WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

G-Shock Gulfmaster GWN-1000: first photos in person

33K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  burns78 
#1 ·
Hi, pals,

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but ZonaCasio (Zona Casio) has published photos of Gulfmaster.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

First impression? I like it A LOT.

Here's some more stuff:

Vehicle Games

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Product Watch Font

Fashion accessory Auto part Metal

Full article (in spanish) here.

I need an ABC G-Shock badly, but Rangeman and Gulfmaster are too pricey, and since I lost my job I am totally broken. :(

Cheers,

G.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for sharing :)

The Gulfmaster is still looking bit on the busy side for me (I think it's the very prominent numbers splashed all over the bezel), but I'd be interested to see it in action with all its sensors. By the looks of the parts I'd expect it to have that 'premium quality' feel to it just like the Rangeman... The other thing is I'm not convinced that metal keepers is the way to go - I'd like to see more CF style keepers :)

#8 ·
I am still neutral on the overall design but I won't be surprised if Casio has made a deliberate attempt to make the Gulfmaster GWN-1000 as 'tool-like' as possible.

Having said that, it seems to me the 4 back screws are too concentrated along the vertical (12 o'clock to 6 o'clock) axis and MAY negatively impact the water resistance at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Does anyone else feel the same?

#11 ·
Having said that, it seems to me the 4 back screws are too concentrated along the vertical (12 o'clock to 6 o'clock) axis and MAY negatively impact the water resistance at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Does anyone else feel the same?
While I absolutely see you concern I highly doubt it as this watch is 20bar certified/pressure tested. Now, maybe it can't go much higher than that like many G-shocks, but it will do minimum 200 meters.

#12 ·
Oh, you are right. :)

I agree that the dial is too busy, but I like its looks. Specially the blue one.

And I love the idea of an ana-digi G-shock with ABC feaures.

Cheers,

G.

#17 ·
I don't like this design. The Rangeman, by comparison, was pretty well-designed. This reminds me of one Breitling's busier models. The blue one appears a little too plasticky -- almost counterfeit-like in finish -- looking. A matte finish would have suited it better.

#18 ·
I'm very interested in this Gulfmaster! It checks a lot of the marks for me. I was nearing purchase of a green Aviator GWA-1100 for the analog style and compass, but with this Gulfmaster packing ABC + tides + dual LEDs for both LCD and analog hands, I'm going to wait for a Gulfmaster July/August!

Also awaiting the critical reviews of members of the forum! Your collective discussions and comments and real life pics/experiences are highly valued! Thank you in advance.

The blue bezel color way is my favorite so far. Hoping for a module setup, even though we know the countdown timer is compromised to 60minutes. Wonder also if the LCD matrix display shows barometer / altitude / tide trends.

As we wait for the release of the module 5371 manual....

Aloha,
James

Reactions: Chrisek
#22 · (Edited)

i have two other casio aviators and love this one for ease of use.

the big crown in addition to the traditional 4 buttons takes some getting used to, but its definitely easier to adjust via turning the knob as compared to pressing buttons/counting beeps.

for instance the experience of using the GMT function is akin to scrolling through a list of countries - forwards and backwards.

Also the all too familiar feeling of (a) unscrew to unlock the crown; and (b) pull to a click to adjust - all too familiar to the analog user.

The single larger LCD panel is definitely the big win here compared to the two smaller screens on my other g-shock aviator.

In the pic below you can see that the date digits are 3-4 times bigger and this works very well on the negative display, especially with the fatter font allowing more light in for a higher contrast.

Here's both of them side by side:

Two gripes:
1. the keeper doesn't keep down the lose end of the strap sufficiently. could be due to the new softer strap or the metal keeper or both.
2. while the back case is nicely etched, i get the feeling there's some moisture trapped in the etched rings. maybe its just about getting used to a different backcase.

#23 ·
Metalgear, I share the same gripe about the keeper strap. I have the same watch as you above (GWN-1000B-1B) and the buckle/tang (presumably the keeper and strap as well) is made in Thailand. The strap is thinner and softer and the metal parts are thinner than on my GWN-1000C-1A which has a Casio Japan buckle/tang. Having said that, the Japan made keeper also struggles to hold down the strap although it does a slightly better job than the Thailand one.
Interested to know if you also have the Casio Thailand stamp on your buckle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.