G-9100 Gulfman - disappointing?

Thread: G-9100 Gulfman - disappointing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-9100 Gulfman - disappointing?

My Gulfman arrived last week and since then I've been thinking a lot about it, and also the G-1010 that arrived about the same time.

Specifically, is it of the same quality that the original 90s Masters series watches had, and does it have their impact?

I own the original Riseman, Gaussman, Raysman and yellow Mudman. I once came close to getting a Wademan on this forum but really, I had spent enough. Really

As far as I understood it, each of those original "Men" was supposed to showcase a G with different special features - Wademan had a digital compass, Raysman was the first tough solar (I have never owned a better quality Casio), Riseman had twin sensors, Mudman was mud resistant, Fisherman had tide graph, and so on. I thought all these were well designed and laid out.

The thing is, what does Gulfman bring to the table? Frogman and Wademan were definitely titanium, so in theory already rust resistant?

To me, this new Gulfman does not make much of an impact. It's quite small, and the display is too small. The tide graph and moonphase specifically. As a result the moonphase only has 4 segments. Why is there such a big (relatively) second counter dial? I never did understand the point of those.

Feature-wise this Gulfman is good, a 24 hour stopwatch and countdown are always good, as are multi-alarms. But for me the case finish and strap are not great quality, either. The bezel has rough machining lines on it. A double buckle would at least be nice, and I'm sure the buckle isn't titanium, is it?

I paid £45 and thought that would be a total bargain, but for me this is only a watch worth about £50. I suppose at the heart of this, I think a "man" watch - a Masters series watch - should still be a range-topper. I paid just £35 for my G-1010 and though analogue-only is pretty confusing, the watch feels better quality than the Gulfman, and looks better too. I think analogue Gs have really come to the forefront lately.

This Gulfman is clearly a mid-range G-Shock at best. I think it's a pity that Casio have diluted that. I also think it's dubious to offer so many different versions of a "man" watch.

But maybe I am making way too much of it! What do you all think? Especially those of you who were collecting in the 90s?

Cheers

Last edited by pritch; August 17th, 2010 at 21:45.
    55 watches. 30 Casios. Appalling bank balance!

Re: G-9100 Gulfman - disappointing?

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

To me, this new Gulfman does not make much of an impact. It's quite small, and the display is too small. The tide graph and moonphase specifically. As a result the moonphase only has 4 segments. Why is there such a big (relatively) second counter dial? I never did understand the point of those.

The big second dial is one of the main reason I bought the Gulfman, working in the emergency medical system one of the things we do is count pulse and breathing rate per 15-20s. Having the little pie chart makes this a lot easier than seeing a number like 37 seconds an having to add 15 to that, all the while counting someones breaths or pulse. With the little pie chart, I know once it gets back to the same spot it started, thats 10 seconds and half way from that is 15. :)

Now, me, living in Miami and going boating, jet-skiing and beaching in general make the high tide and rust resist feature a big big plus for such a cheap (I paid 60u.s) watch that really isnt offered in any other watch in that range( $300+ Frogman). I'm sure stainless would have sufficed but hey . As you can see these reasons and more are why I chose the Gulfman as my first (of many to come) G-shock and why its not a disappointment to me, atleast. Hope you can find something in it that will make you more satisfied of your purchase

I suppose at the heart of this, I think a "man" watch - a Masters series watch - should still be a range-topper.
    The '...man' and 'Masters' thing is just a marketing angle and has never constituted top of the range. Some feature will have a connection with the focus of the range, but sometimes it's a bit tenuous.

If Casio didn't add a bit of razzmatazz and flummery here and there, their sales would be significantly lower.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This Gulfman is clearly a mid-range G-Shock at best.
    You could be right. Mine gets the least wrist time of my Gs, but I do like the countdown timer on it. Really useful when cooking to have the reminders go off

But yes, it's probably an average module in a titanium case. That's its rationale. I miss the 5th light button in any watch that doesn't have one, so that's another reason why it's not worn a lot.

