G-Shock Glide info
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By GaryK30
  • 3 Post By d2mac
  • 1 Post By tirod3
  • 1 Post By Cobia

Thread: G-Shock Glide info

Lightbulb G-Shock Glide info

Hi there everyone, First time poster and new to the forum. Im looking into getting a G-lide watch but I have a few questions that i couldn't find any answers to. Firstly i heard that the tide face is not accurate in all areas. I live in Sydney and was wondering if it works or not here as its the main reason im looking to buy it. I was also wondering where the thermometer on the watch was. One other thing i was wondering is the difference between all the GAX-100 watches.

Re: G-Shock Glide info

Hi Gio. Welcome to the Forum. You will probably get more responses if you post your question on the Casio G Shock subforum.
    Kevin

In general, the Casio tide graph algorithm works okay in areas that have semidiurnal tides, but not in areas that have diurnal or mixed tides.

According to the map linked below and a tide chart that I found online, it appears that Sydney has semidiurnal tides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide#/..._types_map.jpg

The thermometer on Casios is usually on the outer part of the case, under the bezel. I'm not sure where it is on the GAX-100. For use in air, you have to remove the watch for 15-30 minutes to get an accurate reading. If it's in water while on the wrist, it will probably be a bit more accurate but will still be somewhat influenced by body heat.

There are some people on this forum that own the GAX-100, and they seem to like them.
    Last edited by GaryK30; August 25th, 2017 at 09:13.
    domoon likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moved to the G-Shock forum. The good folk here will hopefully be able to help.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Moderator G-Shock Forum

I own the GAX-100.
    For the area i can see (North sea) the tide display is "astrological" OK.

BUT: there is an influence of wind to the tide here that the watch cannot predict.

The thermometer is as already mentioned useless on the wrist (common with ALL wristwatch thermometers) since its more measuring the skin temp then the environment.

The different GAX models are just variations in color.
    Choose as you like, the functionality is always the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GaryK30, kubr1ck and domoon like this.
    You see no pictures in my post?
    Photobucket decided to lock my pics behind a 40$/month prescription service.
    I used their services since 2009 so the most of my old threads have Photobucket pics inside.
    If you stumble across one of those threads and want to see the pic, PM me and i will re-attach it.
    What can we learn from all the lost information?
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

I have a GAX, too.

The short answer is that it's a more than just diurnal or not. Other things influence tide, too, such as the shape of the coastline - on a peninsula or barrier island you will get the normal tidal action on the seaward facing beaches, on the bay behind it there could be a delay of several hours to see the water level rise - it has to flow and fill it to do so first.

Another issue is that while the moon does move the water around the globe pulling it toward the lines of gravity it also creates an oscillation doing so - and those large standing movements can have harmonics which are why they can combine or cancel each other. And ocean currents can affect it, too by delaying or accelerating the peak.

Add the surge of a hurricane - Harvey is now going ashore with over 135mph winds near Corpus Christi, and you get the wall of water being pushed outward from the center. It's predicted to have a 12 foot surge - at high tide. However, it could have happened at low tide, in that area it amounts to about a foot from high to low, so the tide itself is about 1/12 of the total. It's an incremental difference.

As just one feature of a watch, what I have found is that it's piqued my curiousity about tides and I've been studying them a lot more to understand them.

As for the rest of the watch, it's got the clearest Dive style motif I have seen in G Shocks - you can pick it out surfing images on the web faster than almost any other model. The hands are big and distinctive with no confusing tails which cover too much of the digital displays, something I think the GA series isn't as good at. It's definitely more functional than decorative.

In Black. Now, the other colorways are where a lot of compromises crop up, I suspect one or two are nearly impossible to read to the red/green color blind. It would appear in shades of grey and very indistinct. Some of those models are visually exciting, and the gels with nearly clear straps are attractive. Just keep in mind those special editions do one thing best - justify a higher price, nearly 80% more.

The cynically frugal part of me thinks that is a bit too much.

The watch is comfortable, takes getting bumped with no drama, and will keep accurate time. Mine has gained about one second in the last three weeks. My best Dive style watch with Seiko movement was gaining one minute week and just got tired of the adjustments.

