G-5600J: What is BRT? and LCD washout?

Thread: G-5600J: What is BRT? and LCD washout?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question G-5600J: What is BRT? and LCD washout?

If you look at the G-5600J screen at an angle, you can see the text "BRT" right above the tens-of-seconds digit in the same location as "SNZ", "ALM", and "SIG". What is "BRT"?

Also, after replacing the CTL1616 battery, I put the watch outside in direct sunlight for about 2 to 3 hours. When I checked on it, the screen was blacked out, as if the LCD was all smeared about 80 percent of the central part of the screen in a disk-pattern. The watch was warm-to-hot. I took the watch inside, and as it cooled down the black wash-out problem went away and the screen looks normal. But, I was really worried. The manual cautions that the watch could get hot in direct sunlight. It even offers the time of 5 hours to take the charge from zero to full in direct sunlight. But, this LCD black-out is not mentioned. Is it not a problem? Is my watch defective?

Thanks.
    later,
    James
    regards,
    James
    | GW-9010-1; Mudman Rally Timer; August 22, 2012 | GS-1150-1; Giez; 2011 | DW-9700NC-8T; Helly Hansen; Sept 20, 2010 | G-8000F-9DR; Sept 18, 2010 | GW-9200; Riseman; June 29, 09 | DW-1000: pre-G; orig 1982; refurb Sept, 06 | GL-150-8v; ~2001 | G-7000D-8v; ~2000 | G-5600J; RECOVER plagued | G-8000F-4DR; Feb 26, 2007 | Giez GS-1001-7ADR; Jan 3, 2008 | three data bank calculators | BG-148; ~2000 |

Re: G-5600J: What is BRT? and LCD washout?

Most manuals that I have skimmed over,have made reference to the "black out" phenomenon. The manual states that prolonged exposure to direct sunlight may cause the display to exhibit the symptoms which you described and that normal operation would resume once it cooled down. Based on this information, your watch exhibited a normal reaction.

Many people will agree with me when I say that, exposing a watch to direct sunlight long enough for it to "black out" on many occasions is certainly not good for it. If it happens once or twice its not a big deal. Try to avoid it in the future.

What you saw was melting of the liquid crystals in the display. Here's a RealPlayer video clip showing what happens when you heat up a LCD display on a computer monitor (down around the middle of the page): http://nobelprize.org/educational_ga...stals/history/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    What you saw was melting of the liquid crystals in the display. Here's a RealPlayer video clip showing what happens when you heat up a LCD display on a computer monitor (down around the middle of the page): http://nobelprize.org/educational_ga...stals/history/
    Thanks for the information.
    I'll be sure not to put the watch in direct sunlight where it can over heat.

But, now I'm back with the RECOVER issue. I've been wearing this G-5600J with a new CTL1616 battery for two days, now. I've fully charged it, as far as I can tell. I haven't stressed the EL light: only used it about 4 times. However, the watch exhibits the exact same RECOVER behavior as before I replaced the battery:

- puch mode button to enter Time Remaining mode
    - push and hold the "A" button to enter "TR" setting
    - set the desired TR hour and minute
    - push "A" to lock in the desired TR time
    - push "D" to start the countdown timer...
    ...and, boom, the watch immediately goes into RECOVER fro about 4 to 5 minutes.

This happens upon the first time I choose to set the TR timer even after hours of not using the EL, any alarms, or even pushing the A button to change modes. But, after the system has stopped flashing RECOVER, then I don't have this problem, I can set the TR timer and all is fine for the next countdown: no RECOVER issue.

I don't get it. Bad circuit board rather than bad battery? Glitch in the module program? Bizaare.

It's getting to the point where I will just go buy a $40 DW-5600E from Wal-Mart and just deal with changing the battery if I have to. Plus, I would actually prefer to have the Auto-Repeat countdown timer on the DW-5600E. The G-5600J doesn't offer Auto-Repeat countdown timer.

I opt not for the atomic GW-5600 since I want to see the current time in the countdown timer mode. The DW-5600E has the plus of showing the current time in the Stop-Watch mode, as well, and I like that.
    But, maybe that JCPenny sale on the GW-5600 is just too good to pass up again!

Argh!
    regards,
    James
    | GW-9010-1; Mudman Rally Timer; August 22, 2012 | GS-1150-1; Giez; 2011 | DW-9700NC-8T; Helly Hansen; Sept 20, 2010 | G-8000F-9DR; Sept 18, 2010 | GW-9200; Riseman; June 29, 09 | DW-1000: pre-G; orig 1982; refurb Sept, 06 | GL-150-8v; ~2001 | G-7000D-8v; ~2000 | G-5600J; RECOVER plagued | G-8000F-4DR; Feb 26, 2007 | Giez GS-1001-7ADR; Jan 3, 2008 | three data bank calculators | BG-148; ~2000 |

Quote Originally Posted by jmathis
    I opt not for the atomic GW-5600 since I want to see the current time in the countdown timer mode. The DW-5600E has the plus of showing the current time in the Stop-Watch mode, as well, and I like that.
    But, maybe that JCPenny sale on the GW-5600 is just too good to pass up again!

