G-Shock "image" - young vs old wearer

Thread: G-Shock "image" - young vs old wearer

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

G-Shock "image" - young vs old wearer

I follow the G-Shock forum and am intrigued by the technology and ruggedness of the line. What turns me off somewhat though, is the image that the line portrays. I may be off base, but it seems to be a teen to early twenty something wearers watch. It's cool, rugged, hi-tech although a bit bulky. I'm almost 60 but an active runner, sports car enthusiast and engineer.
    So, you see that the technology and features of the G-Shock fit my personality but not the image / look of the G-Shock with my age. Am I wrong?

I tend to wear divers... Luminox, Seiko, Pulsar, Dievas, several are PVD and titanium.
    When I run, i wear a few hi-tech looking Nike or Casio running watches.

I've had my eye though, on some G-Shocks and am looking for you guys to point me in the right direction, recommend a model and perhaps convince me that I'm not too old for a G-Shock.

I find that digital displays are difficult to read without my reading glasses, so I tend to like analog except for my running watches with very large digits.

I'm wondering if the G-Shocks that receive the radio time signals add much bulk and cost? Are they worth it vs the inherent quartz accuracy?

I'd prefer something dark in color / black and not overly bulky or large.

Suggestions?

Re: G-Shock "image" - young vs old wearer

Good grief, you're just a youngster, you'll find older people than you on here ...... me for one.

In this day and age, people of sixty are still active and engaging in sports and hobbies that need the toughness of a G-Shock so they are apt watches for everyone.

The sight problem too isn't just something related to age, it affects all ages. I started off using an analogue G for the same reason but to be honest I find watches like the G 7500 easy to read visually and the vibration alarm can be a boon at times too.

I'd go for one, you'll enjoy them like the rest of us, as to the atomic varieties, they are certainly no more bulky and are really a matter of how accurate you like a watch to be. Having one in the collection makes it easy to check your others too.

Anyway welcome to the forum and join us in a G, they are great fun for all ages. I'm going in for a hip operation soon and am just working out which one to wear in hospital!

Here below is a 7500 with vibration alarm and below that a M5600 Atomic for comparison.

"The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise." Peter O'Toole

Dude !,
    Many young people today use cell phones, PDA's etc to tell time.
    If you check out the pictures of the Navy SEAL posted on this forum
    a couple of weeks ago, you will notice that he has a G-Shock DW-6600
    on. Very serious guy, though "young", (I'm 68, I have socks older than
    him !). Many Police Officers do as well.
    I suggest you go to WalMart and purchase a basic black DW-5600
    or DW-6900, both are about $60.00 each.
    Nothing fancy but they are the Icons of the line for VERY good reasons.
    If you want a radio controlled,try yours for a while, remember, batteries last
    4-5 years if you don't use the light a lot, and, is +/- 15 sec/month good enough.
    ANY G-shock does what it does better than any competitor.
    Good Luck, You can't go wrong !
    LL

P.S. The "Atomic" feature as well as the solar, adds Very little weight or volume.
    Last edited by loco larry; September 7th, 2008 at 19:12. Reason: add

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm 61 and own 6 G Shocks. I find that the basic model G Shocks have the most appeal to me. I like the G Shock for it's "rugged image", low cost, high quality, and that there are G Shock models that appeal to all ages. At my age, I'm never going to put a G Shock to the test but it's fun wearing a watch that would allow me to do so.
    I wear glasses full time so I don't have a problem reading the display of any of my G Shocks. Although if I want to read the fine print on the crystal, the glasses have to come off.

if you fancy a more 'grown up' watch, why not try the 'Cockpit' models?

G-520D-3 and G-740D-9AV

oh and i though the +/- 15 seconds accuracy was over a month period, not a day?

Quote Originally Posted by loco larry View Post
    Dude !,
    Many young people today use cell phones, PDA's etc to tell time.
    If you check out the pictures of the Navy SEAL posted on this forum
    a couple of weeks ago, you will notice that he has a G-Shock DW-6600
    on. Very serious guy, though "young", (I'm 68, I have socks older than
    him !). Many Police Officers do as well.
    I suggest you go to WalMart and purchase a basic black DW-5600
    or DW-6900, both are about $60.00 each.
    Nothing fancy but they are the Icons of the line for VERY good reasons.
    If you want a radio controlled,try yours for a while, remember, batteries last
    4-5 years if you don't use the light a lot, and, is +/- 15 sec/day good enough.
    ANY G-shock does what it does better than any competitor.
    Good Luck, You can't go wrong !
    LL

P.S. The "Atomic" feature as well as the solar, adds Very little weight or volume.

