G-Shock G-3010 -- just replaced battery; time shows, but no buttons work

Thread: G-Shock G-3010 -- just replaced battery; time shows, but no buttons work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Confused G-Shock G-3010 -- just replaced battery; time shows, but no buttons work

I bought this watch used from a seller on "that auction site." The watch looks to be near mint. The battery was totally dead. The owner said it worked fine for years, then the battery ran down and he didn't bother to replace it. Given the visible condition, I figured it a worthwhile buy.

Well, I replaced the CR2016 battery and saw the display come to life. The watch was keeping time, seconds ticking away. I assembled it back together in the reverse order of how I took it apart. Then I went to operate the buttons--NOTHING. Not even illumination. I figured OK, I didn't do the AC circuit short, so maybe I need to do that. I disassembled the watch again and shorted it using the AC touch circuit. It did reset, plus I saw the illumination activate momentarily. I then tried pressing buttons and nothing worked. No mode change, no set mode. I then figured that maybe I need to put the case back on and insert the primary screws. I did that but... no luck. Still, the buttons are non functional.

Now, I need to explain that I did NOT remove the module. I also made very sure that nothing fell out. The little alarm screw is in place. So, I'm stumped. Aren't these things work or not-work? If I have a display, shouldn't I be able to operate buttons? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the owner tried replacing the battery, ran into this problem, then just put the old battery back in and sealed it back up, and then lied about it. Or, what I'm more hopeful for, is that this problem has come up before and a solution found. I did search around to see if I could find something, but didn't turn up anything except tutorials on changing batteries.

Anybody have any info on this? If you have a link to a thread that addresses this, please post. THANKS!
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: G-Shock G-3010 -- just replaced battery; time shows, but no buttons work

Sorry, doesn't look good. In fact it looks as though the seller sold a watch he should have put in the bin.

Maybe someone else will have a more positive view, but that's the way I see it.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Well, I took the back off and tried to see if there were any alignment problems. I'm not familiar with the G-Shock internals, so I don't know what to look for. However, I did notice that when I reseated the case back, squeezing the area near the illumination button would cause it to illuminate. Should it be possible to operate the functions with the module completely removed? At least if that's possible, then I should be able to narrow the problem down.

Again, has anyone ever seen a G-Shock module have all inputs no longer work, yet the module still keep time? If this is something that has never been reported before, then I have to believe the module still works and that there's some issue with how the previous person seated it back inside the watch.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd also think that it has to do with how the module is placed in the case. It's hard to believe that all buttons fail at once for some technical reason concerning the electronics. If the light still works. I did a battery change once on a G-3011 but I don't know if the pictures help that I took. This is how it's supposed to look:

I think the button shafts simply press down those metal clips you can see. Maybe you should open the watch again (don't lose any of those tiny screws) and press the buttons with the back open and see what happens with the module and if those buttons shafts push the metal "tongues" inside.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Ensure that the module and push buttons are properly seated. It doesn't take much to render the buttons FSU (useless).

Thanks Sedi and Gator, for the advice. Mine looks pretty much the way you've shown yours, Sedi, except for one thing: I didn't remove any of the straps. I see you've got one removed in yours. I had flexed one of the straps outward to free the case back... maybe that upset the module alignment, as the casing is made of a flexible material. Also... I see there are some black screws tucked in the case sides. One set has some of the black coating partly scraped off. So, someone must have changed the battery at some point. Would it be a good idea to remove one of the straps, extract the module, then reseat it?

I think realigning the module is a good idea.
    Try to seat the module fully while you bend the springs actuated by the buttons with a pin or something.
    you can also check if the functions work by doing so, when yozu push the springs to the module case, the mode should switch and so on, depending on what button you push.

The module seems really tightly seated in the casing. What's the best way to remove it with minimal risk/damage? I haven't found any tips yet on how to do this, only Sjors' battery change tutorial.

I would rather e-seat the module than remove it, as i do not know how tightly packed the 3010 cas is.

Well, there's definitely some kind of module alignment issue. If squeezing the lower part of the watch (not the button) activates the illumination, something is definitely not right. I'd prefer to extract the module and examine it for any bent contacts. Does anyone know of a forum posting, blog, or writeup somewhere that describes module extraction? Just as Sjors pointed out the need to release that small catch on the battery clamp, I have to believe that there's a "proper" way to remove the module. At the moment, it's not looking intuitive to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information