• 5 Post By fwupow
  • 4 Post By fwupow
  • 1 Post By G-fob
  • 1 Post By kung-fusion
  • 1 Post By fwupow
  • 1 Post By fwupow

Thread: G-Lide GL-160-8 from Apr. 2002

G-Lide GL-160-8 from Apr. 2002

Bought this NOS off ebay. It looks better in real life than in the CASIO stock photo, mainly because you can see the thickness but it's typical of 2000s styling with beveled / rounded edges and smaller than most 90s Gs. It has a jelly resin strap that is black in color. You'd think it would have to be gray in order to be translucent but it really is somehow both black & see-thru!

It's got some cool features & functionality.

• Duplex LCD (2 LCD panels stacked on top of eachother) is something you don't see on G-Shocks anymore.
    • Huge Tide Graph
    • Fully customizable 10 Tide site / 10 City World Time
    • Flashing LCD areas for CD Timer warnings & Alarm & Stopwatch Auto-start
    • Large moon-phase indicator. Moon age with Up & Down times

It's straight battery powered and the battery only lasts about 2 years. It does have Auto-EL. It has a strap that's only just long enough to wrap around my 7.5" wrist and the Light Button is too narrow to use easily. The side buttons are fairly big and easy to operate. The strap keeper stays in place very well, but the buckle doesn't sit down against your wrist and that causes the keeper to press into your skin more & create some mild discomfort.

Kind of a neat G for historical preservation and collection purposes but it's not gonna beat out any of the new stuff and it's not as masculine as the 90s Gs or most of the new stuff that's come out in recent years.

Name:  Title Shot sm.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  50.4 KB
    Last edited by fwupow; February 28th, 2014 at 05:52.
    Vade_R, nigelw, Iyonk and 2 others like this.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

Re: G-Lide GL-160-8 from Apr. 2002

More photos?

Name:  Money shot sm.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  58.0 KB
    Name:  Side view.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  192.3 KB
    Name:  CD Timer sm.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  49.3 KB
    Name:  Caseback sm.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  50.3 KB
    Name:  Strap Buckle Logo sm.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  91.3 KB
    nigelw, Iyonk, Rocat and 1 others like this.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

nice G
    fwupow likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've seen these for sale before and always been curious about them. I like the display.
    fwupow likes this.

Thanks :) It's OK. It's a little better than I thought it would be after viewing the stock photo before purchasing.

CASIO G-Shock seemed to adopt a new styling philosophy in the early 2000s. Going to a smaller more sleek design, probably because sales went down when everybody started carrying cell-phones and dispensing with wristwatches. I don't think this helped, at least not in the USA market. Might've made things worse even.

It's fun to discover the interesting little changes and strange things CASIO G-Shock did over the years, even though many of the Gs sold during this time are not that attractive to me.
    nigelw likes this.

Yeah, the display is nice. I've mentioned in the past how much I'd like to see 3 lines of information and none of the screen wasted on frivolous animations.

The one problem with this watch, is that the green characters of the top line aren't quite as visible as the lower 2 black lines and the bezel combined with the label ring around the edge of the crystal create such a strong shadow that I find myself turning in circles trying to get the watch oriented so that the sunlight is shining in at an angle that lights up the top line so that I can read the date. Any of my G-Shocks that don't allow me to quickly and easily read Date & Time at a glance end up on a shelf to stay, so unfortunately despite having a number of unique, useful and commendable features, this GL-160 is ultimately a failure. I can't classify it differently, because if fails to fulfill it's purpose - the reason it's on my wrist in the 1st place - to tell me the date & time.
    nigelw likes this.

Great purchase... i like it! thats quite a unique G... thanks for sharing fw.

Thread Information