G-Shock for 8-year old nephew
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Tsip85

Thread: G-Shock for 8-year old nephew

G-Shock for 8-year old nephew

Guys, please help me out. I am trying to choose a G-Shock for my 8-year-old nephew. He lives in another country, so I need to get it right.

I've narrowed my choice down to the following models:

G2310R-1
    GWM850-1
    G7700-1
    G7710-1
    GW800-1V

Out of these models, I've only seen the first one in the store. I saw the others online. Could you please help me based on size, length of the band....etc...what would be the optimal choice? I know that some of you have extensive G-Shock collections, so I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Here's a wrist shot from this morning of my 8 yr old son wearing his G9000 Mudman...

Sent from the office of the reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Re: G-Shock for 8-year old nephew

Tsip, thank you so much for your reply. It looks really good on your son. What is the specific model of this Mudman? Are there any letters in the model number? How does this watch compare to G2310R-1? Is Mudman better? From specifications, it looks like Mudman is slightly thicker...Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice one!

I passed down my Mudman GW9010 to my son last year. He's 9 now. I 2nd the vote for the mudman. 8 year old boys get into some crazy dirt playing and rough housing. The Mudman will repel debris nicely. Comes in all sorts of different color variations too. Also, if you order the PAW1300 strap adapters, you can grind down those adapters a little so they will fit the watch head. Then you can put a Zulu strap on it. Zulus will fit smaller wrists better than the stock resin strap.

Here's a shot of my son last Halloween with his mudman on.

Last edited by ZASKAR36; May 25th, 2012 at 04:17.

No prob...good coincidence that you posted this thread the same day I took a pic of G man's Muddy for the WRUW thread! There's no real model number for his as it's slightly modded. I put black resin from a GW9010 and put it on a G9000-8. I took the original tan resin and made a wild "Fall Camo" Mudman with it and put it on the GW9010.

I think the Mudman is about the same thickness as a 23xx but it has one of the best modules offered in a G Shock. Also, the buttons are stiff so it prevents him from playing with it in school. The best feature on this watch for him, and me as a parent, is the repeating CDT. I set it for one hour and let him go play. Every time the alarm sounds, he comes home to check in. The Mudman wears small, which is why I gave it to him. My other son also wore one for a while when he was 5, but I passed that one on to somebody else. When my younger son, now 6, is ready to wear a G "full time," I have a G9000BP waiting for him. I think its the perfect watch for little boys!

Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Tsip, you made modifications to your son's watch. Zaskar is also recommending strap modifications. I know that I will not be able to mod the watch and am planning to give it to my nephew in its original condition.

1) Will Mudman be a good choice for an 8-year-old without any modifications (comfortable strap; not super long; reasonable face size)? I apologize if I am hammering on the same issue. I just want to be confident that I've made the right choice.

2) Then, if I go for Mudman, will G9000-1V be a good choice? Would you recommend something different?

3) Also, I saw someone on the board bought DW-9052 for their son. By specifications, it is even smaller than both Mudman and G2310R. I know that Mudman fans will probably not even consider DW-9052, but if anyone can give an opinion, it would be great.

4) Finally, by saying that Mudman has a good module, what do you mean? The time is more precise?

Thank you again, guys!

Hi and welcome,
    the (old) Mudman (there's also the newer bigger G(W)-9300) has a good module because of the features (note that there are different versions however: G-9000, GW-9000 and GW-9010 - the G-9000 and GW-9010 are very good - the GW-9000 is rather basic but not bad either) - the precision is the same as on any other G-Shock. It has rather stiff buttons however. I think the G-7710 is even better for smaller wrists and has some of the best buttons on any G-Shock. The straps are all about the same length.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

User, no mods are necessary. The 9000 is great in it's "stock" form. My 8 yr old actually had my old 9000-3V for a while. It was pretty best up with scratches on the crystal when i gave it to him. When i saw that he could take care of it and not lose it, I gave him a "nicer" one. The -3V is good, but the negative display on that model is a little difficult go read. However, I'm sure an 8 yr old would find it cool and not have a problem with it. If any mod at all would be needed, maybe just trimming a little off the end of the strap.

As Sedi mentioned, the 7710 is also a great G. It is about the same size as the 9000 series Mudman, but it is much slimmer and sits lower on the wrist. Because of it's functions, the 7710 has, what I feel, the best module in the current G Shock line. One difference, and why I feel the Mudman is a better choice for my son, is that the crystal is a little further recessed in the bezel than the 7710. It offers a little more protection to the glass.

Hook 'Em!!

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    Also, the buttons are stiff so it prevents him from playing with it in school.
    Haven't thought of it that way, but that's a definite plus! I was thinking about a 5600 for when my boy gets a bit bigger, but I think a 9000 would be better, or even maybe my own 9010, that I use very little because of the buttons.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Thank you very much, guys!

Thread Information