G-Shock as a Fashion Statement?

Thread: G-Shock as a Fashion Statement?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

G-Shock as a Fashion Statement?

As far as it's clearly shown in Asia, models such as the DW-5600 and DW-6900 have been widely collaborated with various fashion houses e.g. Bape, Mastermind, United Arrow and NY street brand DQM, as well as some non-collaborated limited editions. There is a significantly noticeable presence of G-Shock as a fashion statement in Japan, HK, Taiwan and even here in Singapore. How about in U.S. and Europe?

I've noticed that majority of the G-Shock collectors are into the Master of G models, as well as great collections of vintages. I have a question on your choices of your G collections...

Which is your #1 favorite G and why?
    Is it mainly on the functionality, collectible values, or do you simply like how they look on you (ie. your 'fashion statement'... your style?)

I'm just curious what kind of G collectors there are here at WUS. Share your views :D

Re: G-Shock as a Fashion Statement?

I think, in it's most popular form, it's a "street culture" fashion statement over here.

Being a nerd they appeal to my inner need for gadgets. Now...yes I would say they are considered "fashion statements" but you won't find me buying a $500 "fashion" version of a $60 dollar watch
    Not as clumsy or as random as a cell phone. An elegant timepiece for a more civilized time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by craig0ry View Post
    I think, in it's most popular form, it's a "street culture" fashion statement over here.
    So it's in the street culture there too? Out of curiousity, craig0ry... which street fashion dominates the G-culture? The skaters? Blink-blink gangsters? Tattooed bikers/rockers?

G-Shock is definitely not Bling-Bling Gangsta wear.

Maybe it doesn't fall into other categories of street culture - maybe it's its own category.

Good question. I was born and lived 22 years in the UK, now I have live in Germany (on and off) for around 2 years. So I speak from a mainly youth's perspective, and, in any case, I think Gs are more a youth thing - i.e. under 30s.

I can imagine that in the U.S./Japan Gs are more for fashion, party in the youth and probably due to the marketing Casio has pushed - i.e. using opinion leaders to promote Gs (pop start such as P Diddy, NERD etc.). Particularly evident is the white version of the G. It is clear Casio wants to appeal to young, hip-hoppers, youth, youth culture etc. Note: funny how some of these hip hop stars went from owning the most expensive blinged out Breitlings to a 40 dollar G-Shock - funny how companies, a few million dollars and marketing works, eh ? Well we have the same cultural and musical influences (MTV generation) but somehow youth have not adopted Gs.

In these two countries I have lived in Gs have not taken off so much with the youth - this could change depending on Casio’s marketing though. Sure I see now and again the odd G-Shock, but they are not a fashion trend at all and I think they are bought more at the point-of-sale without much previous inclination about preference. In terms of youth and watches here, no one really knows anything or cares so much about watches. I think youth here (and I can speak more from the youth (18-26), as I am still a kinda young guy) go more for the fashion, "cheap" watches like Fossil, Diesel etc. and go more on appearance. In this respect I see quite a few larger watches (still seem quite "in" at the moment), some with fake bling like glass beads or something, square and other popularist designs. In conclusion, not much brand loyalty and watches are probably bought as generalist short-term fashion accessories.

Gs do not play a massive role, and, to be honest I have never even seen (or even remember seeing) a Casio or G-Shock advertisement in my life. Casio were always just taken for granted as making great digital watches and Gs were the standard for shock resistance. Maybe this has changed since I stopped watching T.V. though...

Hope this helps, interested to hearing more.
    Last edited by Claud; April 19th, 2009 at 12:42.

I definitely see a lot more rappers with G-Shocks than anyone else. It's definitely more popular in the hip hop crowd.

Very interesting insight on G's in the European fashion scene, Claud. I'm surprised the G's did not quite get the exposure/acceptance in that region. Being an avid fan of the global street fashion, I've been wishing I was in Paris sometimes... they've got many of my wish-listed collaborated G's at a street-fashion boutique called Colette. I've thought G's should be quite popular on the street.

The rappers dominate the G-scene in Chicago, Craig0ry? That's interesting... As opposed to the bling-bling hiphop culture, the rappers are down-to-earth with their G's? Or perhaps it's the tough image of the brand that got to them... I wonder.

I know I may not speak for all G collectors in this region, but I must say that among peers who share my graffiti-art/street-fashion enthusiasm, the G's share equal wrist-time with high-end brands e.g. Rolex, Panerai, B&R... It's not the value of the watch that we look at, but the image of G's as street-cool vintage brand.

I definitely use my red GLX5600 as a fashion-statement. With the same intentions I also purchased a white GLX5600 last week.

Quote Originally Posted by seraphe View Post
    So it's in the street culture there too? Out of curiousity, craig0ry... which street fashion dominates the G-culture? The skaters? Blink-blink gangsters? Tattooed bikers/rockers?
    take a look at the G-shock website (www.gshock.com) and you will know exactly the type of "street culture" that G shocks are being marketed towards. Not bling bling gangstas, but definitely hip hop culture.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information