G-Shock and the Airport

Thread: G-Shock and the Airport

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-Shock and the Airport

Do you guys take off your watch when going through security? I have left a couple of my G's on before by accident and never had the detctor go off. The bands were always resin of course. Anybody ever have a problem? Just curious.

Re: G-Shock and the Airport

I take it off but I am always VERY careful to watch the tub as it passes through the machine, lest it get swiped by a TSA agent or someone else in line. If I was bringing one of my favorite watches on the trip, I would probably not wear it through security for this reason. Better to just put it in your carry-on for a few minutes.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

I have had no issues with either a G, or other watch, going through security and I travel quite frequently. I always just wear it on my wrist.

I have only been asked to remove my watch once, at Frankfurt Airport, by the security there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No problem here either. TSA just lets me walk with it on. I have never had to take it off.
    Mechagodzilla find me a G-Shock in Tokyo!!

In Europe (Ireland, France, UK & Sweden anyway) I am always specifically asked to remove my watch.

i wore this last x-mas thru, during U.S. interstate travel, and even with the protector nothing happened. i hope the same is true when i fly next week...
    Last edited by cascadien; July 19th, 2010 at 12:06.
    "Far out, in the uncharted backwaters at the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of a galaxy, lies a small unregarded yellow sun. orbiting this at a distance of roughly 92 million miles
    is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."
    The Hitchhikers Guide

US Airports don't like Casios, specifically F-91s:

"United States intelligence officials have identified the F91W as a watch that terrorists use when constructing time bombs.[1][2][3][4] This association was highlighted in the Denbeaux study, and may have been used in some cases at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp.[5] An article published in the Washington Post in 1996 reported that Abdul Hakim Murad, Wali Khan Amin Shah, and Ramzi Ahmed Yousef had developed techniques to use commonly available Casio digital watches to detonate time bombs.[6]"

-Wikipedia
    -=JohnnyBlazE=-

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlazE View Post

"United States intelligence officials have identified the F91W as a watch that terrorists use when constructing time bombs.[1][2][3][4] This association was highlighted in the Denbeaux study, and may have been used in some cases at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp.[5] An article published in the Washington Post in 1996 reported that Abdul Hakim Murad, Wali Khan Amin Shah, and Ramzi Ahmed Yousef had developed techniques to use commonly available Casio digital watches to detonate time bombs.[6]"

-Wikipedia

To hell with terrorism that has made traveling by plane a hell for us normal / peaceful people

And yes, I almost always told to take my watch off (and even shoes and jacket) of security people.

Banned

I also travel frequently in Europe and in the US. The European metal detectors seem to be set to a more sensitive level. Stuff like a belt buckle or watch (even under 100g) will beep in Europe but not in the US. A normal G-shock will most likely not beep. Less than 50g metal rarely beeps. Keep in mind that most Gs are plastic cased with only parts of the movement, clasp and battery in metal. So perhaps 20g of metal in a watch. No beep.

A German security official told me a trick to go through with your watch on: Walk the watch through first! Meaning extend your arm and send that through the detector first while moving through swiftly. Both points being equally important, extended arm and swiftly. Works quite well. I've managed in the US to get a 140g Oris TT1 through. But in Germany I've failed to get that same watch through with the same technique.

Metal detectors have a lower, medium and upper tier detector zone. The watch and belt buckle will sit together in the center zone. This will trigger more alarms. More alarms mean more work. That's why they tell you to take the belts and watches off. But it also means that the belt and watch metal might detract from something else in that area that is the most sensitive area for hiding guns and knives or explosives. If there is no belt and no watch and it still beeps, you know something must be wrong.

Jacket must go off as it is too easy to conceal stuff under it. Very normal. The best procedure is to pack your watches in a locked inside jacket pocket and only put them back on after you go through security. I would really not be worried for a TSA guy to swipe a $50 watch. A Rolex would be different, though. And there have been reports of stolen watches.

Till

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlazE View Post

-Wikipedia
    the F91W was chosen because it has both metal levers for alarm instead of removable spring, so on them easily wires can be welded without the fear to me accidentally removed and fail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information