G-Shock Connected App Experience?
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: G-Shock Connected App Experience?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

G-Shock Connected App Experience?

Hello Gs,

I am gearing up for a G-Shock purchase. I currently have a ProTrek 3510 as my daily watch and I like it a lot. But, after a few months of use, I have decided I would like my main watch to have an analog display. Analog or analog+digital would both be cool for me. But, I am addicted to my Multiband and Tough solar niceties, so I have been narrowing my search to a G that includes both those features. However, I know that Bluetooth + Connected app may serve the same end goal as Multiband, but I want to know some things about the experience from anyone who is currently using it.

How automatic is the Bluetooth sync with an iPhone? Does it require that the Casio Connected app be running in the foreground? As a comparison, I use Bluetooth Tile trackers and absolutely find them to be wonderfully useful. There is a Tile app that is installed on my iPhone. But once the app is installed, my phone will connect automatically (and silently) to the bluetooth Tiles when they are in range. If I turn off my phone and turn it on, they still connect automatically without me having to start up the Tile app again. It is a very modern experience.

If the Casio Connected app and G-Shock bluetooth enabled watch operated like that, then Eureka!, I would definitely consider Bluetooth as a suitable alternative to Multiband. But, I can also imagine a situation where Casio requires that I launch the app and tap a button if I consciously want to sync the time. If that were the case, I would not find it suitable alternative.

Can anyone who is currently using it (with an iPhone) chime in on the actual day-to-day experience of the Bluetooth and Connected app?

Re: G-Shock Connected App Experience?

I'm curious as well to learn more about how these work.

I can't speak to the app or ownership experience, and am not familiar with these, but I'm aware that any connected watch will always have a limited time frame during which you can enjoy the connected features and capabilities.

The technology will undoubtedly be updated eventually to the point of obsolescence so for any sort of longevity, it still needs to function entirely independently.

I'd be curious to know if these can or do?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    kenls likes this.
    So many watches, so little time...

I have no problems with the app — but, if you are using Bluetooth heavily you will be disappointed. At least the iPhone can connect only to one device at the time.

Casio app needs to run in background, but it cannot connect to the watch, when another app is using Bluetooth. That’s a thing of Bluetooth not the app.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DUPLICATE POST!

Decided to use this photo for all my dupe posts in the future when I edit them.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:28.
    kcohS-G likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Quote Originally Posted by memento_mori View Post
    I have no problems with the app — but, if you are using Bluetooth heavily you will be disappointed. At least the iPhone can connect only to one device at the time.

Casio app needs to run in background, but it cannot connect to the watch, when another app is using Bluetooth. That’s a thing of Bluetooth not the app.
    Agree, BT is the issue.....in more ways than one, as BT is also a nasty phone battery drain if left on.

I end up swiping down the iPhone home screen to start the app residing in the backround, to connect a Casio, as I have 5 BT capable Casio, to update the time on each, one at a time by holding down a watch button for 5 seconds to connect. Once connected, time updating is nearly instantaneous (only a second or two or three), much, Much faster than the Clock Wave app and the after midnight over the air from Ft. Collins methods.

Once updated, push a watch button to disconnect. BT transmitting on the phone seems to stop once the app is back to the backround.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:35.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

I'm glad i went with a model that offered multiple methods of updating the time, because bluetooth isn't really automatic.
    The app needs to be running, BT on, and then hold a button down to connect from the watch.
    It's easy to set functions with but drains battery, doesn't let you close it unless you force it through system settings (android) and bluetooth drains battery.
    The app is also way too large (170mb+) mostly because it supports 20 or so modules i guess but still even seems large considering what it does.
    I really like that 6AT or GPS feature that updates automatically no need for phone
    redfishingboat likes this.

I’m no fan of BT and try my utmost to get a MB6 watch but sometimes this is not possible and I have to go BT. Still don’t let the have full reign of my BT connection and do the syncing when it suits me rather than the watch. I’ve experienced no problems with the app on my iPad.
    redfishingboat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by memento_mori View Post

This is quite false. My iPhone is currently connected to 4 different Tiles via bluetooth, I am listening to Bluetooth headphones and using a Bluetooth keyboard to type this. I was hoping to know if the Casio app was like the Tile app. But, it sounds like it is not. If so, that is a limitation of the software developers, not Bluetooth.
    pihalbe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jpshock View Post
    bluetooth isn't really automatic.
    The app needs to be running, BT on, and then hold a button down to connect from the watch.
    Thank you for directly answering my question. I hope the Casio software team can step their game up at some point. A much more seamless experience is possible if they want to pursue it -- and the future would be wonderful For now, I will keep waiting

For auto time adjustment, you do not need to do anything provided that Bluetooth is on and Casio app is running on the background. (I'm Android user but Casio manual describe this too)
    GaryK30 and Time4Playnow like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast