G-Shock GA-100 1A1 opinions?
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: G-Shock GA-100 1A1 opinions?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question G-Shock GA-100 1A1 opinions?

Hello, members. I am new to this forum. I am one of those guys, who always breaks their watches. I just broke my 2nd watch this year, so I decided to go for a Gshock. The one I like is the Ga100. I like the look of it, the functions and the fact that it has analog and digital timekeeping, but I'm no expert. Is this watch good and durable? I need opinions on it. Is it good for a first time Gshock owner? Thanks.

Re: G-Shock GA-100 1A1 opinions?

I think the GA-100-1A1 is a good looking and durable watch. Just be aware that the negative LCDs are hard to read in many types of light.

I have a GA-100SD-8A, which has easier-to-read positive LCDs. I find that it fits better on my flat wrists than some of my other Gs. The GD-100 and GD-120 use the same type of bezel and strap, so they fit the same as the GA-100.

Name:  GA-100SD-8A (P6030354).JPG
Views: 621
Size:  1.32 MB

Tomi, let us know if you break the G!
    MainePorsche likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One more thing. The illumination on the GA-100 models is for the analog dial only. There are no lights for the LCDs.

Here's a post about the negative LCD readability, with pics.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/how...l#post40676010

There is no sweep second hand and the analog hands are too short, IMHO, there are better G-Shocks.
    MainePorsche likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    There is no sweep second hand and the analog hands are too short, IMHO, there are better G-Shocks.
    I agree, but are there any G-Shock ana-digis for $65 that are better in this regard? Most of them seem to have short hands and no sweep second hand.
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

It is the watch that enticed me to consider a G Shock. By definition alone a G Shock is about the only watch made that is considered highly shock resistant and which is affordable. As a class they put most others to shame.

I looked thru the models offered, and the decision to use a negative display or not is up to the buyer. There are a lot of posters who remark the negative display can't be seen in dim light - but never tell us just exactly why they would try to do so in the dark.

Aside from that, the one issue I had with the GA series is focused on the hands and markers. I prefer indices around the dial which are dominant and stand out - possibly because I've been wearing a Seiko Orange Monster for some time. Large luminous markers are easy to see. Secondly, the selection of hands used are what I consider to be less than optimal - they are usually shorter than "normal" for an analog watch and the highly styled tails overlap in some positions. There isn't much in the way of the digital display but it makes the center of the watch less defined to determine their position.

Having a positive display does make it more easy to read them but heightens the contrast in the background and makes the hands and markers less legible. Keep in mind this is all a matter of degree, not necessarily major issues. It's entirely up to the buyer/owner to assess and prioritize. Plenty of people buy them both positive and negative.

I looked for something even more legible and went with the GAX 100 series in black. It adds a tide/moon and temp feature which I was looking forward to using on a trip to the coast, plus the dial is highly contrasting with the negative display and very much in the Dive watch motif. I have a Casio compass digital watch which is nice, but a lower angles the digits are lost due to the polarizing fields characteristics. The analog watches can be much more legible at those low angles which can be an advantage.

It's entirely a matter of what you want - I was looking over the GA 100 and there are models which I found suitable. Looking for it on the internet is what led me to the GAX, tho - scanning a screen full of scrolling images it pops out with the time better, to me. I find it easier to read. That was my priority, but it in no way means it's a priority for all.

Enjoy the search it's always a fun pursuit choosing. And, by the way, there is now a new model out, the GA 800, which only adds to the opportunities.
    MainePorsche likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tirod3 View Post
    There are a lot of posters who remark the negative display can't be seen in dim light - but never tell us just exactly why they would try to do so in the dark.
    Ships at sea are piloted 24/7 and in the darkened bridge at night, it is imperative that the sailor's wristwatch be visible to him in the dark. I must check my watch, while working, dozens of times per hour for all kinds of reasons.

Last edited by yankeexpress; August 7th, 2017 at 04:27.
    Steelerswit, SunnyDaze and GaryK30 like this.

I like the GA100 series, but find negative displays while having a "cool" factor, are hard to see. I went with the GA100CF-8A.

Name:  casio ga100cf-8a.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  254.2 KB
    GaryK30 and kcohS-G like this.
    EXCALIBUR1

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information