The G-Shock Exception

Thread: The G-Shock Exception

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The G-Shock Exception

My first post on the G-Shock forum here.........

I have become more and more fascinated with Automatic watches over the past two years and my quartz watches just don't do it for me anymore. Several weeks ago I sold all of my quartz watches with the exception of a cheap Casio atomic that I use to set my Auto's to, and an old Skagen that was a gift from my wife.

I've never been attracted to G-Shocks or digital's in general and never handled a G-Shock. Last week I bought my 12 year old son a cheap DW9052 off Amazon because he needs a decent watch this summer as he has swim lessons twice a day and will be at the pool all day. When the watch arrived, I was extremely impressed by it, loved the size, design, rubbery texture and the way the second marker scrolls across the screen. Much nicer than I expected. I now have a Mudman GW9000A incoming that I bought from the sales forum a few days ago, this will replace my Orange Monster as my beater weekend watch and keep it from getting future scratches. I can also use it to set my Auto's and get rid of the cheaper Casio.

Curious if others collect only Automatics, but make an exception for G-Shocks?
    Last edited by dnslater; June 18th, 2010 at 14:04.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Re: The G-Shock exception

Quote Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
    with the exception of a cheap Casio atomic that I use to set my Auto's to...Curious if others collect only Automatics, but make an exception for G-Shocks?
    Yeah, I love the heft and feel of an auto dive watch, but I wonder how many of us use an atomic G to set them - I know I do! The G's have a way of becoming an essential must have - looks like the bug may have bitten you as well.

Welcome!

I love my mechanical and automatic watches and always have but I have only recently (the past 3 weeks) got into G-Shocks and I already have 4!! Definitely something addictive about them.
    Breitling: Ti Chrono Avenger. Blue Dial. Ti Bracelet and Brown Leather Croc Strap w/Deployant
    Casio: GA-100A-1A1ER | GA-100A-7ADR Franken-Watch "StormTrooper" | GW-M5600-1ER | TS-100 | DW-5600C-9CV | DW-5600C-1V | GW-6900BC-1ER | DW-5200C-9 | GXW-56-4JF| G-001-2DR | GF-1000BP-1DR
    Diesel: DZ9039 Skeleton Automatic
    Sicura:
    1970's Mechanical Digital

Storm:
    V2 Vice Stainless Limited Edition

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a couple of automatics, but the G's and my Pathfinder have really grown on me. I have that same Mudman BTW and it's a great watch.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
    Curious if others collect only Automatics, but make an exception for G-Shocks?
    well, about six years or so ago, i got into g-shock's after wearing strictly automatic watches (sinn, tag-heuer) many years before. it started with an ana-digi (G-100) and not too much later, i thought an all-digital might be the way to go (G-2300). what followed were lots of digitals, four or five more ana-digi's, lots of protreks (ABC's), jumped on the hype wagon for atomic/solars, and last year an all-analog (GW-2000).

finally i realized that i'm done with casio analogs, ana-digis and protreks, as well as with solar powered watches. i realized that a simple three hands analog watch is for me the best way, preferable a mechanical one. i also found my perfect ABC watch in another brand. as for the future - i will only buy all-digital, non-solar g-shock's, but nothing new on the horizon yet, because i already got the three best for my taste.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

I agree. I have Seiko auto and kinetic divers, but G shocks give me the same quality and tool-like feel.
    Cal.45, I've read your thoughts on solar before. In fact, I've got a GLX 5600 on it's way because of you! I guess I feel the same about babysitting solar and the reduced features because of it. I've yet to change a battery in a G shock, so my opinion may change after that! Any more thoughts on staying non-solar?
    Thanks,
    Brian

I'm selling my auto's except for my Vostok..I just never got use to setting the time every week or two.. I guess I'm more of a gadget guy..

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    well, about six years or so ago, i got into g-shock's after wearing strictly automatic watches (sinn, tag-heuer) many years before. it started with an ana-digi (G-100) and not too much later, i thought an all-digital might be the way to go (G-2300). what followed were lots of digitals, four or five more ana-digi's, lots of protreks (ABC's), jumped on the hype wagon for atomic/solars, and last year an all-analog (GW-2000).

finally i realized that i'm done with casio analogs, ana-digis and protreks, as well as with solar powered watches. i realized that a simple three hands analog watch is for me the best way, preferable a mechanical one. i also found my perfect ABC watch in another brand. as for the future - i will only buy all-digital, non-solar g-shock's, but nothing new on the horizon yet, because i already got the three best for my taste.

cheers

What brand would that be Cal. 45? I'm looking into the ABC line and

just wanted to learn as much as I could before deciding on which one

to go for.
    best regards,

Kirk M.

GWF-1000-1JF
    GDF-100
    GW-9110-1JF
    GW-9400BJ-1JF
    GD-350-1JF
    G-700D
    DW-9052
    DW-9500
    DW-5900
    DW-7400

I LOVE autos... especially divers. I have a box full of Tissot, Seiko, Citizen, Hamilton... etc. But I always come back to the G. :) cant beat em... might as well join us! :)

Built like a tank, totally functional, easy to understand, built like a tank, lots of models to choose from, plenty of high tech geeky goodness and built like a tank. Whats not to love?

I too have been on a digital streak now for months. I havent wound an auto in a long while. Hard to when I have 2 other boxes full of G Shocks (and Suuntos and Timex). :)

I say why discriminate! Welcome to the dark side!
    Last edited by Jeff_C; June 17th, 2010 at 20:38.
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Banned

I'm quite non-dogmatic in my watch choice. First watch ever was a Kienzle handwind. Than various digital watches. First watch from my own money was actually the first DW5000 in 1983. Wish I still had that. The watch has to fit the occasion and my taste and budget, otherwise I don't care if it's mechanical or quartz. I can appreciate them for what they are. In that sense I like to collect different "drive" methods and movements. Normal quartz, super quartz (still holding out for one), kinetic, auto, handwind, solar etc.

Till

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information