G-Shock Alti/Baro dilemma
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: G-Shock Alti/Baro dilemma

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-Shock Alti/Baro dilemma

Well, my latest and first G-shock is barley one months old and I am hooked... A bitten G-Shock newbie.

Anyway, I am now on a hunt for a G-Shock with Altimeter and Barometer, those are the key components. Why G-Shock? Well I have looked at some Suuntos but they don't seem as sturdy as the G-Shocks, I like the watch to be able to take a beating. The watch will be used for Alpine adventures, cross-countrey skiing, hiking/fishing and my travels, therefor the Alti/Baro components.
    A natural choice seems to be the Casio G-9200 Riseman, a durable watch that has everything. The problem is that I live in northern Scandinavia, aka Sub-Arctic environment. This is great for adventures in the wild but this come with a cost, during the winter it is almost completely dark, there is only a few hours of daylight during November, December, January and February. The good thing is the 24/7 sunlight during the summer.

So the problem I can see is that the G-9200 is the lack of daylight during the winter. As the climate is quite cold the option to wear the watch visible during those hours are not realistic as temperature can drop to -40° Celsius. A solution would be to charge the watch under a lamp or spotlight when not in use, how do you think that would work? I am not sure how long the battery would hold after a full charge, Casio say about 9 months but from what I understand that number is with power-saving (?). If it would hold for a couple of weeks without constant charging and normal use it would be fine.
    The perc with the solar-power is that I would not have to worry about the battery going flat while backpacking or during any other activity when daylight is not a problem.

The other choice is the Casio G-Shock GDF-100-1AER, this watch uses an ordinary battery solution and Alti/Baro components, but how does the GDF-100 stack up to the Riseman? Both in durability and the Alti/Baro functions?

I hope you could follow my post, sorry if the English is bad.

Thanks!
    //SnowEater

Re: G-Shock Alti/Baro dilemma

Why not a Pro-Trek/Pathfinder? A Suunto would be a good choice, if you can bring extra batteries.

I have read on this forum and the Digital/ABC Watches forum that G-Shocks and Pro-Trek/Pathfinders are far inferior to Suunto, etc. when it comes to accurate altimeter/barometer. Not my opinion just what I have read.

For that reason I went with the Garmin fenix as I like the features of that watch and Garmin has served me well on many GPS handhelds over the years.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Still quite fond of my Suunto X-Lander with the aluminum case - it's bomb-proof - and aluminum is interesting for another reason as a case-material - aluminum oxide is basically the same as sapphire - so the case is very scratch resistant - I doubt that a Riseman is any tougher. Also the buttons have screwed-in tubes and the battery lasts quite a while - should be good for two years and a battery change takes only a minute. And you can attach standard straps to it:

The watch is huge however. And the alarms are barely audible. The alti-baro features however easily put any Casio to shame.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

I just received my Riseman through the mail from Amazon and despite not being exposed to any light what-so-ever (for many months since it left the factory, I presume) I was very surprised to find that my watch came fully charged with the battery indicator on high. I wouldn't underestimate the Riseman's battery life and remember that the battery will still charge (slower) whenever its exposed to indoor lighting. To me the Riseman is a near perfect watch with a good (not too big) size, nice ergonomics (fits on wrist well), durable design, and of course great features. The GDF100 is a great value (~$40 USD cheaper than the Riseman) but it lacks a memory feature as well as atomic / solar features of the Riseman not to mention that, at least in my eyes, the Riseman has a nicer look.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by gosupanda View Post
    I just received my Riseman through the mail from Amazon and despite not being exposed to any light what-so-ever (for many months since it left the factory, I presume) I was very surprised to find that my watch came fully charged with the battery indicator on high. I wouldn't underestimate the Riseman's battery life and remember that the battery will still charge (slower) whenever its exposed to indoor lighting. To me the Riseman is a near perfect watch with a good (not too big) size, nice ergonomics (fits on wrist well), durable design, and of course great features. The GDF100 is a great value (~$40 USD cheaper than the Riseman) but it lacks a memory feature as well as atomic / solar features of the Riseman not to mention that, at least in my eyes, the Riseman has a nicer look.

Congrats on your new G

Your watch is either recently made or the seller is kind enough to charge the watches from time to time to maintain the batteries.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I have both, a GDF-100 (Bright Red) and a Riseman (Garish Black) and I like them both for different reasons. The GDF is slightly larger than the Riseman but for me, that is not an issue since I enjoy a larger watch. I too have noticed that the battery in the Riseman seems to last quite awhile (I have not seen my battery dip below high and all my G's are stored in an area that gets zero light). If you are really concerned about battery life, you can turn the power save on in the Riseman and it will turn off the display when you are not wearing it to conserve battery life. I always have power save on for my watches that have the feature since I rotate what I am wearing almost daily.

Last edited by jun0; November 21st, 2012 at 06:41.
    CFI_Dave likes this.
    My Collection
    Citizen: Skyhawk Blue Angels Edition
    Nixon: 51-30 Chrono
    G-Shock: DW-6900 x3, DW-6930 (Basel) x1,G-001 x1, GA-100 x2, GA-110 x16 (2 Collabs: Maharishi & Eric Haze), GD-350 x2, GDF-100 x1, GD-X6900 x2, GR-7900 x1, GW-5510 x1, GX56 x2, Riseman G-9200 x2, Mudman G-9300 x2, G-9330 (Rising Red) x1, GW-9330 (Initial Blue) x1, Frogman GF-1000 x1, Gravity Defier GW-A1000 x2, GW-A1100 x1

Thank you for tips and pics! I will look into the Suunto some more, especially the X-Lander.
    I am still very interested in the Riseman, but then again, if the Suuntos baro/alti is so much better then the Casio, there might be worth a compromise on the durability, at least on the Core model (?).

But I have to say, the Riseman looks amazing.

I have owned the Casio PAW 1500 and the PAW 1300 as well as Suunto's Vector and Core. Go with the Suunto. They are much more accurate.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

There are other brands that have fantastic dual or triple sensor watches which I would honestly choose over Casio, but if you insist on a G-shock, I don't think the solar-powered ones are necessary since you will have to charge the watch often and you can't do that where you are. If you wear your watch next to your wrist, it will be kept warm but even if you strap it to the outside of your down jacket, a G-shock will survive.
    Casio G-shock G-9000 Mudman | Casio G-shock DW-8600 Fisherman
    Casio G-shock DW-9100 Riseman | Casio G-shock DW-6100
    Casio CMD-40B-1T remote control | Casio JP-200W
    Timex Expedition metal combo | T45201 Polar RS300X SD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information