WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

G-Shock DW-5600E for Police Work

11K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Ronin226 
#1 · (Edited)
I've just joined this forum, but I've been a G-Shock wearer since 2000. I just got a DW-5600E for work because the old Timex I had died. I had been using my cell phone for a watch at work, not a good idea! I work as a patrol officer in a large city on swing shift. I just wanted to share some of my feedback about this watch in a police work environment.

The small low profile size is great for fitting under long sleeve uniforms and jackets. It also reduces the chance of it getting snagged or accidentally torn off in a struggle. The buttons are properly recessed so they aren't activated inadvertently.

The available functions are all I ever need on the job. 24 hour clock, well we use 24 hour time so there it is. Stop watch with current time shown, I have to use the stop watch to time DUI tests and I can still see the time without scrolling back and forth. This is an awesome, over looked detail about this watch, being able to see the time in any mode! Timer, I set this at 40 minutes for my 40 minute lunch break. Once the alarm goes off it resets to 40 minutes, that saves me the time of having to reset the timer every day. Alarm, haven't had a use for the alarm at work yet, but its an alarm.. self explainatory.

The display is easy to read, even using ambient light at night. If its pitch black the electro luminescent backlight is excellent. I've seen officers using their cellphones to check the time on perimeters at night and it lights of their face.

I received this watch as a gift, but its under $50 at most stores. An excellent price for such a good functional watch, cheap enough that if it were destroyed or lost I wouldn't suffer from depression... I could just roll to Walmart and grab another.

Anyone else care to share their experience with this watch on the job?

See less See more
#2 ·
It is probably the most practical G-shock available, all things considered. I have one that I keep in my gym bag for backup in case I don't want to work out in whatever watch I am currently wearing. I just got another, barely used DW-5600E off ebay for $13 shipped! I agree one of the best things about it is you don't worry about it. You don't even have to think about it, it is just there when you need it.

#4 ·
I've just joined this forum, but I've been a G-Shock wearer since 2000. I just got a DW-5600E for work because the old Timex I had died. I had been using my cell phone for a watch at work, not a good idea! I work as a patrol officer in a large city on swing shift. I just wanted to share some of my feedback about this watch in a police work environment.

The small low profile size is great for fitting under long sleeve uniforms and jackets. It also reduces the chance of it getting snagged or accidentally torn off in a struggle. The buttons are properly recessed so they aren't activated inadvertently.

The available functions are all I ever need on the job. 24 hour clock, well we use 24 hour time so there it is. Stop watch with current time shown, I have to use the stop watch to time DUI tests and I can still see the time without scrolling back and forth. This is an awesome, over looked detail about this watch, being able to see the time in any mode! Timer, I set this at 40 minutes for my 40 minute lunch break. Once the alarm goes off it resets to 40 minutes, that saves me the time of having to reset the timer every day. Alarm, haven't had a use for the alarm at work yet, but its an alarm.. self explainatory.

The display is easy to read, even using ambient light at night. If its pitch black the electro luminescent backlight is excellent. I've seen officers using their cellphones to check the time on perimeters at night and it lights of their face.

I received this watch as a gift, but its under $50 at most stores. An excellent price for such a good functional watch, cheap enough that if it were destroyed or lost I wouldn't suffer from depression... I could just roll to Walmart and grab another.

Ronin226,

Welcome to the forum. I think the DW5600e is a great all around "beater". It was my first G Shock. Look at my signature line and you will see I like them. I have more than one.

BTW, Welcome to the forum! Great bunch of folks here with tons O' knowledge from them and lots of research material.

Have a great day,

#5 ·
Hi Ronin,

Welcome to the G-Shock forum. The basic DW-5600 and DW-6900 models are perfect for all kinds work. When I'm about to dobdirty work, I strap on one of my abused DW-6900s.

These models are popular models on rescue workers, ambulance personnel, policemen, soldiers, etc.

It's what you wrote. They are very tough and cheap (in the US and East Asia). If the watch might fail on you, just buy a new one. Well, you got to do your best to make it fail, so under normal tough circumstances, they should perform right.

Cheers,

Sjors

Sent using Tapatalk!

#7 ·
I think this thread explains why the "basic" 5600 is still popular and still selling well 30 years after the first version was introduced!

It's relatively inexpensive, mostly indestructible, not so large that it gets in the wearer's way, but most importantly it has all of the basic features most wearers really need without any extras -- or extra cost. I love my solar/atomic G's, but I seldom use the world time features and so far have never used more than two alarms on any watch.

Like everybody here, I reach for my 5600 when I know I'm going to be doing something dirty or potentially destructive to a watch, like working in the yard or working on my Jeep. If it gets damaged, I can always replace the strap or bezel...but by the time you add in shipping, it really wouldn't cost that much more to just buy a whole new watch!

