G-9000 and GW-9000

Thread: G-9000 and GW-9000

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool G-9000 and GW-9000

Good day,
    I know of one or two more threads of the same subject as mine, but I would like to point that I did not find an answer to my questions (especially in the "POLL" one, where 52% vs 48% voted for GW-9000). My questions are mainly for the GW-9000 OWNERS - I am mainly concerned about the solar battery and is it reliable enough. If the G-9000 had Atomic Time, I wouldn't hesitate, because it definately looks much better.

1. How long have you had the watch?
    2. Did you have any problems?
    3. How long did it take to charge the battery from "no charge" to full (and I mean full full ;)?
    4. Under what weather conditions did you charge the watch?
    5. Is the solar power of GW-9000 reliable?

I've seen the Manual for the GW-9000 and calculated that it would take approximately 14 days for it to charge to full (with no charge in battery, as I expect it to be on delivery) in cloudy days (worst conditions). Is that correct? When fully charged the Manual says that you can use it for 9 months (under the conditions specified), but I recon that with Auto-EL on, it'll last 4 months. Is this a realistic assumption?

Also, in Bulgaria, there isn't a customer service for Casio FROM Casio and therefore - if I have a problem with my solar battery, I would have to send it back to the USA (that's where I'm purchasing from) and that is very costly.

Which one would you suggest?

Wink Re: G-9000 and GW-9000

Hello ЯOBÖT,

As far as I know I have not heard problems with the GW-9000 battery, but Bulgaria is probably quiet a distance from Mainflingen, Germany. It might be hard to receive the signal. If you like the look of the G-9000 more, why don't go for the G-9000. The batteries for those models are easy to find everywhere. Casio gives the watches a accuracy of +/- 15 seconds a month. Most of them are much more accurate. Even with 15 seconds a month, this makes the watch off one minute in 4 month. I think that's pretty acceptable.

I have tested a lot of G-Shock horizontally (compared within a model)a year ago. Check out the results and conclussion.

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Picture Re: G-9000 and GW-9000

Welcome to the Forum,

The G-9000 is a nice G-shock.....great functions, check out the specs., Casio did a nice job with this one; wears well on the wrist; have had mine for over a year; can't speak about the GW-9000......nice "G", but the display just doesn't work for me...........hope this helps.

Brad
    Brad
    Have a great day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: G-9000 and GW-9000

Quote Originally Posted by ЯOBÖT View Post
    1. How long have you had the watch?
    G-9000 July 2007
    GW-9000 December 2007

2. Did you have any problems?
    None so far, except for a bug in the GW-9000's module. If you disable the alarm 1, it also silently disables all other enabled alarms.

3. How long did it take to charge the battery from "no charge" to full (and I mean full full ;)?
    Never needed yet. It arrived full and stayed that way so far.

4. Under what weather conditions did you charge the watch?
    Even if I don't wear it, I put it in the window or on a table on the balcony. Usually when the sky is not too cloudy.

5. Is the solar power of GW-9000 reliable?
    Some people doubt the long-term reliability of the CTL1616 battery, but the majority of reports seem to point to a module going bad instead. Seems like we need to wait some more before making a judgement about the CTL1616 in the GW-9000.

When fully charged the Manual says that you can use it for 9 months (under the conditions specified), but I recon that with Auto-EL on, it'll last 4 months. Is this a realistic assumption?
    That's pretty hard to say, because it depends highly on what you're doing while using the watch with Auto-EL enabled. Some activity causes the EL to light up much more frequently than others. In general, I would advise against enabling it during general use and only enable it when needed for a certain time.

Also, in Bulgaria, there isn't a customer service for Casio FROM Casio and therefore - if I have a problem with my solar battery, I would have to send it back to the USA (that's where I'm purchasing from) and that is very costly.
    In the worst case you should be able to send it to Casio Europe in Germany. I don't think that you will need to send it to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MRG-1000 View Post
    Some people doubt the long-term reliability of the CTL1616 battery, but the majority of reports seem to point to a module going bad instead. Seems like we need to wait some more before making a judgement about the CTL1616 in the GW-9000.
    Addendum,

Note there are many people here on this forum owning one or more GW-9000 models, and as far as i know there was no report of one failing.

I know when the GW-300 (JP version) came on the US market, the complaints were almost immediately and the same for a batch G-5600 (Vipers). This happened almost 5 years ago!