I got the negative display with amber LED. The watch is easily read in the dark, the digital parts of course, are not. I can see them in most other light - such as a living room with just two lamps on. I tilt it to reflect the ambient light and it's quite visible. In much darker circumstances some question it's usefulness but I have to ask can you see what's going on at all? There is a limit to practical use, and there is also what I call the holiday tree affect - some people like having brightly colored lights on their wrist. This isn't that watch, sorry, others do that job. I have Timexes for that.

The day date works, moon phase is spot on and can be switched from negative to positive. There are more functions which frankly, a lot of G Shock owners don't use frequently. They are nice to have. As for the tidal display, don't be discouraged. It can be adjusted to be accurate - for about a week. Then it will need adjustment again, just like an automatic which gains 60 seconds every seven days. It's less the watch in one sense as much as the tides themselves - they aren't as well regulated as the watch is, because they are naturally occurring and influenced by more than just the moon. If it's critical that the tide function always be spot on, there are two solutions - an app on a smart phone, or a Rip Curl with that location specifically programmed. The former can't be used in the surf, and the latter only has a small number of beaches its equipped to display (some are in Australia.)

As for accuracy most tidal charts use the typical weasel wording that state they are not suitable for navigation. You can apparently use them for fishing pretty well, tho. I'm enjoying my watch for exactly what it is, and for the most part now can rely on it to tell the time first, day date, and moon phase accurately. Tides? Good luck with that, it turns out they weren't quite what I was taught in grade school. Much the same as the information I was given about the opposite sex.

When you get to know them then you might be able to predict something with more than 50% accuracy.
    Last edited by tirod3; August 26th, 2017 at 16:32.
    domoon likes this.

@tirod3

Sydney appears to have a beautiful semidiurnal pattern, giving a Casio tide watch a good chance of working properly.

Reversing the moon phase graphic is for viewing from the southern hemisphere. It's not changing it from negative to positive. It's really turning it upside down.

I did a quick tide check by setting my Gulfman GW-9110-1 home city to SYD.

Here's a sample tide table:

Name:  Sydney tide table 8-26-17 to 8-28-17.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  36.7 KB

Tide times and charts for Sydney, New South Wales and weather forecast for fishing in Sydney in 2017

On 8/26, the table says the first high tide is at 11:25 AM. The Gulfman says 11:43 AM.

On 8/28, the table says the first high tide is at 12:20 AM. The Gulfman says 12:49 AM.

Not a scientific study by any means, but at least the watch is in the ballpark on these two random days.

The GAX-100 uses the same tide algorithm as the GW-9110, as far as I know. If the watch is always a bit later than the actual tide time, this can be corrected by adjusting the first high tide time in the watch.

Yes, the correction is written up in the module guidebook (owner's manual.)

One of the difficulties with tides is that the moon moves, therefore the exposure to the gravitational pull as it circles the earth changes it's intervals. That creates a moving target of when high and low tides occur. If it was stationary then only the earths spin on the axis would be involved.

Things like this are why sometimes my head hurts trying to see it in motion. Anyway, because the moon is moving, the earth gets back to where it's high in the sky a different time each day, and this walks it around the clock. That also keeps shifting the tides around the clock, too. A 20 minute error in time out of 12 hours or so doesn't sound like much, add in that a lot of tides are less than dramatic in changing their height. Along the Gulf Coast it's less than 1 1/2 feet, which means we'd be trying to spot a difference of fractions of an inch in maximum height. Along the slope of a beach, it then depends on that, too - the less angled the more noticeable as it reaches inland more.

I can see someone needing very timely accuracy in some place like the Bay of Fundy, which changes 16.3 meters. You need to know exactly when to get out of low lying areas there. On the other hand, with a tide of about a foot, meh. It then goes to what the slope was to see a significant difference. If just beach combing for shells, a 20 minute difference daily could be equaled by being held up in traffic, a phone call from family, etc.

I find the contrast of humans attempting to be exactingly precise in measuring time, and then, the reality of a set of geophysical features interacting with astrological forces and just doing what it's going to do, regardless of our attempts to measure it. Take it like some do during a hard day - it's high tide (5:00) somewhere. Time to enjoy the view.
    Last edited by tirod3; August 27th, 2017 at 05:52.

Hi mate, i live in Sydney, have a frogman and protrek that both have tides, they work perfectly in Sydney and are right in sync, so yes, casio tide watches work well in sydney.
    GaryK30 likes this.

Thread Information