Which G-Shock do I need? Multiple timers, vibe alarm, (bluetooth, solar if possible)
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By zabat
  • 1 Post By zack20cb
  • 2 Post By zabat
  • 1 Post By zabat
  • 2 Post By GaryK30
  • 1 Post By Nemo_Sandman

Thread: Which G-Shock do I need? Multiple timers, vibe alarm, (bluetooth, solar if possible)

Smile Which G-Shock do I need? Multiple timers, vibe alarm, (bluetooth, solar if possible)

Hello there! This is my first post here and I'm hoping some of you could help me to find a watch that fits my needs.

I have been looking at the G-Shock GBA-800 as it appears to allow me to create multiple timers that start on certain days & times and alert at set intervals.

Basically, I need a timer to start on Mondays at 06:35 AM and repeat every 25 minutes until I manually turn it off, or a certain time is reached, say 23:00 PM. From info I have read on some of the forums here, this watch can do this. (please correct me if this is not the case)

Unfortunately, this watch does not have vibe alarm. This is a must have as I need these alerts to be discreet.

Does anyone know of a G-Shock that has the timer functionality I need along with vibe alarm. Bluetooth and solar would be nice to haves!

Thanks, hope some of you can help!

Re: Which G-Shock do I need? Multiple timers, vibe alarm, (bluetooth, solar if possible)

Afaict, there are no Casios, G-Shock or otherwise that have CDTs with auto-repeat. The closest you could come is the GD-350, and you could set 5 alarms, and then reset them after the last one is activated, but that is time-consuming and cumbersome.

I have the W-736 and the STB-1000, and while their vibration is strong, the CDTs do not repeat on either, and the W-736 only has one alarm.
    Name:  P1110103.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  1.55 MB

Or you could get the Timex Expedition Vibration watches. They DO have autorepeating CDTs, and the vibration is strong on all of them (but slightly stronger on the smaller one with the non-functional compass bezel). Here are some of mine:
    Name:  P1110067.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  1.47 MB
    None of these watches have Solar, but the STB-1000 does have Bluetooth, which I don't use, but even without using Bluetooth, it's one heck of a watch.
    Last edited by zabat; 1 Week Ago at 20:39.
    Davidka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zabat View Post
    Afaict, there are no Casios, G-Shock or otherwise that have CDTs with auto-repeat. The closest you could come is the GD-350, and you could set 5 alarms, and then reset them after the last one is activated, but that is time-consuming and cumbersome.
    You must mean there are no Casios with auto-repeating *vibrating* CDTs. Even the basic DW-5600 has an auto-repeating CDT, it just doesn’t have vibration.

Maybe there’s a reason...maybe a short CDT with vibration would run the watch down pretty quickly if inadvertently left running.

Good to know that those Timexes have this capability! In my limited experience, G-Shocks have been way ahead of the Timex digitals in terms of featurization. This is an interesting exception.
    blondygirl69 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Which G-Shock do I need? Multiple timers, vibe alarm, (bluetooth, solar if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by zack20cb View Post
    You must mean there are no Casios with auto-repeating *vibrating* CDTs. Even the basic DW-5600 has an auto-repeating CDT, it just doesn’t have vibration.

Maybe there’s a reason...maybe a short CDT with vibration would run the watch down pretty quickly if inadvertently left running.

Good to know that those Timexes have this capability! In my limited experience, G-Shocks have been way ahead of the Timex digitals in terms of featurization. This is an interesting exception.
    "there are no Casios with auto-repeating *vibrating* CDTs."

D'OH! I screwed up there! That's right. Lot's of G's and Casio non-G's do this, but there are no Vibrating Casios with autorepeat currently in production. Afaict. I would love to be proved wrong.

Also, there used to be a vibrating Casio, a G-Shock in fact, that had Solar. The GW-400J, aka, the Silencer. It might have had autorepeat on the CDT. However, it is long out of production. I did see one in a store in Japan, and foolishly, did not scoop it up. I have no idea how strong the vibration is.

Here's a pic "borrowed" from the internet:

Name:  GW-400J_japanese.png
Views: 32
Size:  224.3 KB

"G-Shocks have been way ahead of the Timex digitals in terms of featurization." You know what the Casios have over the Timexes? They (well, the GD-350 and the STB-1000) show time in other modes. And they allow for a vibrating hourly signal, something that, for some incomprehensible reason, the Timexes do not. The watch companies, for some odd reason, are forbidden from producing the perfect watch, dang it!
    Last edited by zabat; 1 Week Ago at 22:29. Reason: need to rant
    Davidka and Nemo_Sandman like this.

Come to the dark side... we got Garmin Instinct...
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/g...l-4824981.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo_Sandman View Post
    Come to the dark side... we got Garmin Instinct...
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/g...l-4824981.html
    OMG!!!! I read all 70 pages, and the question thread too. And nobody asked whether it is possible to use this watch without a smartphone, or, failing that, to pair it with a tablet. But it sure looks like what I would like in an ideal G-Shock. Except for the need to be tethered to a charger every few weeks.

OP. apologies for the slightly off-topic diversion. Then again, the Garmin Instinct does pretty much everything a G-Shock does, and much more. Minus: the need to be charged every couple of weeks. Plus: large, high contrast numerals/ customisable face, very effective vibration alarm, and all those other functions, such as direction, storm warnings, GPS etc. Huge plus, imho. Yep, I am going to have to get one of these. Imagine what future iterations will be like!
    Nemo_Sandman likes this.

Garmin instinct has great specifications — butt mine is now since six weeks at the repair service. It failed after only three months, and the service seems to be horrible, at least in Austria.

Many amazon reviews say the same: great watch if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by memento_mori View Post
    Garmin instinct has great specifications — butt mine is now since six weeks at the repair service. It failed after only three months, and the service seems to be horrible, at least in Austria.

At this point, maybe they should just replace it with a new one.
    Dxnnis and Nemo_Sandman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by memento_mori View Post

Don't forget reviews are often done by people who are disappointed. Happy users don't care about reviewing so much in comparaison.
    For the record, my Fenix 5X and 5X Plus (flagships of the Fenix series) both has been changed/replaced for another unit by Garmin. (Once I have been waiting for 8 weeks and bought my stunning GPW2000 thinking I will never trust Garmin again...)
    That's why there are two years of warranty on those watches.

So far so good with my Instinct which is one of the very first generation. No crash, no bug it just goes "ticking" since the first activation.

Quote Originally Posted by zabat View Post
    OMG!!!! I read all 70 pages, and the question thread too. And nobody asked whether it is possible to use this watch without a smartphone, or, failing that, to pair it with a tablet. But it sure looks like what I would like in an ideal G-Shock. Except for the need to be tethered to a charger every few weeks.
    Without a smartphone, the watch is able to provide you ABC and GPS. (And great timing functions.) It works great !
    Connecting to a smartphone is mandatory for weather reports, sync of activities, notifications, route planning.
    But the watch can be used with zero phone pairing !
    You can upgrade (if you want) the watch with your PC.
    Last edited by Nemo_Sandman; 1 Week Ago at 18:30.
    zabat likes this.

Thread Information