G Shock and magnetic fields

Thread: G Shock and magnetic fields

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G Shock and magnetic fields

I'd like to ask the opinion of the forum- will a magnetic field hurt an all digital G?

I know that the stepper motor in analogue models can be zapped by a magnet, but I'm wondering if there's anything in a digital that can be hurt?

I'm thinking it will be safe enough, BUT that said if I'm going to be using it around the NMR machine at uni ( BIG magnet) I thought I'd ask first :D I'll email Casio and if I get an answer I'll post it up.

Then again, I might just buy a cheaper G and save the Mudman for special occasions... Seems wrong though, I thought a G could take anything!

Laughing Re: G Shock and magnetic fields

Hi jounetsu,

There are antimagnetic models, but franklie I don't think a digital watch have problems with megnetic fields since there are no moving parts. I think you might get problems with a waveceptor model if the electro magnetic fields alternate though. I believe the antenna is a coil construction, and I believe the circuit connected to a coil construction do not like strong alternating electromagnetic fields.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: G Shock and magnetic fields

Didn't Mike Hogan have his Solar G fried at the hands of an MRI machine?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sjors- Cheers for that, I'm thinking the same thing, however...

As RWare says, I thought I'd heard something along those lines too. NMR = MRI, both put out some serious magnetism. Then again, mine's not a solar. (Should have said before, its a module 3031 Mudman)

I've been reading round, and I think that solar cells are affected by the strong magnetism. Incidentally, calculators are a no go within a close proximity of the machine too but most sites say digital watches are OK. The only 'distinguishing feature' from an electronics POV I can think of is the solar cells.

I've emailed Casio too, but I don't expect to hear from them for a few days ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by RWare
    Didn't Mike Hogan have his Solar G fried at the hands of an MRI machine?
    Hi all:

I've had two tough solar models damaged when exposed to EM from a MRI. The watches simply went dead and I found that the solar power storage cell had been damaged. The watches were fine after replacement of the cells. Neither were waveceptor models so I have no idea if a strong EM pulse would damage the receiver and/or antenna of an "atomic" watch.

In the recent past I've occassionally worn a Timex digital powered by a CR2025 lithium cell during MRI studies without any effect to the watch.

Hope that this helps answer your question.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Certain of the analogue (AW) G-Shocks are also certified anti-magnetic of course, with their plating to protect the moving parts, but everything has its limits and a very strong magnetic field will still cause malfunction.
    55 watches. 30 Casios. Appalling bank balance!

While we are on the subject of magnetivity and G-Shock digital watches, anybody remember the movie with John Travolta and Christian Slater named "Broken Arrow"?

In the movie, a nuclear bomb was set off underground which sent out an electro-magnetic pulse. If I remember correctly, it negatively impacted the electronics aboard the helicopter; causing it to crash.

Now, theoretically speaking; would such an EMP cause a digital G-Shock to go haywire? Would it affect a Gaussman? Just curious; any science experts here?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek N
    While we are on the subject of magnetivity and G-Shock digital watches, anybody remember the movie with John Travolta and Christian Slater named "Broken Arrow"?

In the movie, a nuclear bomb was set off underground which sent out an electro-magnetic pulse. If I remember correctly, it negatively impacted the electronics aboard the helicopter; causing it to crash.

Now, theoretically speaking; would such an EMP cause a digital G-Shock to go haywire? Would it affect a Gaussman? Just curious; any science experts here?

Hi Derek,

EMP from a nuke is not the same as magnetism. The reason I asked the Q is that I know relatively little about how magnetism affects electronics, but I've looked into EMP before :D

EMP refers to the emission of high power radio waves that cause metal parts inside electronics to become charged, in the same way normal radio generates a current in an aerial. This excess voltage is what kills the device.

While a gaussman is magnetically shielded by something like a soft iron plate to 'absorb' excess magnetism, an EMP would cause the whole thing to become zapped as radio would penetrate through anything but thick shielding.

In fact a nuke detonated in the atmosphere would have far more devastating effects, causing the likes of phone lines to become energised with tens of thousands of volts! Pretty scary stuff.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan
    Hi all:

I've had two tough solar models damaged when exposed to EM from a MRI. The watches simply went dead and I found that the solar power storage cell had been damaged. The watches were fine after replacement of the cells. Neither were waveceptor models so I have no idea if a strong EM pulse would damage the receiver and/or antenna of an "atomic" watch.

In the recent past I've occassionally worn a Timex digital powered by a CR2025 lithium cell during MRI studies without any effect to the watch.

Hope that this helps answer your question.
    Were they powered by the CTL-1616 or the ML-2016?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek N

in such a case, my Gaussman would have been the last thing to worry about .. lol

would a mechanical watch still function in such situation? (like in "war of the world", the aliens starts their attack with EMP and everything that involves electronic just died, cars included.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information