G-Shock Frogman and Mudman - can you use pushers underwater?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: G-Shock Frogman and Mudman - can you use pushers underwater?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-Shock Frogman and Mudman - can you use pushers underwater?

Hello!
    First post to the forum - I am interested in purchasing a G-shock for scuba diving. The Frogman is the obvious choice, but I think the Mudman would do as well (and the prices for the used watches are cheaper). One important question I have about both watches is whether the functions/pushers are safe to operate underwater. I specifically would want to use the timer and the light functions. Would appreciate any thoughts the forum may have about the functions/pushers, and about which to purchase. Thank you!
    - Dawg182

Re: G-Shock Frogman and Mudman - can you use pushers underwater?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg182 View Post
    Hello!
    First post to the forum - I am interested in purchasing a G-shock for scuba diving. The Frogman is the obvious choice, but I think the Mudman would do as well (and the prices for the used watches are cheaper). One important question I have about both watches is whether the functions/pushers are safe to operate underwater. I specifically would want to use the timer and the light functions. Would appreciate any thoughts the forum may have about the functions/pushers, and about which to purchase. Thank you!
    - Dawg182
    Yes...it is safe to operate those buttons underwater. The manual says any G-shock rated over 200 meters can do that so you should be fine with the Mudman and Frogman.

Cheers!
    Sub4

Terrific! Thank you Sub4!
    - Dawg182

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One tip would be to use the Auto EL feature when you're under water, so you'll have one less button to push; it's not really a matter of affecting water resistance, just convenience on your part, since the Mudman's buttons take a bit of effort to press.

Why not consider a Gulfman instead? Its titanium construction makes it better equipped to withstand saltwater corrosion (and the buttons are far easier to push than on the Mudman, whether you're underwater or topside).
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 24th, 2009 at 14:55.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    One tip would be to use the Auto EL feature when you're under water, so you'll have one less button to push; it's not really a matter of affecting water resistance, just convenience on your part, since the Mudman's buttons take a bit of effort to press.

Why not consider a Gulfman instead? Its titanium construction makes it better equipped to withstand saltwater corrosion (and the buttons are far easier to push than on the Mudman, whether you're underwater or topside).
    Doesn't he have the Ti covered with the Frogman
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by natornate View Post
    Doesn't he have the Ti covered with the Frogman
    Yes, but the OP was considering the Mudman due to price considerations. So in this context, the Gulfman would be a step up from the Mudman, while still being more affordable than the Frogman.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 24th, 2009 at 17:04.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Unfortunately, price is a consideration so I will check out the Gulfman. Titanium and pusher ease are great considerations that I did not factor. Thanks for all the help!
    - Dawg182

Quote Originally Posted by Sub4 View Post
    Yes...it is safe to operate those buttons underwater. The manual says any G-shock rated over 200 meters can do that so you should be fine with the Mudman and Frogman.

Cheers!
    Sub4
    I would say a big fat NO! The mudman outer casing is not waterproof and the basic metal pushers are not designed to be pressed underwater as it breaks the seal as far as I understand. Unless someone can inform me otherwise. You can get away with it, but I would avoid it. Can't speak for the Frogman however.

Pressing the buttons underwater is fine. Casio used to say as much in the manuals. The wording has been changed, but only because Casio has become ultra-cautious for fear of litigation if people don't maintain the seals or a particular example is faulty.

Ordinary G-Shocks are used as diving watches by military divers, and I'm sure they press their buttons from time to time.
    Izzy_Does_It likes this.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Yes, but the OP was considering the Mudman due to price considerations. So in this context, the Gulfman would be a step up from the Mudman, while still being more affordable than the Frogman.
    Agreed, I must have missed that parameter.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information