Argh!
    True, very low price for the GW... I had one for a while, but I didn't really like it. Lacks the "24 hour countdown timer adjustable to the second" (and _still_ displays current time) that the older 5600E has... and for some reason, all the buttons on the GW-5600 are sorta recessed, harder to press than the DW version's. And err, maybe I didn't read the manual as well as I thought I had, but you can only scroll through World Time in one direction so to me, the function was rather useless (I could probably figure out the GMT differential faster than scrolling through all that!). The stainless steel back and the tougher band were nice, overall the watch looks great but the module needs a little work...

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicSolar
    True, very low price for the GW... I had one for a while, but I didn't really like it. Lacks the "24 hour countdown timer adjustable to the second" (and _still_ displays current time) that the older 5600E has... and for some reason, all the buttons on the GW-5600 are sorta recessed, harder to press than the DW version's. And err, maybe I didn't read the manual as well as I thought I had, but you can only scroll through World Time in one direction so to me, the function was rather useless (I could probably figure out the GMT differential faster than scrolling through all that!). The stainless steel back and the tougher band were nice, overall the watch looks great but the module needs a little work...
    Thanks for the response.

My G-5600J just isn't working out.
    Even with SLEEP mode turned on, when I wake up in the early morning-- before sunrise-- and press the EL light...nothing, it goes straight into RECOVERY, and no light. Right now my G-5600J feels useless and unreliable. Couldn't have been a bad new battery-- could it?

I think I'm going to go back to my stainless steel G-7000D and keep searching for a mostly black (no shiny bits) G-Shock- either the 2310 with gold lettering or the 5600E. I do like the telememo and multi-alarm on the 7000D and the 2310, but I also like the classic 5600 style.
    regards,
    James

Wow, sorry to hear all this about the G-5600...

Especially since I semi-recommended it on another forum to somebody looking for their first G. I THOUGHT I preferred it over the GW-5600 because of the now-common nature of the GW due to its availability at JCPenney. But, more and more I'm thinking my decision to get a DW version was the right one. I've always wanted the classic case, tided myself over with a GW-300 a few months ago (in which I hope the battery holds up ), and finally made good with a DW-5600EB a couple weeks ago. In any event, I hope you find the 5600 you really want and actually get to wear it some without all the .

Good luck.

Wink Re: G-5600J: What is BRT? and LCD washout?

ISn't the BRT mistery not solved yet? It's probably the mark in a test mode to show the solar cell is warking. No TLT also somewhere?

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by jmathis
    If you look at the G-5600J screen at an angle, you can see the text "BRT" right above the tens-of-seconds digit in the same location as "SNZ", "ALM", and "SIG". What is "BRT"?

Also, after replacing the CTL1616 battery, I put the watch outside in direct sunlight for about 2 to 3 hours. When I checked on it, the screen was blacked out, as if the LCD was all smeared about 80 percent of the central part of the screen in a disk-pattern. The watch was warm-to-hot. I took the watch inside, and as it cooled down the black wash-out problem went away and the screen looks normal. But, I was really worried. The manual cautions that the watch could get hot in direct sunlight. It even offers the time of 5 hours to take the charge from zero to full in direct sunlight. But, this LCD black-out is not mentioned. Is it not a problem? Is my watch defective?

Thanks.
    later,
    James

The heat may have killed your new battery, or your new battery could be defective. Electronics HATE heat.

Normally I avoid anything with the CTL battery for reasons like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cdude
    The heat may have killed your new battery, or your new battery could be defective. Electronics HATE heat.

Normally I avoid anything with the CTL battery for reasons like this.
    Ugh, then way does CASIO even suggest putting the watch in direct sunlight; ie, they have a chart in the manual that indicates to take the battery from zero charge level to full charge in direct sunlight (50000 lux) it takes 5 hours. It was morning 7am to 9:30 or 10am, and not more than 75 degrees outside. Oh, well, maybe I fried it.

But, this evening, when I got home, after the watch was sitting in my bedroom, on its side, having gotten only scant filtered light through one window with the curtains pulled, I thought, lets push the EL light once, and not push any other buttons. EL work fine, without going into RECOVERY. Great! I didn't try the TR countdown timer, and just put the watch back on my shelf.

It's just so random. I could try to work around it if I could find some pattern or consistency, but not knowing if it'll bonk or not drives me nuts.

I want to remind that I bought this G-5600J off eBay recently, so maybe E-vendors have new stock that don't have this problem?
    regards,
    James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information