I've used mine at several jobs, where the alarm and countdown timer were useful for reminders for when to go to lunch and when to go back to work -- AND it was a lot of fun to watch the 20 year olds who couldn't carry their phones on the job as they realized how useful a wristwatch could be!

#8 ·
That's true about those who can't have their phone for a particular reason, or their crappy battery dies and their are watch-less. I've told new guys they need wrist watches on the job and most of them look at me like I'm insane while they clutch their iPhones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
The DW-5600E was my first Casio. I think I read somewhere that there was a warning (dim light?) when the battery was beginning to fail. Does anyone know about this? I spend considerable time in the wilderness, and after one spontaneous Seiko battery death, I am reluctant to use anything but a solar. Casio batteries have long lives, but even so.... Thanks.

#12 ·
Your Seiko most probably runned on a crappy silver-oxide type batt. Don't ever worry about sudden deaths of Lithium batts ( a CR2016 in case of the DW-5600), it simply ain't gonna happen.

cheers

#11 ·
You guys in the US are really lucky to get the DW-5600 so cheap (and pretty much anything else). Over here, these days a DW-5600E cost more than an atomic/solar GW-6900 can you imagine?

cheers

#15 ·
For LEO, EMS or military work,there's a whole lot to love with the 5600e. As the OP mentioned, it doesn't get hooked on long sleeves, jackets or exam gloves. The day, date and 24 hr time display is helpful too, along with a very good light. I'm on my third right now, my second died after almost ten years and I just pulled in to the next Walmart I drove buy and picked one up. This one has taken a real beating over the past couple years. It's everything I need and nothing I don't.

#16 · (Edited)
The DW-5600E is one of my all-time favorites. It's generally so inexpensive, it's practically disposable. It's definitely cheap enough that you never worry about ruining the watch. That fact alone probably means that it's one of the most often abused models.

The smallish size (small for today's fashion) keeps the DW-5600E from getting knocked on everything, where my DW-6900s and Frogmen seem to be magnets for door frames and the like. I really like the DW-5600E strap too. It's definitely one of the more comfortable G-Shock straps.

The 1545 module is in fact outstanding. One of the best that Casio has produced. The face is uncluttered and the digits are bold. The backlight really lights up the display. You can see both day and date at the same time. It has all of the basic modes that I ever use, and actually shows the current time in CDT and stopwatch modes, which is huge for me. The backlight function indicator is even pretty handy.

It gets even better. Spare bezels and straps are inexpensive and easy to find in a variety of colors. If you search hard, you can even track down an occasional set of accompanying bull bars. Strap adapters are easy to track down. And if the battery should ever run out, even though it lasts for a loooooooong time, you can change out the battery without having to worry about losing a tiny alarm spring, as the 1545 module uses simple bent tabs to make contact with the case back.

The DW-5600E is just purely driven by function. No gimmicky dials. No sensors to fail. No needlessly large case. No faux-screw adornments to get lost. Just simple timekeeping functions in an incredibly versatile package. The module is even easy to regulate, with an adjustment screw in plain sight of the inside of the watch.

There's really very little to criticize on this watch. The module could maybe use some updating, but I say that hesitantly. Chances are that some of the module's unique and excellent functions would be lost if it was changed, which would be a shame.

I love the DW-5600E. I have a whole bunch of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

#19 ·
There's really very little to criticize on this watch. The module could maybe use some updating, but I say that hesitantly. Chances are that some of the module's unique and excellent functions would be lost if it was changed, which would be a shame.
I see that you already saw the not-terribly new "news!" :)

Wow. I just read on Wikipedia about the new 3229 module for the DW-5600E. Is the physical construction of the new module the same as the old 1545 module? Any notable differences?

I think I totally need to go out and get one of these newer modules.
I haven't taken the back off my 3229-equipped "new" DW-5600E, but from the outside the only difference I can see between my "old" DW-5600E and my new one is the calendar, which I think is the only significant change.

The EL on my new one is quite a bit more "green" and less "blue-green" than the old one, but that seems to be relatively common between different production lots of G's.

#18 ·
Wow. I just read on Wikipedia about the new 3229 module for the DW-5600E. Is the physical construction of the new module the same as the old 1545 module? Any notable differences?

I think I totally need to go out and get one of these newer modules.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

#21 · (Edited)
The photo of the DW-5600E on Amazon shows the 1545 module but who knows which module will be in the watch one would actually receive.

BTW the module is also installed crooked.

#22 ·
Great post, welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service.

I was on the job many moons ago and my first "line of duty" watch was my Seiko diver. But eventually I got a 5600 from Wallyworld after hearing its praises from other deputies and friends I had in the military. You just can't go wrong with that watch; it'll never go 10-7. ;-)

#25 ·

I'm a patrol officer as well and I wore a DW5600E for a while, but I have been wearing a GW6900 at work for about the past 18 months now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.