Frogman ... Spring Bars ... Wimpy ?

Thread: Frogman ... Spring Bars ... Wimpy ?

Question Frogman ... Spring Bars ... Wimpy ?

This link, http://www.countycomm.com/milshock.htm was supplied by Sjors to help answer someone's question about G-Shocks being used in the military.

I was amused at the above link's use of the quote, "Wimpy chrome plated brass Spring bars have been replaced with solid stainless steel pins that won't rot out no matter how much salt, sweat and dust they are subjected to."

I realize the watch that was being "upgraded" on the above link was not a Frogman ... but, what kind of spring bars are used in the Frogmans?

I'm going to change my FM strap in the near future to a Zulu strap and as long as I'm in there working ... might as well change the spring bars to some "Bucky Bad" hard-use type while I'm at it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Briscoe

Re: Frogman ... Spring Bars ... Wimpy ?

There's nothing wrong with the spring bars used on the Frogman. They are all stainless steel, including the tensioning spring. Can they break? Yes, of course. But a straight stainless steel pin can bend to the point that it no longer seats in the bezel.

Personally, I'd rather change a spring bar than replace a solid pin.

The key is maintenance. If the watch is used in salt water or exposed to heavy perspiration a rinse in fresh water will prevent the spring bar from corroding.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Wink Re: Frogman ... Spring Bars ... Wimpy ?

My personal experience is that a the springbar is stronger than the resin of the case! When I preformed a drop test the strap adapter tore the springbar out of the case. The G-Shock itself worked great, of course.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

of course they have to put in phrases like that to make their SS pins sounds like a good idea

will a spring bar break? yes

will i worry about it? No

you should check out Seiko diver's fat spring bars, but they won't fit all straps

The thing with fixed bars is that you normally also use a single peice strap so if one bar fails the watch is still attached to your wrist.

I attended a line rescue course last year and one of our guys suffered a spring bar failure on his Timex 'Ironman' (guy was ex. Royal Marine), the watch fell 40ft but was still working, the button which operates the backlight did spring out and couldn't be found, but if it could have I think it would have been able to be pushed back in.

That experience made me switch back to G-shock for work watches as I knew non of my auto's would have survived that treatment.

Pete

my first timex ironman 100-lap also have the start/end button on the face of the watch popped out when i dropped it from table height

ironman works great, until you play it rough :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    The thing with fixed bars is that you normally also use a single peice strap so if one bar fails the watch is still attached to your wrist.

I attended a line rescue course last year and one of our guys suffered a spring bar failure on his Timex 'Ironman' (guy was ex. Royal Marine), the watch fell 40ft but was still working, the button which operates the backlight did spring out and couldn't be found, but if it could have I think it would have been able to be pushed back in.

That experience made me switch back to G-shock for work watches as I knew non of my auto's would have survived that treatment.

Pete
    If you mount a G-Shock on strap adaptors and a one piece zulu you get the same level of safety as if the watch were equipped with solid pin bars and a one piece strap. If one spring bar fails the watch is still attached to the strap by the opposing spring bar and strap adaptor.

Indeed, countycomm's own advertisement for the Mil-Shock states that further production of the watch is unlikely because of the widespread acceptance of strap adaptors.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan
    If you mount a G-Shock on strap adaptors and a one piece zulu you get the same level of safety as if the watch were equipped with solid pin bars and a one piece strap. If one spring bar fails the watch is still attached to the strap by the opposing spring bar and strap adaptor.

Indeed, countycomm's own advertisement for the Mil-Shock states that further production of the watch is unlikely because of the widespread acceptance of strap adaptors.
    That's the set up I have mike;

Hello Guncrossed:

Excellent setup! Though I'm now retired from the USAF as a pararescue jumper I am aware that the Frogman on strap adaptors and a solid zulu is fast becoming the watch of choice of many pararescue jumpers and combat controllers. Two of my former colleagues have added the feature of a Suunto compass on the strap.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan
    I am aware that the Frogman on strap adaptors and a solid zulu is fast becoming the watch of choice of many pararescue jumpers and combat controllers.
    wow

Thread Information