G-Shock down under
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Tetsu Tekubi
  • 1 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By STEVIE
  • 1 Post By Watch_Geekmaster

Thread: G-Shock down under

G-Shock down under

I received my first G yesterday (G7900A-7) and I would like to to change the date to day/month format and flip the moonphase the correct way but it seems like you can't.
    Can anyone confirm if this is possible or not?

This is only a minor annoyance though, I am loving my new watch otherwise.
    Last edited by Lysergic; December 9th, 2014 at 17:51. Reason: Clarity

Re: G-Shock down under

Quote Originally Posted by Lysergic View Post
    I received my first G yesterday (G7900A-7) and I would like to to change the date to day/month format and flip the moonphase the correct way but it seems like you can't.
    Can anyone confirm if this is possible or not?

This is only a minor annoyance though, I am loving my new watch otherwise.
    Welcome to WUS!

Unfortunately, neither of those things is possible on that watch -- most Casios are set up for the month/day format, including that one. (Until now, I'd never realized that only the US and Belize normally use that format!)

As someone once said in another thread, "the moonphase IS set up the right way, you're just looking at it wrong!" The part where the LCD is active (or dark, on that model) is the part that is in shadow; the lighter part (or the inactive LCD) is the part of the moon that is illuminated by the sun -- so "light part of dial = bright part of moon."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    As someone once said in another thread, "the moonphase IS set up the right way, you're just looking at it wrong!" The part where the LCD is active (or dark, on that model) is the part that is in shadow; the lighter part (or the inactive LCD) is the part of the moon that is illuminated by the sun -- so "light part of dial = bright part of moon."
    Thanks for the welcome. :)
    I realize that the unlit side is the visible part of the moon, but as I am in the southern hemisphere it appears to be upside down. It's because I'm looking at the moon wrong not the dial (lol).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the welcome. :)
    I realize that the unlit side is the visible part of the moon, but as I am in the southern hemisphere it appears to be upside down. It's because I'm looking at the moon wrong not the dial (lol).
    no, its because youre in perth :-0

:p

welcome to the forum
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Welcome to WUS!

Unfortunately, neither of those things is possible on that watch -- most Casios are set up for the month/day format, including that one. (Until now, I'd never realized that only the US and Belize normally use that format!)

sorry sorry... not sorry :p

dont worry, most americans (not necessarily you :p ) still say "oh, you guys still use celsius"...

lol
    pocky and STEVIE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by soulbridgemedia View Post
    dont worry, most americans (not necessarily you :p ) still say "oh, you guys still use celsius"...
    The US has officially been on the metric system since 1866, sort of, and unofficially. I was a kid in the 1970's, when "...children across America were learning the metric system at school, gas stations were charging by the liter, freeway signs in some states gave distances in kilometers, and American metrication seemed all but inevitable," and not for the first time. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/bo...-marciano.html

Take a look at all six pages of Why isn't the U.S. on the metric system? - HowStuffWorks, too, to see just how goofy things can be in a country where we actually use BOTH systems simultaneously but arbitrarily, and for some of the "reasons" metrication has failed in the US for over 100 years. (For what it's worth, the reasons seem to boil down to "politics" and "apathy/laziness.")

Soda comes in two liter bottles, but milk, gasoline, and most other liquids come in gallons. Major breweries sell beer in ounces, but liquor is often sold in metric bottles. Soccer fields are measured in meters (of course) and often on the same fields as American football, which marks the lines in yards. Cameras used to measure FILM in millimeters, but photographic prints were measured in inches. Rulers, "yardsticks" and measuring cups often have both types of measurements marked on them, and we still have SOME of those metric freeway signs hanging around.

IF those sources are to be trusted, there may be another push soon for the US to catch up with the rest of the world, but as has been mentioned here in other threads, people are resistant to change, so I don't expect it to succeed any time soon.

