G-Lide range
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: G-Lide range

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-Lide range

Sorry if this has been asked a gazillion times but

a) is it pronounced "Glide" or "Gee - Lide"

b) what is the point of the range? I see a lot of talk about the models being rehoused existing modules like that from the 7900? What distinguishes them from the rest of the G brethren?
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Re: G-Lide range

I think it's "Gee-lide". The line is aimed at surfers and for other watersports. Some have also been marketed for wintersports. Not all use modules that have been used before (Casio uses the same modules for many different models anyway) - the GWX-5600 for example had a newly designed module (which btw is also used in the new GWX-8900).

Cheers, Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by andrew&7 View Post
    b) what is the point of the range? I see a lot of talk about the models being rehoused existing modules like that from the 7900? What distinguishes them from the rest of the G brethren?
    I might be mistaken and someone else could correct if needed but the G-Lide models are characterized for having not only both a tide graph and moon phase but also a glossy finish?

It's more a question than a statement but I think those are the defining features of this sub-line.

The G-7900 and GW-7900 come to mind as also having a tide graph and moon phase but none of them are glossy no?
    G-Shock GW5600J-1 | GW-M5610-1 | GWX5600B-7 | DW-5030C-1 Resist Black | GW9200-1 Riseman | G9000-1 Mudman | G6900KG-3 | GA100-1A1 | GA100A-7A | Tissot PRC 200 T17.1.526.52 | Citizen Eco-Drive Nighthawk BJ7000-52E + Stowa Old Style strap | Seiko SNK809 + Crown & Buckle leather NATO | Seagull 1963 | Tokyoflash Shinshoku

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah fair enough. Saw one in the flesh today and can confirm said glossy finish.

Cheers both

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

GLX-6900A-2JF does not have glossy finish (matte blue), but does belong to G-lide line

So much for my theory :-)
    G-Shock GW5600J-1 | GW-M5610-1 | GWX5600B-7 | DW-5030C-1 Resist Black | GW9200-1 Riseman | G9000-1 Mudman | G6900KG-3 | GA100-1A1 | GA100A-7A | Tissot PRC 200 T17.1.526.52 | Citizen Eco-Drive Nighthawk BJ7000-52E + Stowa Old Style strap | Seiko SNK809 + Crown & Buckle leather NATO | Seagull 1963 | Tokyoflash Shinshoku

The G-Lide line has been around since the '90s. It is targeted more torwards surfers in the US and other "extreme" sports across the globe. I don't know if this has changed or not, bit in the '90s, the US and possibly European models were labeled G-Lide, while in Japan the same watch was the "Xtreme." Kind of how many JDM 6900s were labeled "Fox Fire," while export models had "Illuminator" on them. As far as the "glossy" theory, many of the older model G-Lide's do not have a gloss finish. But they usually have either a tide graph or a "surf timer."

Sent from the office of the reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas.
    xevious likes this.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

The G-Lide series is maybe the oldest G-Shock series around, long before Tidegraphs, Moonphases and glossy finishes. I think it is pronounced as Gee-Lide, analog to Gee-Shock, but Glide would be good probably too.

As Tsip already wrote, in Japan these models were first released as X-Treme models (models for extreme sports). As the extreme sports were meant sports like Skateboarding, surfing and snowboarding, Japan later adapted the overseas (Europe and US) name of this series.

Cheers,

Sjors
    Last edited by Sjors; May 27th, 2012 at 11:28.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Whoa Sjors!! Thanks very much for the detail and photos!

They've some good looking models in the range and for sure eventually one or two will end up in my collection.

CFF

can't say much more then Sjors did. since i got all my know ledges from his 50Gs intro lol.

but here is some pic i took today...

xevious likes this.

here is my feedback: CFF, Best Seller Ever!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information