G-Shock DW-5600E review
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: G-Shock DW-5600E review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-Shock DW-5600E review

Although it may not be one of the most illustrious G's on the market, I would wager that Casios most basic current G-Shock, the DW-5600E, is the biggest seller of the range.
    As far as reviews on the net go, it seems to be a bit of a wallflower, so I thought I would share some impressions for those who might be interested.
    I won't go into too much detail about module #1545 and the 5600E's technical specs, as they are readily available elsewhere - but allow me a few observations. The display is very crisp, and uncluttered by G-Shock standards. Turning off the 'backlight function' (you can still use the EL backlight normally, it just won't flash when the alarm goes off) means one pictograph less on the face, and a somewhat cleaner look.
    The buttons are fairly accessible but firm. They are slightly recessed from the outline of the case and would be very difficult to depress accidentally. The top left button, used mostly to set the time, is recessed somewhat deeper than the other three buttons - a nice touch, and exemplary of the thought that has gone into the design of this watch.
    By my measurements, the case is 43mm wide and 14mm thick, and the lugs are 16mm apart. The top of the strap itself is about 27mm wide where it meets the case. The top of the strap and the case fit almost flush, so there will be less danger of snagging the case on anything. The rest of the strap tapers down to about 19mm. The strap is very ample (I have 8 holes free on my 6 1/2" wrist!), and made of a comfortably soft resin.
    What do I miss? Well for a start I'd much rather that the DW-5600E had more than just one daily alarm. I would also prefer a 60 minute countdown timer in increments of full minutes instead of the 24h timer with seconds - I appreciate I may be in a minority on this point but I use the timer a lot and feel it could be easier to set. In common with most G-Shocks (and most other digitals for that matter), the functions are not particularly intuitive to use. Still, it's not exactly rocket science and I'm sure devotees of the G can get everything done blindfolded.
    I believe the oldest DW-5600E's are not yet 10 years old, and I cannot say how the resin of bezel and strap will hold up to to the test of time. Replacement bezels and straps for this model are however readily available.
    The overall build quality of the watch is hugely impressive, and it is very comfortable to wear. I believe they can be picked up from online vendors for USD 30 - 40 shipped. For some reason, European vendors rarely seem to stock this model, although I have seen other variations (negative display and textile strap) for sale in Germany.
    Mine is a used, Malaysian made model.
    Whether it's old-skool nerd appeal, anti-hero understatement or just the need for a no-nonsense watch, I think the DW-5600E can deliver.

Kevin

Last edited by bughammer; March 10th, 2006 at 15:40.

Re: G-Shock DW-5600E review

I like the basic 5600E, and it has one of the best modules and displays, IMO. The simple layout gives all the info you need in one quick glance with no extra graphs or charts to get in the way. The main thing I love is the fact that you can see the current time in ANY mode, which means you don't have to toogle around when you need to know the time (perfect when using the stopwatch and still know the right time). If they made this simple yet highly functional module in a slightly larger case (HEY CASIO-think DW-5300) and with a tough solar or ten yr. battery I think it would be my daily wearer.

I can see why NASA would choose this model over many other out there. Simple design, not too big and perfectly capable to handle whatever you can throw at it. Thanks for the review!

Kev

The DW-5300 is a ten year model

Kevin,
    That watch
    Has the original triple ten concept module in it so it should last 10yrs or so battery wise. It is a nice watch. Anyway about the 007 I have not forgot about it

Cheers

Leon

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great review on a great watch!
    I have had mine for about a month now and I'm very pleased with it. It screems no-nonsense and it just delivers. Probably best price/quality ratio available at EU 40,- shipped! Now to fill it up with silicone oil like Angelo and this great watch will be even better!
    If I could change something, it would be a ten-year battery, since this one is rated at two years. Also I think the glass could have been recessed a little bit more (+ 1mm).

this is the best of the basic

Used to be... G-8000 has really gave it run for his money....My Personal opinion is that G-8000 is THE BEST basic G.

Is it a typo or battery for 5600e lasts only 2 years!

I've been wearing this watch since I bought it in 2010. I love it so much for its sturdiness and bulletproofness. Also, about the battery, it does say somewhere that the battery is good for 2 years only. In reality, based on my personal experience, the battery needs changing only after 5 years. To be honest, actually I changed the battery not because the display was completely unreadable. No. I changed it because one of the digits started to wane, which I took as the sign of battery running out of juice. Besides, I had been waiting to change the battery for almost three years. :D I wanted to open the watch myself and see what's inside. It's beautiful.

If you change the battery yourself, please be gentle and extra careful when removing and re-placing the rubber seal (the one that enables this watch to stay alive 200 meters under the sea). Otherwise, you'll lose your beloved watch in an evening bathroom session.
    Ash1979, d2mac, ricardomfs and 2 others like this.

Prdrers likes this.
    Tom

Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more, than the traveling hands of time.

HoosierTrooper,

Cut him some slack he's new. It's his first post. ;)

Wawaney,

Yes, the DW-5600E is a bullet proof watch and as you learned Casio underestimates their battery life by a considerable amount. Glad yo have enjoyed the watch. Remember, when the resin wears out you can buy new straps and a bezel for it.

The cheapest place will be here at PacParts.com
    Casio DW5600E-1V Parts and Accessories
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information