The G-Shock Brand

Thread: The G-Shock Brand

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

No text

No text
    Last edited by b_andersen; September 30th, 2006 at 19:39.

Wink Re: The G-Shock Brand

Hi Brian,

I was much impressed by your last post about the size of G-Shock, whih made quiet a lot of sense to me about the newer models. For me it looks that Casio is developing new models for the "third group", where I believe also belong to, but though with a little smaller sizes to compromize their most importand and home market. I actually got this reply from mr. Yachtrays-San on his Japanese forum:

Mr. Sjors Hello.

Thank you for writing.

The new model MUDMAN was purchased.

I think that it is high-tech and smart.
    (As for me, GW-9000 are liking)

It seems that it can purchase ordinarily in Japan.
    (At the range checked in the store of the Internet etc., it is --)

Translation software was used.
    Well, indeed the size is decreased, but the looks are sphisticated and look stylish and moderm. I have a moderate wrist size (7") and the new Mudman fits me perfect. Yes, I like the big versions, like the DW-8300, the GL-100V, the Frogman and other big Master of G models. Actually these models are in my opinion not big by demensions, but the design also plays a part in it's appearence. A frogman isn't much bigger than a DW-6900, the smaller looking DW-2300 is in fact as big as the DW-6900!

I'm indeed like the American consumers, I willing to pay for a good brand product if I was satisfied by that product before. Sometimes I have to pay the toll. After wearing several Cat shoes in the past, I had a couple of not good walking pairs later I now swear on Asics sport shoes).

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: The G-Shock Brand

Hi B! Interesting observations. I'm a big fan of the older G's simly because they are what I grew up on. I love the style and design of those older models. The 5600 and the 5000 series are one of the all time classics in watch design (IMHO). I know a lot of people may disagree. I also love the new G models and do not consider the new Mudman to be cheap. I'm looking forward to the future of G-Shocks and what functions and styles will be coming out. I will always love and collect the old, but as new ones come out I'm sure I will collect those as well. Like you say in 10-20 years from now people will be looking and paying a premium price for the old but new now Mudman.

Cheers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: The G-Shock Brand

Hi Motorhead,

Remember the red Jelly Frogman GW-203? It looks nobody wanted it back in 2003. I believe I paid $200 for both of mine shipped. I have several more of those (remember Tribe's G-2300 recently).

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Yeah! I remember those. It's amazing to me how fast G's increase in value. If I could only go back in time

Personally I thing that G-Shock has went "Swatch" route. There really isn't any effort whatsoever to put anything horably new inside so the company must be concetrated on putting new designs out.

As far as the size is concerned they simply must work on thickness of Gs. To me and to some others most Gs are simply too thick.

Also, deisgn wise I can't help but notice that Casio has decided for whatever reason, to move away from simplicity and to siply staff the face with different funky looking "eyes" and features where it's not really clear what they do.

For casio to move forward as inovator they need a simple G no more than 11 mm thick and design wise they have to go back to basic hitting market that really only cares about reliable timepiece with nice design.

The way they sit right now, it's just a status quo, no real moving forward for quite some time.

I would say that the G-Shock line continues to innovate. With introductions of technologies like Atomic timekeeping and tough solar while maintaining it's 20bar water resistance and shock resistance indicates a definite advance.

If you want to look at a line of famous digital watches that have not really advanced much then take a look at the Timex Ironman line.
    It's always sunny in Boise!!

Quote Originally Posted by tseely
    I would say that the G-Shock line continues to innovate. With introductions of technologies like Atomic timekeeping and tough solar while maintaining it's 20bar water resistance and shock resistance indicates a definite advance.

If you want to look at a line of famous digital watches that have not really advanced much then take a look at the Timex Ironman line.
    I agree!

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

I am not much of a "brand fetishist" (exept with pioneer dvd-players). my motto is to go with the time. I usually buy what I like and what I think my taste and wallet fits best. I bought my first G-Shock in april 2005, before that, I only weared mechanicals like Sinn, Tag Heuer and Omega watches and didn't even bother about quarzt watches, not to mention digital ones. Well, one day last year, I lost my passion for mechanicals and right now I couldn't be happier with my descent G-Shock collection especially with my G-2300B-1V what I consider "the perfect digital watch".

I don't care if something was made twenty or ten years ago or nowadays. I have to like it, thats all what matters to me. as far as I can judge it, the current G-line presents exceptional timepieces and value, as I'm sure the 20 years old G's also did.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

I prefer the Casios, not just the G's, of 10 years ago to the current line-up, but not by a large amount. I think Casio have just lost their way a bit, it's not surprising as watch sales form a smaller percentage of their revenues than they did 10 years ago.

10 years ago it seemed like anything was possible, but ultimately I guess there is only so much you can do with a watch. I do gripe about little things like the fact I don't like the new italicised displays, but I guess with something like a watch it is all in the detail, otherwise we'd just all buy f-91w's...

I don't see how a comment about the new mudman can really affect "brand loyalty" to the old G-Shocks. To the newbie the perceived poor quality might transcend the brand history, but to the people who actually still care about the old models, well they know what they want, so it's irrelevent.

I don't think I've seen anyone being unreasonable in their appraisal of the new model and I think you've just got to accept some people perceive a difference in quality. Ultimately it's what you think that matters, you're the one who has to wear the watch, so if it pleases you, it doesn't matter. But if a long-time collector tells me something, I would be inclined to at least respect that opinion and factor it in before making my own mind up.

I believe that if a product is as good as it's always been, in the long run brand loyalty will take care of itself!
    Last edited by pritch; July 23rd, 2006 at 02:54.
    55 watches. 30 Casios. Appalling bank balance!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information