G-Shock Mudman GW-9000A-1 vs Pathfinder PAG40-7V

Thread: G-Shock Mudman GW-9000A-1 vs Pathfinder PAG40-7V

G-Shock Mudman GW-9000A-1 vs Pathfinder PAG40-7V

I posted another thread asking a similar question, but I have narrowed it down to these two, because they fall in the same price bracket. The question is which one would you recommend and why?

thanks
    -Patrick

Re: G-Shock Mudman GW-9000A-1 vs Pathfinder PAG40-7V

Well I guess it comes down to what is more important to you. Clearly, there is a lot more functionality in the PAG (compass, barometer, altimeter), whereas the G is tougher w/ mud resist with the solar/atomic capability. If you aren't going to use the functions on the PAG, I'd say the Mudman is a great watch. I enjoy the convenience of having the solar/atomic, even though it's not exactly a dealbreaker for a watch. I think the PAG will also have a lot more wrist presence versus the Muddie.
    Chris
    ---

I'd vote for neither. The buttons on the Muddie are pretty hard to push, and that made it annoying to me. And since the temperature function on the Pathfinders is only accurate when the watch has been off your wrist for 10 minutes are more, I never found it useful. The compass is pretty cool, but I never found much real use for either it or the altimeter, so I flipped my Pathfinder (1300 model). YMMV, of course, but I have been much happier with simpler G-Shocks such as the GW-6900 and DW-6600 (my favorite).

The ABC functions of the Riseman and Pathfinder watches are great in theory, but in practice I found that they just made the watches more expensive without adding any functionality I used on a daily or even weekly basis.

I'm not disparaging these watches at all - just relating my experiences with them.
    Regards from Texas,

Larry C

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The PAG is what I would choose. I am the opposite of the last poster. I find the protreks and pathfinders much more user friendly than G-shocks. the large display is much easier to read and I really appreciate the clarity but be aware that the PAG is old tecnology and takes 4 batteries.

I plan to purcahse the PAG40-7V from Amazon soon.

The 40 is simply the most clear and easy to read digital display that I know of. I wouldn't change mine for anything.

If I go away for a few days to a festival, or anywhere I can just take one watch and rely on its instant legibility day or night, it's this. I'm a fan.

I have both and I think it really depends on what you are going to be doing with it. The mudman is a very comfortable everyday watch, but as others have mentioned the buttons can be annoying. The PAG40 is just too cool. It is the best looking protrek imho with its AWESOME display and bold presence. The PAG 40 is my new "outdoors" watch. It is HUGE on a small wrist though and can be annoying when wearing with anything long sleeve. I would not rely soley on the compass etc for navigation, but they are nice to have as references. Tough choice..so get both like I did...

Thread Information