G Shock GW2300
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: G Shock GW2300

G Shock GW2300

Hey all,

I've got a great 2300 atomic/solar. When I first received it, it was on "mid" level charge. I've spent almost all my time out in the sun since (nearly a month), but it has yet to bump to "high".

Any ideas why? How do I fix it if its a problem?

Thanks,
    Ethan

"He's just a witness"

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Re: G Shock GW2300

I tried charging my Mudman by being out in the sun all day and it remained on Medium. I left it on a windowsill in direct sunlight for an hour and it's now on full and staying that way. See if that helps.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    I tried charging my Mudman by being out in the sun all day and it remained on Medium. I left it on a windowsill in direct sunlight for an hour and it's now on full and staying that way. See if that helps.
    Just to clarify, the difference was that it was through a window?

"He's just a witness"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    Just to clarify, the difference was that it was through a window?

"He's just a witness"
    Yes. In my experience, solar G-shocks charge better when placed in direct sunlight, a window or outside for that matter, for about an hour without moving the watch.

My theory -- backed with no scientific evidence -- is that the watch can charge on the wrist, but it'll take much longer because wrist movement makes it difficult for the solar panel to receive light.

If it's really hot outside, you can put the watch in a glass of water to prevent overheating. G-shocks do overheat when exposed to direct light for prolonged periods of time. The LCD's black out but usually there's no permanent damage.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; May 28th, 2014 at 16:29.

Otto

Yes. In my experience, solar G-shocks charge better when placed in direct sunlight, a window or outside for that matter, for about an hour without moving the watch.

My theory -- backed with no scientific evidence -- is that the watch can charge on the wrist, but it'll take much longer because wrist movement makes it difficult for the solar panel to receive light.
    I'll try it. Thank you.

"He's just a witness"

You're welcome. Please update us. It could be a battery issue or some other defect.

If it does charge to high, you probably won't have to worry about charging it on the windowsill for a while unless you're using the back light a lot. My other solar G, a GW-5000, has sustained itself through ambient light, remaining at "High" for months, so once it hits high you won't have to worry for a while. Just give it the windowsill treatment every week or so.

Otto

1) Solar G's can take A LONG TIME to charge. The solar cells are tiny, but once charged, the battery is big enough to keep the watch on "High" for MONTHS without dropping to "Medium."

2) "Sunlight through a window" is only about 1/5 as effective as "direct sunlight without a window." From the GW-2310 manual [ link ]:

Name:  2310 charging chart.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  71.5 KB

I left it on a windowsill in direct sunlight for an hour and it's now on full and staying that way. See if that helps.
    I suspect that your watch was on "Medium," really close to "High" and that hour bumped it over the edge! On the other hand, there's a pretty big difference between "on the bottom edge of 'High'" and "fully charged" -- in the 2310's case, it's about 6 hours' worth of direct sunlight! (I often compare it to a car's fuel tank -- after they're completely filled, most of them can go quite a few miles before the needle drops down from "full.")

It's probably more that "wrist movement keeps the solar panel from being aimed directly at the sun at the most efficient angle." When solar panels are installed on roofs, they don't just place them on any old side of the roof and aim them willy-nilly -- in my part of the northern hemisphere they're usually placed on the south side of the roof and aimed at an angle between "sun's lowest point in the sky at noon in the winter" and "sun's highest point in the sky in summer." Some roof-mounted panels even have motor mounts so they can swivel and face the sun as it makes the transit from east to west, like big high-tech sunflowers!

Wearing a solar panel on the wrist on a sunny day at the beach means that it's probably only accidentally pointed in the right direction 5% of the time or less.

If it does charge to high, you probably won't have to worry about charging it on the windowsill for a while unless you're using the back light a lot. My other solar G, a GW-5000, has sustained itself through ambient light, remaining at "High" for months, so once it hits high you won't have to worry for a while.
    My eight solar G's are the same way -- as I've mentioned here twenty or so times, I try to wear them in some sort of rotation during the spring and summer months so they go into October fully charged. (In the fall and winter they seldom see the sun since I'm indoors more and they're usually under a coat sleeve when I do go out.) By January or February, two or three will have dropped to "Medium" and I'll wait for a rare sunny day to leave them out on the porch -- then they'll go back to "High" and stay there until the following January or February!
    Ottovonn likes this.

Yeah, either light through a window or in direct sunlight has always been the best for me in getting the battery to "H"--it does take a while--many folks seem to give up much too quickly.

I've had it in direct sunlight for weeks now. No luck.

"He's just a witness"

Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    I've had it in direct sunlight for weeks now. No luck.
    As noted above, if it's been on your wrist "in direct sunlight for weeks," that isn't as efficient as "26 hours of being parked on a table in direct sunlight, NOT through a window."

If it HAS sat in the sunshine for a couple of days and still won't go to "High" the problem might be the battery itself. From everything I've read here, solar G's batteries DO start to go dead more quickly if the previous owner (or the place you bought it from) had it sitting in the dark for a year or two, letting the battery drain all the way to "charge me NOW!" mode (or completely dead) and then tried to charge it before you bought it.

If that IS the case, it's just a matter of buying a new rechargeable battery of the same type and replacing it like you would in any other G-Shock!

Thread Information