For the positives, it does have a really deep difference between the bezel height and the glass, so that's one benefit for durability. And the buttons are easy to find and press.

The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

I do like my Gulfman but I have to agree that the moon-phase display is ridiculously sized! They may as well make it even smaller!! I can barely see it and it's inside a hole! The G7900 Rescue is so much better here. I guess the thing I like most about the Gulfman is the turtle at the back and well, at least the tide-graph is visible

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    I miss the 5th light button in any watch that doesn't have one, so that's another reason why it's not worn a lot.
    A cynical man might say the lack of a fifth button is another example of cost-cutting... I do also dislike the fact that I'm used to five now and I keep hitting what i think should be reverse or reset and get the light on instead!
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    If Casio didn't add a bit of razzmatazz and flummery here and there, their sales would be significantly lower.
    Perhaps the issue is what I saw brought up in another thread - has the range become a bit... indistinct? I feel like I can go to my dealer of many years now, pay roughly the same for say, three g-shocks and get a very different feel of functional quality in each, or I could spend three very different sums and get very similar results, if you see what I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboyo View Post
    Hope you can find something in it that will make you more satisfied of your purchase
    No worries there - it's still a G!

No, let's face it I am ultimately nit-picking here. The average joe probably isn't going to give a hoot about any of these things. I also usually say that on the internet, prices soon reflect what things are worth. The G-9100 has a RRP of £85, but is selling almost everywhere for substantially less than that, so I infer that it is selling for closer to what it is worth.

If I had no other G-shocks I would pay £45 for any G-shock, and certainly for this Gulfman, what else can you get for that money that comes close?

And in itself, it's a good watch with a fine feature list. I also like that it is very light on my wrist. It is going to become my work watch. The only thing was that before I bought it I was thinking it would be one of the ones I would try to keep mint
    55 watches. 30 Casios. Appalling bank balance!

To be honest, for the price you pay on the Master range, I think you can get much better G models. Also, considering that many of the features will never be used by many of us (moon tide, graphs all over the dial etc) and the marketing behind those masters -which to me is a sign that something needs to be advertised to be sold, as opposed to the watches being sold for their popularity and good rapport, I really don't see the point in having them. But that's just my opinion.

I have done lots of research in this forum before buying my G's, and I always ended up leaving the Master range to one side, despite the fact that some of them look well impressive!

I have never looked back.
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

i love my gulfman, even though it's not that comfortable to wear. So I wear it loose. It should have a titanium buckle too imho..

For what it is worth, the original Gulfman seriessss from the 90's did seem to have a module with more "nautical" features than the G-9100 Gulfman.

Banned

I really liike my Gulfman. It's my everyday wearer and, as I posted recently, it is great watch for the tropics (although I don't usually live in the tropics).

I don't think it is as nicely made as a Riseman or Frogman, but then it isn't as expensive either. And although the Master of G is just marketing, it is fun marketing, and Gs are fun watches (for me). I particularly like the little caseback characters, and the turtle scrubbing his shell looks cool IMO.

I also really like the overall look of my blue 9100, the colour combination just works for me. I prefer the blue to the black one shown. And the tide graph, while being completely useless to me, looks excellent, especially as the blue bezel colour is picked up in the tint of the window.

I like that much of the printing on the bezel is engraved. That's a nice quality touch. Also, even the printing on the strap, while not engraved, is extremely durable. There are actually several rub marks on my strap that, when I look closely, I can see that they are invisible over the printed section but continue either side of the printing. I don't know what Casio use to coat the printing, but it is so tough and rub resistant they should do a G which is entirely coated with it!

In terms of practicality... it is extremely light and so very comfortable. It's a good size. The strap, which is often criticised, works for me in that the watch can be worn very loose, with just the ribbing gripping my wrist - great for summer. The CDT is a must-have feature for digital watches IMO. And with the chunky bezel and heavily recessed crystal, this watch can really take a beating and still look good as new. The buttons are really nice too - smooth with just the right amount of feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information