G-7900 vs GW-7900

Thread: G-7900 vs GW-7900

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-7900 vs GW-7900

Looking at the pictures of the GW-7900, it appears to have a higher grade module in that its graphic depicts spring, intermediate, and neap tides. I was wondering if the moon phase is also more complete (like the PAW1500) with more segments in the graphic? What are some of the other differences beside the obvious?

Re: G-7900 vs GW-7900

I thought the moon phase was 8 segment on both which would suggest equalivalent accuracy but then it all depends on how you're able to set them.

Can either be set for any longitude and intertidal interval?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    I thought the moon phase was 8 segment on both which would suggest equalivalent accuracy but then it all depends on how you're able to set them.

Can either be set for any longitude and intertidal interval?
    Your are right, the moon segments on the Pathfinder and the G7900 are both 8 segment, the difference is the Pathfinder changes one segment per phase and the G7900 two segments per phase. In the moon/tide mode the updates are much quicker on the G7900 but a less accurate rendition.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

how can you use the moon-phase function? what you use it for?

does it make any sence to have wave/tide function and moon phase, when i dont live near an ocean?
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

Quote Originally Posted by fonklover View Post

does it make any sence to have wave/tide function and moon phase, when i dont live near an ocean?
    Is this a rhetorical question? Since the price of the GW model is about twice the price of the G model, I was just wondering what would justify the additional cost.
    Last edited by bulldog15; October 6th, 2009 at 16:48.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog15 View Post
    Is this a rhetorical question? Since the price of the GW model is about twice the price of the G model, I was just wondering what would justify the additional cost.

seemed like a fair question. i.e. why would a more accurate tide graph be a value to someone that wasn't near the beach.

but the watches are really too different, i think. atomic and not, 2 stopwatches or not, very different displays, perhaps low-temperature lcd versus not.... another issue, one was released to the us - thus cheaper - and one not.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    seemed like a fair question. i.e. why would a more accurate tide graph be a value to someone that wasn't near the beach.

but the watches are really too different, i think. atomic and not, 2 stopwatches or not, very different displays, perhaps low-temperature lcd versus not.... another issue, one was released to the us - thus cheaper - and one not.
    And the way I see it, fonklover is the only one who can answer his own question.

Again, I was wondering if there is more to this upgrade than meets the eye.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by fonklover View Post
    If you are an amateur astronomer and you want to observe some Deep Sky Objects for instance, the best night is one with New Moon and the worst night is one with Full Moon. Of course, you also need clear skyes, as little as possible light polution and stable atmosphere.

Moon function is cool.

You look at your watch and you know what the moon will look like when it becomes visible.

Some religious festivals, e.g. Easter or Diwali, depend on the moon phase.

I remember deeply impressing my friends when, last March, I without a calendar, calculated the date of Easter Sunday, using only my head and my watch! (The formula is: the Sunday following the first full moon after the 21st March (which is the understood approximation of Spring Equinox)).

For Diwali, its main day is when the new moon occurs, and, yes, it's the next new moon this October (it's always in autumn and the exact date is determined by Indian lunar calendar).

Moon phase and tide display always seem to be bundled in watches. Most likely due to them being bundled in real life (moon causing the tides). With that said not being near the sea I'd not object to a moon phase without tide info on a watch. Tide data is mostly useless to me. While moon phase into is a nice curiosity.

What's nice about the G-7900 is the moon display is as big or bigger than the tide. Normally it's the other way round.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information