G-s getting some serious competition...

Thread: G-s getting some serious competition...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

G-s getting some serious competition...

It's a dangerous thing for watch collector to do window shopping.

Well I did a bit of a window shopping today and my my... picked up a beauty for 50 US...

http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=753048137466

Now my friends... I owned quite a few Gs and with this model it's clear, for us in US at least that "home team" is paying attention...

If this one is any indication whatsoever to what a Timex can don than Casio has just
    got some serious competition.

- Reverse display
    - long lasting battery
    - ability to "hide" features that you don't want... I have mine setup for just two modes
    that I'm using: countdown timer and time...
    - dual time
    - confortable soft rasing band (G8000 style)
    - and yes, gentlment it's a GSHOCK Timex stile or "Shock resistant to I.S.O. standards"
    whatever that mean...
    - 5 year battery life (with Timex, same as Casio, if you don't use background and alarm too often this will last 10 years easy)

What can I say... I picked it up and this has "G" written all ower it... it looks like a copy of GW500 except that colours are "cool" (finally we get some cool colours, who says we have to ship from Japan or Europe to enjoy this)... and yes for 50 US you'll even get reverse display... band is more comfortable than GW500 size is about the same
    (possibly a milimeter or two thinner)... and same as GW500 it's 200 M water resistant...

The only difference? It's about 2-3 times cheaper than GW500

The only thing to complain about is that top portion looks like it's "cramped" with
    day and date... other than that LOVE IT... droll factor 10!

Seriously for 50 US what's not to like?

Here are some more models that I did not notice in chain store:

http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=753048137473
    http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=753048137442

I'm telling you Timex is DEFENETLY challanging Casio here. And with this model they did a FINE job of surpasing Casio.

Missing items? Solar power and waveceptor. Once those are in place it will be interestig to see how Casio will respond especally if Timex keeps beating tham in price so badly.

buddha-g

Re: G-s getting some serious competition...

Well, for me they still have a ways to go before I would even consider one. While G's may be inexpensive, Timex has always seemed "cheap" to me. I had several growing up which is why discovering the G's was so exciting to me. G's have never disappointed. However, based on the last information I read (which may not be correct) a Timex Ironman is one of the four watches approved for flight by NASA. Two being Omegas and, of course, Casio G-Shock. But, as a watch lover, I might look them over with further improvements. I did notice they now have an Atomic version, too, called "Auto Set".

For those in the US with a Costco close by, the GW500 can be had for $59.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, was gonna say the same thing

$59 for a GW-500A at Costco [there's one a block away from my house].

At JC Penny, I believe it was sold for ~$90 . . . although the ones I saw there were made in Japan, and the colors were slightly different [all the red is replaced by white, or a VERY light blue, can't tell].

buddha-g

Are we even comparing Apples-to-apples here????? I mean the CASIO - GW500A-1V has all the following features. I'd expect it to be more than a $50 Timex.

* Tough Solar Power
    * Atomic Timekeeping
    * Color: Black
    * Band Type: Resin
    * Shock Resistant
    * 200 meter water resistant
    * World time
    * 29 time zones (30 cities)
    * Daylight saving on/off
    * Auto electro-luminescent backlight with afterglow
    * 1/100-second stopwatch
    * Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99"
    * Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time,
    * 1st-2nd place times
    * 4 daily alarms & 1 snooze alarm
    * Hourly time signal
    * Auto-calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
    * 12/24-hour format
    * Accuracy:±15 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
    * Back-up battery: CTL1616

for us, the runners / joggers, Casio G-Shock is no competition to Timex Ironman (yes, you heard me right )

Timex simply have a better package for runners as a time / lap keeping device

i still think Casio got better construction, better material and button "feel"

to me, i will always have a timex ironman in my collection simply because i need one for running (until the day Casio is willing to make a G-Shock for runners)

i am keeping my eye open for that new timex ironman shock resistant 30-lap, it looks like a nice rough / trail runner's watch

buddha-g

Good point. The Iron Man is geared to runners and the G isn't.

3 costos here in Canada and none have G-s 500... chain stores are selling tham for 150 US give or take (with 30% conversion ratios)

But here is my point... while it's ironman it's DEFENETLY not ironman... it's G... it's hard to see from Timex picture at the web site (will try to post some comparasion pics tomorrow time permitting) this id DEFENETLY not your dad's TIMEX. That's my whole point... you have to see it live to understand what I mean...

This is SAME product as GW500 take away Solar and WaveCeptor (that does not work in my part of Ontario anyways) and you have this.

Buda, look at the specs, most of the features you mention this particular Timex has as well. As far as I'm concerend this is not targeted towards runners since (just like G) it seem to be buld like a tak, hence it is too bulky for runners.

Would love to drop it from 25th floor just to confirm if I'm right or not... but if my suspicion is correct it's defenetly copy of G...

Anyhow, the only dissapointing thing I discovered so far is that you can not see time in stopwatch or countdown timer mode. (Mine is set to 24 hour mode, has 3 time zones, 3 alarms... more features that 90% of us need... it even has "flix" function: ability to turn on the "indiglo" with the flip of a wrist)

Again, the only missing features? WaveCeptor and SolarPower. Granted these are the most important ones for most of us.

By the way, just compared the size: it's the same as GW500. Figured it's thinner but it's not...

Anyhow, this stays in my collection, it's a fine adition to my Gs. Will give it some wrist time and report back especally on accuracy. Timex for whatever reason does not state accuracy in their manual. Casio manuals are lot more tehnical than Timex ones.

Blah. I have seen this model, held this model, worn this model and examined it closely. It simply does not measure up to a G-Shock. But it's a Timex. I wouldn't expect it to measure up.

Sure, they're a great value for the money. But again... it's a Timex; this is to be expected.

It feels cheap, the button push is squishy, the "FLIX" system is cheesy... I just was completely unimpressed.

WallaceD

i agree that timex is stepping up on the style and design, which is a good thing. i would love to see timex improve upon the build quality and construction as well.

some torture test on the ironman to see how's the "shock resistant" and "ISO standard" espect stack up to the G would be interesting

i certainly won't expect to see a heavy hulky watch on a world class marathoner, but for an average joe / marathoner like me, certainly!

with a proper lap counter, long hrs chronograph, different countdown timer mode (which is good for interval training), big numbers on the simple to read LCD, the timex can be my running watch any day (which none of the G can match)

i would actually put atomic solar very low on my list cause i can live with +/-15 sec/month and set my watches twice every year for DST. and i can afford to have the battery changed every couple years (especially after factoring in the price difference of a tough solar watch vs a battery operated watch). don't get me wrong, i certainly have and will buy atomic solar G cause i think these are great feature, but i put proper timing feature as more important on my list.

my point is just like Casio G-Shock can't even touch timex in terms of runner friendliness.

i also agree that timex can't touch Casio G-Shock on build quality and construction (not even with a 10-foot pole, haha)

and when i am going out, i grab [one of] my G[s] every time

i am definitely interested in seeing some more photo comparison and review regarding the timex ironman

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information