G-001: Voorhees!
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: G-001: Voorhees!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    LUW

Cool G-001: Voorhees!

The first time I saw a Jason (the original DW-001) was quite some time ago, even before I became a watch geek. At the time I had my 5600C but I didn't wear it anymore, my everyday watch was my PorTrek PRG-70. When I saw it was a G (I didn't have a clue until I saw "G-Shock" on the bezel), I was quite surprised. Back then I knew that the G wasn't just the square 5600 anymore, but I was surprised to see something so different from what I expected. And being honest, I didn't like it very much - it looked too bulky and despite the Holy Words written on the bezel, how the blazes could that thing be from the same Casio that made the all-mighty 5600 ?!?

If that same day somebody told me that about a decade later I would be wearing a G-001-1CDR I would have LOL . So as you can see, this model took around 10 years to grow on me . Well, maybe I would have gotten it earlier, but nowadays even the new versions are pretty scarce to come by - last month, when I casually found one on eBay (I was in fact searching for a yellow DW-003), I could only find 4 NIB offers of the vanilla version that would ship to my address.

But what matters is that I have a Jason. Today. In my watch box . Aesthetically speaking it's different from all my other models, because this is my first "factory stealth" model. Ok, the golden inserts in the straps kind of kill the stealthyness factor, but the thing is all black and low key .

It's surprisingly comfortable on the wrist, and I'm sure it has to do with those wings under the case, just like my G-7900A-RD. But now I can understand why some people hate the wings: depending on the shape and size of your wrist, they can be uncomfortable. So if you're thinking about getting a model that have the wings, my advice would be to try the watch on before buying.

Size-wise the Jason is on the big side, with 48.8 mm (!!) and a tall 18.8 mm of height. Looking at the numbers you could think it's cumbersome on the wrist, but because it's light (69 g), the presence of the wings (they steady the watch head on your wrist) and specially because of the smooth and round bezel, it's nice to wear, even under shirt sleeves. Compared to other models you can see it's on the hefty side.

The 3247 module is pretty pedestrian, and despite the watch having been released very recently in 2011, the module almost feels like something from the mid 90's. The SW and CT don't show HT, you have just 2 alarms and one snooze and that's it. On the bright side, the SW has a 5 seconds pre-launch feature, with beeps, so that does make it up. A little.

I would say it has a lot of character, but this model is just for us watch geeks. There are many Gs out there with MUCH better features, so I guess this one is a "collector's special". I enjoyed it a lot, though I do have one (important) issue with it: the buttons are recessed in the case, so they're not very easy to press, specially when wearing gloves.

And before someone asks, no, I'm not a fan of Mr. Voorhees. I just dig his watch .
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Re: G-001: Voorhees!

the G001 is def one of the cooler less popular pieces, i like mine a lot too .... thanks for the great post!
    Last edited by kandyredcoi; September 18th, 2012 at 07:08.
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

Welcome to the club. I love my Jason and I am hoping to get a couple more. This model fits me like a glove and is much more comfortable on my wrist than my GR-7900. My Rasta Jason says hi:

TedDotCom and kandyredcoi like this.
    My Collection
    Citizen: Skyhawk Blue Angels Edition
    Nixon: 51-30 Chrono
    G-Shock: DW-6900 x3, DW-6930 (Basel) x1,G-001 x1, GA-100 x2, GA-110 x16 (2 Collabs: Maharishi & Eric Haze), GD-350 x2, GDF-100 x1, GD-X6900 x2, GR-7900 x1, GW-5510 x1, GX56 x2, Riseman G-9200 x2, Mudman G-9300 x2, G-9330 (Rising Red) x1, GW-9330 (Initial Blue) x1, Frogman GF-1000 x1, Gravity Defier GW-A1000 x2, GW-A1100 x1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cool! A new Jason fan.

My Jason G-001 says hi!

Name:  photosep17214913.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  124.8 KB

I'll see if i can get my other Jasons to say hi too...
    kiwidj likes this.
    Wearing a different G-SHOCK ​everyday.

Congratulations on your new Jason, I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do with mine. As you may already know, I love the Jason models and have three of my own and while everybody else discounts them as a novelty model and nothing really too serious. I find it to be a refreshingly different option even if it is quite an old design, it also beats my G7900 in the comfy department. I have seen this colour combo here before on the forum and it really does photograph very well, I think I will be considering ordering this particular Jason if I ever lift my self enforced buying ban.

Congrats again, wear it in good health.

LUW

Thanks guys!
    I'm very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dobber72 View Post
    ...it also beats my G7900 in the comfy department.
    You know, right now I would say it's as comfortable as my 7900, but since I only got it last week, this could change.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

i would say the 7900 is a bit more comfotable but it doesnt give the same wrist presence as this watch does IMHO

crazy how the visual dimensions almost rivals that of a frogman .... holy $hI7!!!!

LUW

I would never had imagined how big the thing is on the wrist... Proof that sometimes numbers (dimensions) don't mean much.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

nice essay as always ;)

I look forward to owning a Jason one day

LUW

Thanx G-fob! As I said, for a g-shockaholic I think it's a great buy, I would even go as far as saying that it's a must buy.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information