Also if a G-Shock fails, somehow people look often for information, so if a model fails, it is heard here a lot.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Off Topic post Re: G-9000 and GW-9000

I appreciate the fast replies - especially for a new guy.
    In order of appearance:

Sjors (I thought you would be first; very honored, I must say :) - on some maps they display Bulgaria outside the range diameter of the towers in Mainflingen. But those only display a 1500km range. The real one is 2000km (http://www.dcf77.com) and we fit in there. Moreover - I've read in our forums that other people use the technology successfully even in my city (Varna, right on the coast of the Black Sea). That would be no problem.
    I've never really thought about the accuracy so much. That's a very good point that made me thinking. And if most of them really are much more accurate (I recon the new models should be, if any), than that's something new. Thank you.
    Do you know of a larger battery (that will last longer with no damage to the watch) for the G-9000?

brad15470 (expected you too, I've read in several topics that you own a G-9000 ;) - I've probably viewed all the pictures of this watch in the internet and this one I even have on my HDD (nice one). Thank you for providing it. This is an important factor:
    How is the battery doing and what are your usage conditions?

MRG-1000 (very accurate answer - that's what I've expected, when writing the numbers before the questions and you even sorted out the unnumbered ones ) - the bug doesn't disturb me. Hoped for an answer about the time for charging, but not having to charge it is a very good answer nonetheless. I can't find information about the recharging in cloudy days (but I probably worry too much about that, with the global warming and all ;). Yes, the module is my main concern after the battery itself, because it's very delicate, in my opinion, and I would probably abuse the watch more than I think. The Auto-EL is probably something that I'll just want in the beginning (you know how it is ;), so no biggie there.
    Are you sure that I wouldn't have to send the watch all the way back to the US, because I've bought it from there?

P.S: Sjors - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
    Last edited by ЯOBÖT; February 13th, 2008 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by brad15470 View Post
    Welcome to the Forum,

The G-9000 is a nice G-shock.....great functions, check out the specs., Casio did a nice job with this one; wears well on the wrist; have had mine for over a year; can't speak about the GW-9000......nice "G", but the display just doesn't work for me...........hope this helps.

Brad
    You have right man i have my G9000 for a week and it's very gentleman.It's earns the money and the specs.I am a man that ia like the functions so i buy it for this and so far it's the best choice of my watch epilogi.G9000 for ever.

Do you know of a larger battery (that will last longer with no damage to the watch) for the G-9000?
    I don't think that it's possible to fit any other battery type in there as the module ecapsulates the battery with no spare room on any side.

Hoped for an answer about the time for charging, but not having to charge it is a very good answer nonetheless.
    Take note that this also depends quite a bit on the way you use the watch. If you use lots of illumination and alarm (the major power drainers in a G-SHOCK), you'll need to take care of charging much more than if you use light and sound once every few days.

As you'll see in the manual, a "typical" Casio day consists of one illumination and one full-length alarm. This, in addition to one atomic sync and timekeeping requires between 5 minutes of full sunlight and several hours under artificial lighting. Each additional light/alarm requires accordingly more charging.

Therefore, if your average day doesn't "overuse" those two drainers, you'll be fine without thinking about charging. If your usage pattern constantly requires more power, you will need to watch after the battery and place the watch in the sun when possible.

Yes, the module is my main concern after the battery itself, because it's very delicate, in my opinion, and I would probably abuse the watch more than I think.
    The modules aren't so delicate at all - those watches are built to withstand serious impact. The failing solar modules are only certain models and I believe that most here believe that it's simply due to a bad design. It doesn't seem to be the result of physical abuse.

Are you sure that I wouldn't have to send the watch all the way back to the US, because I've bought it from there?
    Maybe for the warranty period, but after that every service center should be fine. And I would seriously doubt that -if at all- it will need pampering in the warranty period.

MRG-1000 - There is no other battery with the same size as the CR2025, but with a larger charge? As for the module - it's good that it's a specific model design flaw. Thank you for the response.

I would like a photo of the G-9000 on a wrist, but not this one (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...67/Image10.jpg), because it's the only one I have. If anyone has a photo like this, I would appreciate it, if he could share it with me.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ЯOBÖT; February 13th, 2008 at 23:35.

Hi ЯOBÖT

quote:

"How is the battery doing and what are your usage conditions?"

3 years from the Casio web site specs.; but I have had G-shocks double their life span in the past, even with normal use; I keep my G-9000 with the Mute function on (all alarms work, with no button beeps), and turn off the flash alert mode when not needed; I use the alarm, TR, SW daily with no problems.

Brad
    Brad
    Have a great day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information