G-Newbie with some questions

Thread: G-Newbie with some questions

Confused G-Newbie with some questions

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine loves watches and through some clever marketing tactics (showing me pics of NASA astronauts wearing g-shocks) he has successfully turned me into a sort of madman recently concerning g-shocks and one in particular that I have my eyes on:

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...t/GW5600BCJ-1/

Pretty sweet, eh??

Before I go and spend $150 though I have some questions hopefully you guys can answer.

1. How readible is the inverse display? I can't find any at the Casio displays at Target or Sears or WatchHut. Can you still read it in bright sunlight?
    Also, how does it appear with the indiglow going in the background?

2. What's the difference between Composite vs. Resin bands? I assume Composite is better but what is it made of and is it actually an all around better material?

Thanks!

Re: G-Newbie with some questions

Quote Originally Posted by CriX View Post
    Hi everyone,

A friend of mine loves watches and through some clever marketing tactics (showing me pics of NASA astronauts wearing g-shocks) he has successfully turned me into a sort of madman recently concerning g-shocks and one in particular that I have my eyes on:

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...t/GW5600BCJ-1/

Pretty sweet, eh??

Before I go and spend $150 though I have some questions hopefully you guys can answer.

1. How readible is the inverse display? I can't find any at the Casio displays at Target or Sears or WatchHut. Can you still read it in bright sunlight?
    Also, how does it appear with the indiglow going in the background?

2. What's the difference between Composite vs. Resin bands? I assume Composite is better but what is it made of and is it actually an all around better material?

Thanks!
    Hi Crix, and welcome!
    That model is very nice , i like the old 5600 style and I think that many people here in the forum share the same idea. The inverse display is just readable as the normal display. Only, you have to get used to it a bit. I have a G-8000 with this kind of display and I've never had problems at reading it. I also think that it gives the watch a futuristic/military look. As for the band, I think that a composite strap is made part of resin and part of cloth. I've never had good experiences with clothes band, cause they always have lasted me less than resin bands, but I've never tried them on a G (I used to have a Timex some years ago, the band was made of cloth and after a couple of months of wearing it looked like i weared it for many years ) Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    JK

Excellant watch(es) - Personally, I don't care for resin or composite bands - bad experiences, especially with the Resin - always breaking on me.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk View Post
    Hi Crix, and welcome!
    That model is very nice , i like the old 5600 style and I think that many people here in the forum share the same idea. The inverse display is just readable as the normal display. Only, you have to get used to it a bit. I have a G-8000 with this kind of display and I've never had problems at reading it. I also think that it gives the watch a futuristic/military look. As for the band, I think that a composite strap is made part of resin and part of cloth. I've never had good experiences with clothes band, cause they always have lasted me less than resin bands, but I've never tried them on a G (I used to have a Timex some years ago, the band was made of cloth and after a couple of months of wearing it looked like i weared it for many years ) Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    JK
    I started out with nothing, and still have most of it left ! :-D

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I personally have a DW-5600B with the reverse display. Honestly, it looks cool because its got that military style look. But as far as function, its sorta hard to read at night because its mostly black. I would get the GW-5600J because its more functional for everyday use. As far as the electro luminescence is concerned, its not as bright as the watches with the regular display. Hope that helps. And yea, if you want a GW-5600J, go to JC Penny. Only place that sells it. Price is 100.00 or less when its on sale.
    Last edited by steve403; November 6th, 2006 at 06:00.

I got a DW-5600CF-8JF with the reverse display, and to be honest it did take a little getting uses too. I mean every watch I have woren up til now has had a normal display so I think my eyes were uses to looking at black numbers on white background. After awhile I found it made no difference. My only concern is when it twilight/evening as the numbers can get a bit hard to read and depending on which angles as well. I guess it all really depend on what you a going to uses the watch for. As an everyday watch where you may need to times things to the seconds I would go for the normal display. But if your intention is to wear it on the weekend only of as a second watch, I would go with the reverse display. There has been times when I spotted people taking a second glances or even coming up and asked about my G-5600CF-8JF reverse display.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys!

Well I assumed some of the things you guys have said concerning the readability of the reverse display but I also loved hearing it being desribed as military and futuristic. I plan on using it as my main watch so I'll just get used to it.

I actually ordered it online at mycasio.com for $150 the other night, which I guess was unecessarily high but it's being shipped in from straight from Japan which makes me very .

That's interesting about the resin and composite bands breaking on you. I asked the one of the Casio reps today on the phone what composite was and I was told "It's made of several different types of plastic" which didn't really help much except that I at least learned it's not a combination of plastic and cloth.

I'm hoping the autoEL will make it easy to read at twilight. That's one thing about this model that I kinda hesitated about... the fact that it doesn't have a large illumination button on the front like most of the other g's.

Anyway, should have it in 2-4 weeks I'm betting. I'll try to take some pics when I get it.

I was pretty psyched to find this link last night and thought I'd share in case anyone is curious. It shows some pretty good pics of the watch I ordered, the GW5600BCJ, most notably a very good look at the composite band. It's very different from resin or cloth!

http://watch-tanaka5.sub.jp/casio/GW-5600BCJ-1JF/

I'm liking that a lot. Throw in Multiband5, and I'll take one!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I'm liking that a lot. Throw in Multiband5, and I'll take one!
    Take one for me while you're there...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Thread Information