G-Shock and Magnets
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By d2mac
  • 1 Post By d2mac
  • 1 Post By Watch_Geekmaster

Thread: G-Shock and Magnets

G-Shock and Magnets

I currently own a G-Shock Aviator Series GW-3000BB. I work in retail I think maybe the magnets we use to take off sensors off certain products may of screwed my watch up. I used the atomic clock feature to set the time again, however the left dial does not display the day of the week anymore it points in the opposite direction. I sent it in to the casio service center and it looks like I might have to get a different watch. They tell me that they don't have it in stock and I think it might of been discontinued.

Anyways, I was looking into some other g-shocks just in case they don't have my model and wanted to know if the rangeman or any other solar powered models that are digital not fare well against magnetic fields.

Name:  GW-3000BB-1AJF_1.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  128.9 KB
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This a picture of the exact one I have.
    Last edited by BlkandRed; December 9th, 2014 at 00:14.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: G-Shock and Magnets

did you try the hands home position correction procedure first? :)
    Its described in the manual.

The date wheel is not auto adjusted but tough movement functionality.

Anyhow, any digital watch will be immune against magnetic fields.
    Last edited by d2mac; December 9th, 2014 at 00:20.
    Schwizzle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    did you try the hands home position correction procedure first? :)
    Its described in the manual.

The date wheel is not auto adjusted but tough movement functionality.

Anyhow, any digital watch will be immune against magnetic fields.
    Yeah I tried it. The left dial would always revert back to "STD" or "DST" position or stick straight up. Casio contacted back and let me know it would have to be replaced with another module.

Also, even the rangeman ? I just wanted to make sure that magnets would not mess up anything related to the solar panels.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agreed - perform the Adjusting Home Positions Manually procedure on page 5 of the manual: http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw5121.pdf

With that said you will see in the paragraph it states that strong magnetism can cause the hands to be off, so you might need to do it frequently.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

the solar panel is immune.
    The electro-magnetic stepper motors of quartz analogs are influenced by magnets.
    so the problem might come back with any analog hands quartz watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkandRed View Post
    Yeah I tried it. The left dial would always revert back to "STD" or "DST" position or stick straight up. Casio contacted back and let me know it would have to be replaced with another module.

Also, even the rangeman ? I just wanted to make sure that magnets would not mess up anything related to the solar panels.
    BlkandRed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkandRed View Post

The Rangeman has a compass, so that's obviously influenced by magnet. If you want a watch truly immune to magnet, get a digital and non-compass one, or one certified as magnetic resistant.

I had a SGW500 analog compass watch. The compass was off by a bit, despite multiple calibrations. Says in the manual that once the hands got magnetized, it won't be accurate any more. Good thing it was a new purchase, so I returned it.

Manual excerpt of SGW500, which applies to most analog compass watch as well.
    Name:  sgw500manual.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  77.9 KB

Manual excerpt for the GW9400 Rangeman, which applies to most digital compass watch as well.
    Name:  GW9400manual.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  31.4 KB

Once your watch's magnetized, the manufacturer will need to take the watch apart, degauss the analog hands and then put it back together for further testing. It's likely a work intensive process and they can't guarantee you the watch's functioning same as before. So the easiest way for them is to provide you a new watch.
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; December 9th, 2014 at 01:29.
    BlkandRed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watch_geek2014 View Post
    The Rangeman has a compass, so that's obviously influenced by magnet. If you want a watch truly immune to magnet, get a digital and non-compass one, or one certified as magnetic resistant.

I had a SGW500 analog compass watch. The compass was off by a bit, despite multiple calibrations. Says in the manual that once the hands got magnetized, it won't be accurate any more. Good thing it was a new purchase, so I returned it.

Manual excerpt of SGW500, which applies to most analog compass watch as well.
    Name:  sgw500manual.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  77.9 KB

Manual excerpt for the GW9400 Rangeman, which applies to most digital compass watch as well.
    Name:  GW9400manual.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  31.4 KB

Once your watch's magnetized, the manufacturer will need to take the watch apart, degauss the analog hands and then put it back together for further testing. It's likely a work intensive process and they can't guarantee you the watch's functioning same as before. So the easiest way for them is to provide you a new watch.

I like the rangeman though. It has a feature listed under the digital compass called "Magnetic declination correction". So im not sure if that would be a solution or not. Man I didn't realize analog would this much a hassle for me.

Thread Information