G Shock Computer

Thread: G Shock Computer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G Shock Computer

Hi everyone! Here in the US, Panasonic sells a line of laptop computers called "Toughbooks". They are supposed to be water/splash and shock resistant (a G Shock computer) and are styled to look rugged. Being a big fan of the G Shock watches because of their toughness, this line of computers is very appealing to me. Just out of curiosity, how many of you have this computer or find them appealing? How have they held up to abuse?

Re: G Shock Computer

We use them at work in the shop. They stand up to some decent abuse. Falling off car hoods, grease, grime, chemicals, etc. One of them got stepped on on accident and it still working like a champ. They're not pretty. They're not the most powerful things available. They're certainly not cheap. If you really need a laptop that can stand up to rough environments then I'd consider one. If you want it just because of the reputation and novelty factor I'd consider something else.
    One feature I love on our units is the screen converts for use as a tablet PC. Full touch-screen as well. That I use a lot. Much easier to run diag or reprogram an ECU in a mostly limited space.

Sounds like they really are pretty tough! I have to admit, I am mainly attracted to the novelty of it, knowing it can take all that punishment and still work. I doubt I'd ever abuse the computer anywhere near what the ones at your work go through.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Then I say look elsewhere. They're much too expensive, honestly.

we use these computers for work too
    we have found that they are crap as we have gone thru about 12 screens in the past 2 years and they over heat very easy
    for the price of these laptops they are very expensive and i would of thoguht they would of been tougher
    sorry for my money id steer clear
    oh we have had about 5 die altogether and had to get new ones

Quote Originally Posted by dingosrun View Post
    we use these computers for work too
    we have found that they are crap as we have gone thru about 12 screens in the past 2 years and they over heat very easy
    for the price of these laptops they are very expensive and i would of thoguht they would of been tougher
    sorry for my money id steer clear
    oh we have had about 5 die altogether and had to get new ones
    Wow. We haven't had a single one go bad. Maybe we got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit 91 View Post
    Then I say look elsewhere. They're much too expensive, honestly.
    Some older models are quite cheap, relatively. Sterling XS in the UK sell them.

They also sell the ITRONIX, which I haven't had a chance to play with properly yet.

There were lots of very rugged computers on display at DSEi in London a couple of months back. I did enjoy having a play with them!

EDIT: I should add that I agree; unless you need the ruggedness, these are probably not worth the money. Even the cheap refurb units are expensive for the spec that you're getting.
    Last edited by dudegalea; November 12th, 2007 at 22:51.

The ones I have used are rugged and can take a beating but the pace of technology is out pacing them to a good extent. Since they have to be tough and so on they will not be top of the line so to speak as it take time to hardden new technology. By then they are starting to get out of date already. Since they are rugged you expect them to last a long time but in 2 or 3 years they are out dated and you will upgrade to a better machine anyway. Hince the price of owning one of them for the novlty of it is not worth it.

You could by 2 better laptops, feature wise, for the money of one of them.

Just my 2 cent worth.
    Stan The Man

Careful what you wish for. YOU MAY GET IT!!!

Yes, you guys are right in my case for sure. I really don't need the extra ruggedness, just like the novelty of it. Thanks for the info and opinions.

I think that for the average person, a Thinkpad is plenty rugged enough to survive until technology demands a new purchase. Thinkpads are aren't bombproof, but tougher than your average laptop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information