Edit: ironically, computers and the internet have taught me to recognize weather temperatures in Celsius (without having to convert them!) when friends around the world talk about their weather, and a friend and I in the UK used to laugh about THEM being on the metric system when we were still using THEIR old system. On the other hand, a lot of people think that computers, the internet and smartphones mean that the US WON'T switch to the metric system since anybody anywhere can convert back and forth with such ease. I wish we'd made the leap back in the 1970's, but everybody over the age of 12 seemed to want to stick with the status quo because it was easier.
    Last edited by Mike K; December 10th, 2014 at 05:13.
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

The US has officially been on the metric system since 1866, sort of, and unofficially. I was a kid in the 1970's, when "...children across America were learning the metric system at school, gas stations were charging by the liter, freeway signs in some states gave distances in kilometers, and American metrication seemed all but inevitable," and not for the first time. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/bo...-marciano.html

Take a look at all six pages of Why isn't the U.S. on the metric system? - HowStuffWorks, too, to see just how goofy things can be in a country where we actually use BOTH systems simultaneously but arbitrarily, and for some of the "reasons" metrication has failed in the US for over 100 years. (For what it's worth, the reasons seem to boil down to "politics" and "apathy/laziness.")

Soda comes in two liter bottles, but milk, gasoline, and most other liquids come in gallons. Major breweries sell beer in ounces, but liquor is often sold in metric bottles. Soccer fields are measured in meters (of course) and often on the same fields as American football, which marks the lines in yards. Cameras used to measure FILM in millimeters, but photographic prints were measured in inches. Rulers, "yardsticks" and measuring cups often have both types of measurements marked on them, and we still have SOME of those metric freeway signs hanging around.

IF those sources are to be trusted, there may be another push soon for the US to catch up with the rest of the world, but as has been mentioned here in other threads, people are resistant to change, so I don't expect it to succeed any time soon.

Edit: ironically, computers and the internet have taught me to recognize weather temperatures in Celsius (without having to convert them!) when friends around the world talk about their weather, and a friend and I in the UK used to laugh about THEM being on the metric system when we were still using THEIR old system. On the other hand, a lot of people think that computers, the internet and smartphones mean that the US WON'T switch to the metric system since anybody anywhere can convert back and forth with such ease. I wish we'd made the leap back in the 1970's, but everybody over the age of 12 seemed to want to stick with the status quo because it was easier.
    i def. agree (and as i said, it may not refer to you directly), i do know the general reluctance etc of present but didnt know the full history back to france so that hsw article was an interesting read
    we still used alot of both as well in a colloquial sense and for some things it just sounds better and more easily referenced using imperial. speakers, car wheels and tv screens are all referred to in inches. i look at my wheels and see 19" not a bit under 50cm lol boost guage and tyre pressures are in psi not bar and calling a footlong sub or 12" record "a 30cm" def. doesnt have the same ring to it lol same goes for a pint, it would be just down right frustrating ordering another "585ml" after youve had a few lol

still, even without metric it doesnt make the roundaboutness of imperial any less funny ;)

Inferial can be annoying, but I suppose it still has its uses :p
    So is there no way to flip the moonphase?

Moon phases are of no interest to me, but the only shortcoming I have with G-Shock here in Oz is that it will not sync with the terrestrial radio signals in Asia, USA or Europe. Yes, I know the answer may be to get a GPW1000A that has in built GPS rcvr, but I am not shelling out AUD$1299 for one as yet!!!

The date arse about never worried me either as I lived an worked in the USA for 13 years, so I am bi-lingual in a manner of speaking LOL.

Miles, Yards, feet and inches and gallons and pints are no worries as I am from another age that grew up with Pounds, shillings and pence, but that's another story.
    Last edited by STEVIE; December 10th, 2014 at 13:29.

Inferial can be annoying, but I suppose it still has its uses :p
    So is there no way to flip the moonphase?
    You can try standing upside down. It's easier than to flip the moon, or the Earth.

Thread Information