Future of the Giez line?

Thread: Future of the Giez line?

Future of the Giez line?

These watches appear to have everything I want…solar power, atomic timekeeping, shock proof, and some even automatically adjust the alignment of the second and minute hands (a brilliant idea as this is a common pet peeve of analog quartz enthusiasts).

But $400-500 for these watches…really? That would be more than I paid for my Seiko Spirit…a mechanical that will last my lifetime. I’m a little skeptical of the long-term durability of all the technology Casio has packed into the Giez line.

Admittedly, the exchange rate is killing us right now in the U.S., but even so, I have a hard time thinking of these watches as good value.

What do you think? Will Casio continue to develop these watches and hopefully bring down costs, or will this line be abandoned due to good ol’ supply and demand?

Re: Future of the Giez line?

Welcome to the forum.

Value is relative. It's been a long time since I bought a watch as inexpensive as $500, for example.

Prices are not as straight-forward as one might think. Casio makes limited runs of some models - even those not branded as 'limited editions' - and the street price curve at start, mid-run, and end-run of these models will fluctuate widely. Another factor is the mystique of Japan-only models drives the price way up from "generic" eBay sellers while those in the know can find better deals from the established exporters including Seiyajapan, Chino Watch or Higuchi. Or even second-hand here on the classifieds. And you are right that the exchange rate skews the topic even more.

As far as the future of the Giez line, I see it moving away from my tastes aesthetically while also becoming more expensive. I think they'll continue the sub brand as 'mostly analog' with bodies of 'mostly metal' and incorporate more and more color and 'pseudo bracelets' variations.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

I have Giez 1300B and paid $399 for it at Amazon; from what I can find out no more of these are in production.This is one of my favorite watches and it is well worth the money even at $500.

Watch collection is more than cost. For some it is design, others who like mechanical watches do so because of the high human engineering not using quantum mechanics.

If cheap accurate time is paramount, you can easily obtain this for under $20.

Watch collecting or appreciation watches cost is just one consideration to be put in one’s own evaluation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is this spec for a Spirit correct? Ouch.

Accuracy : +25/-15 sec/day

SEIKO Spirit Automatic 23 Jewels Spirit SCVS015 Made in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by GatorJ View Post
    Is this spec for a Spirit correct? Ouch.

Accuracy : +25/-15 sec/day

SEIKO Spirit Automatic 23 Jewels Spirit SCVS015 Made in Japan
    That's the quoted spec, but in practice a Spirit is far more accurate. Mine was +2 at the most.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Welcome.

That's a good question. I like the GIEZ models, but the price has kept me away. It's hard to compare them to Seiko since they are so different. There seems to be some crazy good deals on Seikos sometimes, and it would be nice if Casio had these prices too, but what can you do.

Quote Originally Posted by UMBC View Post
    I have a hard time thinking of these watches as a good value.
    That's because they are not a good value, and that's why they don't sell well.

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    As far as the future of the Giez line, I see it moving away from my tastes aesthetically while also becoming more expensive. I think they'll continue the sub brand as 'mostly analog' with bodies of 'mostly metal' and incorporate more and more color and 'pseudo bracelets' variations.
    Perfect summary.

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post

a-Tom-ic...thanks for the welcome .

I hope you are wrong, but I fear you may be right .

Thread Information