G-9200ER Military Colors Riseman Backlight image removal info
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: G-9200ER Military Colors Riseman Backlight image removal info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-9200ER Military Colors Riseman Backlight image removal info

I got the new ER Riseman, and while I think it's a great color combination (might look good on a set of GY gray resin, too, which I plan to try someday) I HATED the hawk image in the backlight. I normally like backlight images, unless they make the time difficult to read, and the hawk was VERY dark and VERY obtrusive. On top of that, it didn't even really look like a hawk. It was moke like a giant "V"

Normally, backlight image removal is not too difficult. Once you take apart the LCD, the image is usually on a clear gel that can simply be removed. In the case of this new Riseman (and possibly Casio is doing all their EL images like this now) the gel is adhered to an integral part of the LCD. There is no way to remove it. In order to get the hawk off, I had to remove the paint with a Q-tip soaked in acetone. This had to be done carefully and gently because the plastic scratches easily. Once the hawk was removed, I reassembled the watch (which is not easy, because the Riseman is very complex compared to most G-shocks.)

Thankfully, it turned out well, but it looks like backlight removal (at least for this model, and possibly all new models) is not as straightforward as it once was. It is now a destructive mod (once you go there, you can't go back) but I am happy with the results. Anyway, sorry I don't have pictures of the progress (I was too involved with trying not to wreck the watch).

Feisar, LUW, G-fob and 3 others like this.

LUW

Re: G-9200ER Military Colors Riseman Backlight image removal info

Fantastic! I would be seriously tempted to do this to my Frog 8250. Any idea if the Frog has the clear gel or is the image painted on?
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Nice. I don't really like the images on the mudman or frog. Hinders the night display. But I can live with it. Barely.

Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I haven't opened the Frogman, but I suspect it would be the same. It is a clear gel with an image painted on just like other G-shocks, but the problem is that the gel is adhered to part of the lcd and won't come apart on its own. I am hesitant to open the Frogman because the caseback would be easy to damage and the anchor doesn't bother me like this hawk/eagle does.

LUW

Thanks for the info!
    Yeah, I always go whenever I think about those screw back cases, and worse of all, I still don't have (yet) a case-back tool.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Wow, that's a brave operation, which I won't dare. Does acetone not damage the gel. Only polyurethane does not disolve in it. It instantly make a mess of other plastics...

Long long time ago I tried to disassemble an LCD display of a DW-9000, which ended up in a wreck. Never got the guts again.

Cheers,

Sjors

Cheers,

Sjors

Sent using Tapatalk!
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

CFF

calculated risk at it's best.
    kung-fusion likes this.

here is my feedback: CFF, Best Seller Ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Wow, that's a brave operation, which I won't dare. Does acetone not damage the gel. Only polyurethane does not disolve in it. It instantly make a mess of other plastics...

Long long time ago I tried to disassemble an LCD display of a DW-9000, which ended up in a wreck. Never got the guts again.

Cheers,

Sjors

Cheers,

Sjors

Sent using Tapatalk!

I had another gel from a different watch that I removed a while back, so I tested first on that one. The acetone did not seem to affect the gel at all, and the paint of the EL image started to come off after about a minute of gentle swabbing with the q-tip. The hardest part of any LCD/module disassembly for me is getting all the little springs back where they need to be.

The only state created during the Civil War.

Being a G newbie it appears that Casio is doing this purposefully to keep consumers from attempting such projects. I thought this new Riseman looked khaki and green.

Kung-Fusion... It is so good to have you back. You my friend were definitely missed. You bring so much knowledge and insight about Gs to the forum, not to mention your wit and sense of humor.
    "O-M-G!! I am rich!... Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeth, Crystals in the kidneys, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries, and an inexhaustable supply of Natural Gas. I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!!"

Gone But Not Forgotten:
    Anonimo | Bali Hai | Ball | Benarus | Boschett | Breitling | Debaufre | Deep Blue | Doxa | DWatch| Enzo Mechana | Glycine | Halios | Helson | Marathon | Kobold | Korsbek | Kremke | MKII | Ocean7 | Omega | Orsa | Oris | Precista | Prometheus | Riedenschild | Steinhart | Seiko | Tissot | Zinex/Zixen

Quote Originally Posted by 4Play View Post
    Being a G newbie it appears that Casio is doing this purposefully to keep consumers from attempting such projects. I thought this new Riseman looked khaki and green.

Kung-Fusion... It is so good to have you back. You my friend were definitely missed. You bring so much knowledge and insight about Gs to the forum, not to mention your wit and sense of humor.
    Thanks. I am not going to be able to be as active as I once was, But I do plan to post from time to time when I have something I want to share, and I will check in occasionally to see what everyone is up to. The main problem with this forum is it makes me see things that I want to buy! And I need to be saving now, not buying more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information