WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

G-7700 special editions for Nov.

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  ewan.w 
#1 ·
For fans of G-7700(like myself), here are 2 special editions of this highly under-rated and under-spoken watch for the month of Nov.

G-7700G-9JF Treasure Gold

*From the price in Yen, I believe it is just gold plated. Not solid gold.*

http://www.e-casio.co.jp/shop/goods/goods.asp?goods=G-7700G-9JF&category=101010

G-7700LV-7JF Precious Heart Selection 2007

http://www.e-casio.co.jp/shop/goods/goods.asp?goods=G-7700LV-7JF&category=101010

Everyone should just stop talking about those Mud/Gulf/Frog man watches already. :roll:

See less See more
#4 ·
the G-7700 is certainly a nice watch and has good timing features but somehow it doesn't do anything for me, much less those fancy looking special editions. I don't like white watches, I don't like gold in any form and I don't like glossy black when I can have dull black, sorry.

regards, holger

#5 ·
I quite like the colour schemes on both those. They look quite striking. However, I don't like the G7700. The display looks like one of those cash register receipts I can never understand. :think:

#8 ·
I'm hoping they put module 3095 into a more traditional-looking G, then I will buy it.

As things stand, this is a very cool module, beats the pants off most of the older G-modules b/c it is user-configurable in areas that really matter: timers, alarms, stopwatch, you name it. And to show that they were really paying attention, they have made the hourly time signal configurable so you can effectively turn it off at night only. This is the main reason I don't use the hourly chime now -- I don't want it going off at night to wake me up.

I'm on the fence with this model, I look at it as an upgrade from my PAW-1300 in the following areas:

-- no atomic (a plus for me)
-- no tough solar (plus for me)
-- user configurable across the board
-- no compass, alti, baro (I don't need them)
-- LED lights!
-- fifth light button
-- relatively cheap

downgrade in these areas:

-- over looks of the display, small-ish
-- strap inferior
-- can't see current time in STW and CDT modes

so, a dilemma

#11 ·
-- can't see current time in STW and CDT modes
I got one of these (standard version) recently and actually the current time is displayed in the timer mode, but not in the stop watch mode (a bit of a bummer - I'd rather see it the other way around). Also, it has two sequential 999 minute countdown timers, but the stop watch is limited to 9 hours (well, 9 hrs, 59 minutes, 59.999 seconds) - 1/1000 sec. stopwatch.

I hate the apparent trend of going away from countdown timers or limiting them (and the stopwatch in some cases) to 60 minutes max. Personally, my ideal is 24 hrs for both STW and CDT.

This watch is very functional but takes some getting used to (the display really is busy). I like the round display but could do without the little "window" in the upper left. I also like some of the user-controlled features. Overall, it's not perfect but fits a need.

#10 ·
The screen does look a little cluttered but I've gotten used to it. Mudman is also a little cluttered and I'm also used to it as well.

Strap feels like any other G-Shock, so I don't know why you say it is inferior. One plus point about the strap is the clasp doesn't slide around. There is some kind of grooves "locking" the clasp where you place it. And if you want to move it, you have to apply some strength. Even the popular Mudman and Gulfman clasp slides around.

I have to admit, when I 1st saw the G-7700 on the internet, I never thought much of it. I found the screen extremely complicated and "Oh.... Just another G-Shock".... But I went to a store to try it on and bought it soon after. Wanted to buy it immediately but unfortunately I needed clearance from my finance manager. :-d

The comfort level is very high on this one. Much better than a Mudman, Gulfman, whatever Man. It is very light and have nothing rough or vice-like to grip your wrist both on the back and the strap.

The screen is complicated but it is easy to read when it is on your wrist. I thought it is hard when I saw the pic on the net but when I tried it on I found it to be untrue. The negative display model is also VERY MUCH easier to read than say, the green Mudman and the Metallix-G series. Guess Casio really improved in this negative display area.

You can also set it to show how many days of the year has passed and how many remaining. The 181-184 on the 1st pic, top screen column shows 181 days has passed and 184 days remaining.

And the lap time function and ability to time and display in laps really come in handy for a runner. You can also set a 5 sec countdown timer on the stopwatch. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and GO! Plus you can recall the last stopwatch time thanks to the memory function.

Casio really listened to their customers on this one. And this is the MOST comfortable G-Shock I have ever owned. I hope there are more special editions based on this one.

#12 ·
I was window shopping in town today and took a look in H Samuels, one of the 2 places in town that stocks G-Shocks. I expected to see the same old rubbish, but was surprised to see a couple of new additions. There were 2 G-Spikes (I think that's what you call them) with reverse displays - one on the bund-like strap, and a black G7700.

So a big thank you to Casio for adding 3 more G-Shocks I don't like to my local selection, though I must concede the black G7700 did look nicer in person, and was only £49.99 (cheap round these parts). £10 cheaper and I may have been tempted.

#21 ·
Hi GeeBeeCee

Nice to see someone likes the 7700! :-!

You say that it's the most comfortable G you have worn - any particular reason for this? I'm looking for a new G at the moment and like the features of the 7700 a lot. However, I have smallish wrists and within reason would like something which I can wear and forget. Do you have any wrist shots?

Thanks

Ewan

#22 ·
Hi GeeBeeCee

Nice to see someone likes the 7700! :-!

You say that it's the most comfortable G you have worn - any particular reason for this? I'm looking for a new G at the moment and like the features of the 7700 a lot. However, I have smallish wrists and within reason would like something which I can wear and forget. Do you have any wrist shots?

Thanks

Ewan
It just felt right on my wrist. Not too big and not too small. The rest you can find in the post I made above.

Sorry, I don't have a cam right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.