G Shock Collaborations...

Thread: G Shock Collaborations...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G Shock Collaborations...

Hey all,

Just been perusing the mygshock.com site and I've seen that there are some pretty cool collaborations around both past and present with some interesting designs/features for different G-Shock models. It got me thinking who would I really like to see doing a collaboration with G-Shock? They seem to have tapped into all kinds of areas...music/designers/artists/organisations/brands...etc etc so I guess theres all kinds of possibilities...I'd really like to see a collaboration with some heavy rock bands...maybe a Metallica G or an Iron Maiden edition... This was mentioned on the mygshock forum but I thought I might bring it up again. What do you think?

Cheers,

Re: G Shock Collaborations...

From your icon, I was thinking maybe a tie-up with Technics with a G-module including a BPM counter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Tom View Post
    Hey all,

Just been perusing the mygshock.com site and I've seen that there are some pretty cool collaborations around both past and present with some interesting designs/features for different G-Shock models. It got me thinking who would I really like to see doing a collaboration with G-Shock? They seem to have tapped into all kinds of areas...music/designers/artists/organisations/brands...etc etc so I guess theres all kinds of possibilities...I'd really like to see a collaboration with some heavy rock bands...maybe a Metallica G or an Iron Maiden edition... This was mentioned on the mygshock forum but I thought I might bring it up again. What do you think?

Cheers,
    Casio should consider coming up with real tie-up models, with designs and features that are truly unique to the collaborations they represent.

It's getting disappointing how most of their "collaboration models" are just varying colors and patterns on a template DW-6900 every single time.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Casio should consider coming up with real tie-up models, with designs and features that are truly unique to the collaborations they represent.
    I agree entirely. Here's a thought - I wonder what the implications would be of releasing a special edition, which probably would be of limited numbers, which included a unique feature or function within the module?

Casio expect to sell huge numbers of each module, and so they can take the time to test each one and ensure its reliability.

But in a limited number, maybe it wouldn't be economical to produce a truly different variation. I can't thank Casio enough for continuing to make and sell electronic devices like the Gs which don't crash, which don't need bug fixes or firmware updates, and exist entirely outside the common culture of selling half-finished devices to people. Phones, GPS units, cameras, even hi-fi and entertainment devices - it's become acceptable to sell all these as unfinished products which will require updating by the owner.

So I'm all in favour of limited edition modules, just as long as they can remain as reliable and bombproof as the regular modules.

Here's a quick idea on the Iron Maiden theme. I could handle one of these if they could make the "eyes" correspond with Eddie's!

Last edited by Maine; September 30th, 2009 at 15:24.

Maiden G with Eddie engraved on the back plate would be awesome!

Banned

I would like to see a frog in collaboration with Scubapro {black/silver.., Mares {black/neon yellow.., USDivers {black/red.. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post

It's getting disappointing how most of their "collaboration models" are just varying colors and patterns on a template DW-6900 every single time.
    Very true. They all seem to be variations on DW-6900 or DW-5600. These things must be very profitable.
    1. No R&D, tried and tested models with no outlay.
    2. Pay the 'designer' or collaborator a percentage.
    3. Alot are bought by collectors who will buy them regardless or fashionistas who buy them and ditch them when the battery dies.

If Casio really wanted to coin in,
    • they could go down the band route ( a red U2 G-Shock for their AIDS charity?)
    • video games (Halo G-Shock would sell loads)
    • charities beyond WCCS/ICERC (a nice yellow Livestrong GW-6900 with an indented band would be sweet)
    • or the ultimate - an Apple tie-in with some sort of associated app.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    I agree entirely. Here's a thought - I wonder what the implications would be of releasing a special edition, which probably would be of limited numbers, which included a unique feature or function within the module?

Casio expect to sell huge numbers of each module, and so they can take the time to test each one and ensure its reliability.

But in a limited number, maybe it wouldn't be economical to produce a truly different variation. I can't thank Casio enough for continuing to make and sell electronic devices like the Gs which don't crash, which don't need bug fixes or firmware updates, and exist entirely outside the common culture of selling half-finished devices to people. Phones, GPS units, cameras, even hi-fi and entertainment devices - it's become acceptable to sell all these as unfinished products which will require updating by the owner.

So I'm all in favour of limited edition modules, just as long as they can remain as reliable and bombproof as the regular modules.

Here's a quick idea on the Iron Maiden theme. I could handle one of these if they could make the "eyes" correspond with Eddie's!

Thats awesome! All it needs is a guitar tuner function added to the module, a metal bezel that can be used for opening beer bottles and room to store spare plectrums underneath on the screw back panel.....

Some good points and ideas so far, I do think Casio could vary the base models and definitely gear modules up to incorporate functions unique to the collaboration. When you think about the vast array of functions/features in previous G Shocks particularly in the Master of G series I think there is plenty of scope to combine these to create new models and collaborations. I am surprised that there isn't a U2 G-shock collaboration yet though...maybe a 'Master of Edge' which has an inbuilt calculator to work out guitar delay effect timings....

Quote Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
    Maiden G with Eddie engraved on the back plate would be awesome!
    I'm not sure why Eddie needs to be rust resistant... maybe the undead dissolve easily, who knows.

Maine you are Pro with the Photoshop! If I didn't know better I'd have taken those pics for an actual release :oops:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information