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information