G-7900 Newbie Question

Thread: G-7900 Newbie Question

G-7900 Newbie Question

Hi everybody. I've never owned a G-shock before, so this will be my first purchase. I dive quite often, including shore dives, so I wanted a watch with Tide and Moon functions. I originally looked at a Gulfman (difficult to find) and a Frogman (difficult to find and too expensive) and finally settled on a G-7900 Rescue. I like the 7900-2 for the blue and yellow color scheme (my dive gear is blue and yellow, so why not my watch as well), but I've noticed listings for a 7900-2D and a 7900-2E. Looking at pictures of them, I cannot see a difference. Does anyone know what the difference in the last letter designation is? Thanks!

Name:  casio-g-7900-1er-g-7900-2er-g-7900-3er.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  67.5 KB
    Last edited by DiveCon2007; October 10th, 2013 at 17:46.
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SKX009 Diver
    Casio GW-9110 Gulfman G-Shock
    Citizen ProMaster Diver BN0150-28E

Re: G-7900 Newbie Question

My bet is it is a region thing. Maybe a watch meant for the European market is G-7900-2E and for the US market it is G-7900-2D.
    But let's wait for someone with more knowledge to pop up.

I myself would buy whatever watch I could get cheapest.
    Last edited by captain kid; October 10th, 2013 at 17:47.

Quote Originally Posted by captain kid View Post
    My bet is it is a region thing. Maybe a watch meant for the European market is G-7900-2E and for the US market it is G-7900-2D.
    But let's wait for someone with more knowledge to pop up.

I myself would buy whatever watch I could get cheapest.
    After looking so more, that's my guess as well. I noticed the 2D models seemed to be offered more on domestic sites, while the 2E seemed to be more European sites. Thanks!
    Seiko SKX009 Diver

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yep don't worry about the letters that come after the model number, as they are normally just market designation codes (there are exceptions). Have a look at the resources thread second post for a comprehensive description :)

Good choice on the G-7900 btw, it's a well respected model here. You might want to take a look at the G lide series aimed at surfers and water sporty people if you're after moon and tide features. For example There's a GLX-6900 which is exactly the same module as the 7900 but in 6900 casing- less bulky :)

Sent from the 'droid. now Free

DiveCon2007,

captain kid is right the difference has to do with which region of the globe they were to be sold. It is a common question. Both watches are the same.

I have the black on right now and am looking at purchasing the blue and red.

Enjoy,
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping the purchase of this first one doesn't start me trying to collect them. I have enough expensive hobbies already...
    Last edited by DiveCon2007; October 10th, 2013 at 20:19.
    Seiko SKX009 Diver

Quote Originally Posted by Sengyoku View Post
    Yep don't worry about the letters that come after the model number, as they are normally just market designation codes (there are exceptions). Have a look at the resources thread second post for a comprehensive description :)

Good choice on the G-7900 btw, it's a well respected model here. You might want to take a look at the G lide series aimed at surfers and water sporty people if you're after moon and tide features. For example There's a GLX-6900 which is exactly the same module as the 7900 but in 6900 casing- less bulky :)

Sent from the 'droid. now Free
    This is exactly right on all counts. You may find the larger buttons on the G-7900 easier to manipulate than those on the GLX-6900.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveCon2007 View Post
    ....I'm hoping the purchase of this first one doesn't start me trying to collect them. I have enough expensive hobbies already...
    Well, good luck with that! The forum is full of people who "caught the bug" and started adding more and more G's. (I'm one of the worst offenders.)

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

^ No kidding! Your G-lide collection alone would dwarf perhaps 90% of the WUS G-Shock member collections.

The G-7900 is a nice choice. Very competent watch all around. If you use it for swimming/diving in salt water quite a lot, just be sure to get it thoroughly rinsed off (especially the stainless steel back plate) and periodically pop off the bezel to clean off salt residue that may collect underneath and/or around button stems.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Thread Information