G-Shock DW-5600E for Police Work
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: G-Shock DW-5600E for Police Work

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

G-Shock DW-5600E for Police Work

I've just joined this forum, but I've been a G-Shock wearer since 2000. I just got a DW-5600E for work because the old Timex I had died. I had been using my cell phone for a watch at work, not a good idea! I work as a patrol officer in a large city on swing shift. I just wanted to share some of my feedback about this watch in a police work environment.

The small low profile size is great for fitting under long sleeve uniforms and jackets. It also reduces the chance of it getting snagged or accidentally torn off in a struggle. The buttons are properly recessed so they aren't activated inadvertently.

The available functions are all I ever need on the job. 24 hour clock, well we use 24 hour time so there it is. Stop watch with current time shown, I have to use the stop watch to time DUI tests and I can still see the time without scrolling back and forth. This is an awesome, over looked detail about this watch, being able to see the time in any mode! Timer, I set this at 40 minutes for my 40 minute lunch break. Once the alarm goes off it resets to 40 minutes, that saves me the time of having to reset the timer every day. Alarm, haven't had a use for the alarm at work yet, but its an alarm.. self explainatory.

The display is easy to read, even using ambient light at night. If its pitch black the electro luminescent backlight is excellent. I've seen officers using their cellphones to check the time on perimeters at night and it lights of their face.

I received this watch as a gift, but its under $50 at most stores. An excellent price for such a good functional watch, cheap enough that if it were destroyed or lost I wouldn't suffer from depression... I could just roll to Walmart and grab another.

Anyone else care to share their experience with this watch on the job?
    Last edited by Ronin226; December 21st, 2013 at 21:05.
    postur, avusblue, Piowa and 18 others like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Re: G-Shock DW-5600E for Police Work

It is probably the most practical G-shock available, all things considered. I have one that I keep in my gym bag for backup in case I don't want to work out in whatever watch I am currently wearing. I just got another, barely used DW-5600E off ebay for $13 shipped! I agree one of the best things about it is you don't worry about it. You don't even have to think about it, it is just there when you need it.
    nigelw, Ottovonn, Rocat and 2 others like this.

Everyone should have a DW5600E. It's a cheap and tough watch with a good feature set. It's my gym watch, mostly because I can set a repeating countdown for stretching and sets to the second. It's also the only G that can readily wake me up from sleep. My G9000 is a close second but my Tough Solars are too quiet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin226 View Post
    I've just joined this forum, but I've been a G-Shock wearer since 2000. I just got a DW-5600E for work because the old Timex I had died. I had been using my cell phone for a watch at work, not a good idea! I work as a patrol officer in a large city on swing shift. I just wanted to share some of my feedback about this watch in a police work environment.

The small low profile size is great for fitting under long sleeve uniforms and jackets. It also reduces the chance of it getting snagged or accidentally torn off in a struggle. The buttons are properly recessed so they aren't activated inadvertently.

The available functions are all I ever need on the job. 24 hour clock, well we use 24 hour time so there it is. Stop watch with current time shown, I have to use the stop watch to time DUI tests and I can still see the time without scrolling back and forth. This is an awesome, over looked detail about this watch, being able to see the time in any mode! Timer, I set this at 40 minutes for my 40 minute lunch break. Once the alarm goes off it resets to 40 minutes, that saves me the time of having to reset the timer every day. Alarm, haven't had a use for the alarm at work yet, but its an alarm.. self explainatory.

The display is easy to read, even using ambient light at night. If its pitch black the electro luminescent backlight is excellent. I've seen officers using their cellphones to check the time on perimeters at night and it lights of their face.

I received this watch as a gift, but its under $50 at most stores. An excellent price for such a good functional watch, cheap enough that if it were destroyed or lost I wouldn't suffer from depression... I could just roll to Walmart and grab another.

Anyone else care to share their experience with this watch on the job?

Ronin226,

Welcome to the forum. I think the DW5600e is a great all around "beater". It was my first G Shock. Look at my signature line and you will see I like them. I have more than one.

BTW, Welcome to the forum! Great bunch of folks here with tons O' knowledge from them and lots of research material.

Have a great day,
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Hi Ronin,

Welcome to the G-Shock forum. The basic DW-5600 and DW-6900 models are perfect for all kinds work. When I'm about to dobdirty work, I strap on one of my abused DW-6900s.

These models are popular models on rescue workers, ambulance personnel, policemen, soldiers, etc.

It's what you wrote. They are very tough and cheap (in the US and East Asia). If the watch might fail on you, just buy a new one. Well, you got to do your best to make it fail, so under normal tough circumstances, they should perform right.

Cheers,

Sjors

Sent using Tapatalk!
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Welcome Ronin! Great insights on the watch with your profession. When anyone asks about getting a G, that is the one I recommend :thumbup:

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

I think this thread explains why the "basic" 5600 is still popular and still selling well 30 years after the first version was introduced!

It's relatively inexpensive, mostly indestructible, not so large that it gets in the wearer's way, but most importantly it has all of the basic features most wearers really need without any extras -- or extra cost. I love my solar/atomic G's, but I seldom use the world time features and so far have never used more than two alarms on any watch.

Like everybody here, I reach for my 5600 when I know I'm going to be doing something dirty or potentially destructive to a watch, like working in the yard or working on my Jeep. If it gets damaged, I can always replace the strap or bezel...but by the time you add in shipping, it really wouldn't cost that much more to just buy a whole new watch!

I've used mine at several jobs, where the alarm and countdown timer were useful for reminders for when to go to lunch and when to go back to work -- AND it was a lot of fun to watch the 20 year olds who couldn't carry their phones on the job as they realized how useful a wristwatch could be!
    Chrisek, nigelw, avusblue and 4 others like this.

That's true about those who can't have their phone for a particular reason, or their crappy battery dies and their are watch-less. I've told new guys they need wrist watches on the job and most of them look at me like I'm insane while they clutch their iPhones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Rocat likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin226 View Post
    I've told new guys they need wrist watches on the job and most of them look at me like I'm insane while they clutch their iPhones.
    - that sure evoked some funny pics in my head.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

The DW-5600E was my first Casio. I think I read somewhere that there was a warning (dim light?) when the battery was beginning to fail. Does anyone know about this? I spend considerable time in the wilderness, and after one spontaneous Seiko battery death, I am reluctant to use anything but a solar. Casio batteries have long lives, but even so.... Thanks.
    Ronin226 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information