Last edited by lee172; September 6th, 2008 at 16:11.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy400 View Post
    I follow the G-Shock forum and am intrigued by the technology and ruggedness of the line. What turns me off somewhat though, is the image that the line portrays. I may be off base, but it seems to be a teen to early twenty something wearers watch. It's cool, rugged, hi-tech although a bit bulky. I'm almost 60 but an active runner, sports car enthusiast and engineer.
    So, you see that the technology and features of the G-Shock fit my personality but not the image / look of the G-Shock with my age. Am I wrong?

I tend to wear divers... Luminox, Seiko, Pulsar, Dievas, several are PVD and titanium.
    When I run, i wear a few hi-tech looking Nike or Casio running watches.

I've had my eye though, on some G-Shocks and am looking for you guys to point me in the right direction, recommend a model and perhaps convince me that I'm not too old for a G-Shock.

I find that digital displays are difficult to read without my reading glasses, so I tend to like analog except for my running watches with very large digits.

I'm wondering if the G-Shocks that receive the radio time signals add much bulk and cost? Are they worth it vs the inherent quartz accuracy?

I'd prefer something dark in color / black and not overly bulky or large.

Suggestions?
    There is no question that Casio markets some "G" lines to young people. You see references to hip hop or or "youth culture" or surfing or you see references to cutting edge artists or to stores that young people gravitate to (e.g., BAPE or "Dave's Quality Meats" in NYC).

That said, there are TONS of G-Shocks that are about function and toughness (and, let's be honest, also the APPEARANCE of toughness and function). I think there is nothing unseemly or unsightly about a man in his 50s, 60s or 70s sporting a G-Shock. It is not, I assure you, the equivalent of an older guy looking silly adopting a "youth" fashion.

I'm 53 with almost entirely white hair -- but at least with a full head of it. My wife and her friends assure me that older men can still look vital, sexy, etc. -- particularly those, who like you, are active, fit, and in shape. (I'm working on those fronts!)

I agree with those who suggested that a 6600 or 6900 are good places to start. They are indeed icons for a reason. I'd add to other possibilities to think about. One is a DW-5600 which is smaller -- since size seems to be a concern. The other suggestion is a 9000 series "Mudman" which have a slightly smaller and lower profile than the 6600 or 6900 and new, very crisp display.

Here's a link to a 6600 for $45:
    http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock-...0716697&sr=8-1

Here's a link to a 6900 for $44:
    http://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW69001V...0716844&sr=1-2

Here's a link to a 9000 series Mudman for $63http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock-Mudman-Digital-G9000-1V/dp/B000FPVUJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1220716945&sr=1-1

Here's a link to a 5600 for $44
    http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock-...0717115&sr=1-1
    Last edited by Kronos; September 6th, 2008 at 18:06.

Hi speedy - I'm 58 and I have found out that G-Shocks are extremely cool and TIMELESS!

I'm hooked and I love them. there are so many different styles that you are formely forced to start a collection. so, be carefull G-Shocks are addictive....
    Jurphaas
    G-Shock, when time counts....

I'm 43 and would wear most G-Shocks as long as they're black. Some, like the 5600's and Gulfman don't look the least bit out of place on a mature wrist. The G9000, G2300 and DW6900 are other's I feel very comfortable in. I can't see me ever 'growing out' of them.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Hi speedy! I think I know which one meets all your requirements:

• atomic
    • solar
    • large digits
    • not bulky
    • crisp display
    • fairly stealthy look right out of the box
    ...it's the GW5600J-1! You should be able to find one from reputable source on the web for about $65. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

I am 39, so I feel like a baby here. I just got the GW5600J-1, and must say it's a great choice. I also highly recommend it as your first! On top of the great functions and readability, it just looks great!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information