• 1 Post By JustAbe
  • 2 Post By GFSEA86
  • 1 Post By NC_Hager626
  • 1 Post By Steelerswit
  • 1 Post By Dan GSR

Thread: G Shock GW-225E 25th Anniversary - Freshened Up

Irf

G Shock GW-225E 25th Anniversary - Freshened Up

I bought this online from a trusted seller through the Shopee app (similar to our eBay and Gumtree in the UK) for a really good price the other week. It was listed as used but the watch and box looked new apart from the discoloured jelly that had gone yellow over a decade.

I looked online and bought a new rubber bezel and straps from seller on eBay located in Manchester and within a week they had arrived in Thailand.

So I took the opportunity to take a few photos to show just how bad the discolouration is (some call it patina but personally I’m not a fan):

Here’s the watch untouched:

Here’s a comparison with the ICERC Frogman and the transparent jelly in comparison to the 25th anniversary frosted jelly. Surprising what a decade brings in improvements to technology and materials:

Replacement parts (yellow tint due to desk):

Dismantled the parts. Springbar under each strap and four screws for the bezel. There was no dirt around the case which surprised me. This could have passed for an unworn watch:

Old vs new jelly:

An opportunity to take a look at the 2422 module on its own (note some clouding around the edges):

Bezel fitted and test screen activated:

End results:

I’m glad I ordered the replacement jelly as it freshens up a ten year old watch. Tempted to dye the discoloured jelly but still deciding on a colour that will complement the gold case. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Irf; 1 Week Ago at 12:39.
    Omega: PO9300 / Speedmaster 50th LE / DSoM / GSoM / Speedmaster Moonphase / PloProf
    Breitling: Navitimer B01
    Rolex: Deepsea / SD4000 / DaytonaC
    Zenith: Stratos Flyback Striking 10 / El Primero Moonphase
    Perrelet: Turbine Pilot XL
    Blancpain: Bathyscape
    Deitrich: OT-4
    Seiko: Emperor Tuna
    Casio: GWF-1000 / Casio GW-1000 / Casio MTG-S1030

Re: G Shock GW-225E 25th Anniversary - Freshened Up

Quote Originally Posted by Irf View Post
    I bought this online from a trusted seller through the Shopee app (similar to our eBay and Gumtree in the UK) for a really good price the other week. It was listed as used but the watch and box looked new apart from the discoloured jelly that had gone yellow over a decade.

I looked online and bought a new rubber bezel and straps from seller on eBay located in Manchester and within a week they had arrived in Thailand.

So I took the opportunity to take a few photos to show just how bad the discolouration is (some call it patina but personally Iím not a fan):

Hereís the watch untouched:

Hereís a comparison with the ICERC Frogman and the transparent jelly in comparison to the 25th anniversary frosted jelly. Surprising what a decade brings in improvements to technology and materials:

Replacement parts (yellow tint due to desk):

Dismantled the parts. Springbar under each strap and four screws for the bezel. There was no dirt around the case which surprised me. This could have passed for an unworn watch:

Old vs new jelly:

An opportunity to take a look at the 2422 module on its own (note some clouding around the edges):

Bezel fitted and test screen activated:

End results:

Iím glad I ordered the replacement jelly as it freshens up a ten year old watch. Tempted to dye the discoloured jelly but still deciding on a colour that will complement the gold case. Any suggestions?
    Color it green!

Great Pics @Irf!! Love the transformation, I would do Royal Blue Metallic!!!
    Irf likes this.
    One man's collector is another woman's hoarder

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Donít color it at all. Itís the original. Just put it in a ziplock bag and store it with your other watch parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Irf and Ryanjeepguy like this.

Irf

Quote Originally Posted by Fujoor View Post
    Color it green!
    What shade? Like the Kermit Frogman?

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbe View Post
    Great Pics @Irf!! Love the transformation, I would do Royal Blue Metallic!!!
    The problem with Dylon etc are that the shades can be hit and miss depending on the material and how bad the yellowing has already set in. I do like a brighter blue Frogman though and it would go well with the Gold module.

Quote Originally Posted by GFSEA86 View Post
    Donít color it at all. Itís the original. Just put it in a ziplock bag and store it with your other watch parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The replacement bands are already originals and Iím sure over time they will also turn yellow lol. Not that any of my watches are for sale. It even if this one was I donít think having the original yellow band would add any value over the replacement ones that look clear and fresh.
    Omega: PO9300 / Speedmaster 50th LE / DSoM / GSoM / Speedmaster Moonphase / PloProf
    Breitling: Navitimer B01
    Rolex: Deepsea / SD4000 / DaytonaC
    Zenith: Stratos Flyback Striking 10 / El Primero Moonphase
    Perrelet: Turbine Pilot XL
    Blancpain: Bathyscape
    Deitrich: OT-4
    Seiko: Emperor Tuna
    Casio: GWF-1000 / Casio GW-1000 / Casio MTG-S1030

A great restoration of swapping out the discoloured bands and bezel casing. I would not colour it for the watch looks fantastic as is.
    Irf likes this.

Looks great, just got 1 as well. It came with 2 new black band and bezel sets and gold screw set. Wear it proudly.

Now you need one of these for the SO.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Irf likes this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

Id dye it blue
    Irf likes this.

Thread Information