G-Shock Mudman strap improvement
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Aataqah
  • 1 Post By Aataqah
  • 1 Post By lvt

Thread: G-Shock Mudman strap improvement

G-Shock Mudman strap improvement

Hi,

I've am wearing my G-Shock Mudman GW-9010 for a couple of years now. The one thing that bothered me at the beginning was the long strap (I have a very small wrist). After I cut the strap to the desired lenght, the strap was always "falling out" because the strap holder kept sliding up. So I decided to make a little modification and the problem stopped. I've been wearing the watch like this for a long time and decided to share this idead with you (i do not know if it is new or old ).

Basically, all it is that I soldered a little rigid wire thought the end holes of the strap. See the pictures, they are self-explanatory. Hope this helps someone.
    Name:  IMG_6823.JPG
Views: 8837
Size:  947.2 KBName:  IMG_6824.JPG
Views: 2787
Size:  638.9 KBName:  IMG_6825.JPG
Views: 2594
Size:  338.1 KBName:  IMG_6826.JPG
Views: 2594
Size:  395.8 KBName:  IMG_6827.JPG
Views: 2545
Size:  608.0 KBName:  IMG_6829.JPG
Views: 2579
Size:  628.1 KBName:  IMG_6830.JPG
Views: 2507
Size:  614.5 KB

Otherwise, very happy with the watch. It survived scorching heat and extreme cold, mud, dirt, water, oil, etc ... it a beater and it still keeps working.
    Chrisek, Redcrow and capt_RENGT like this.

Re: G-Shock Mudman strap improvement

Nicely done!
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Yes this was nicely done!

But you should clean up your watch to make it last longer!

One thing that can be of concern is that those materials both the solder and the copper are not very suitable to be in constant contact with the skin due to high Nickel concentrations. So could be harmful and cause allergy! So I recommend coating it up with something to protect the skin. Perhaps this liquid resin material could be of use:Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The copper or solder are not in contact with the skin, because there is the other side of the strap beneath it.

BTW ... this is the watch in it's clean state ... you do not want to see it when it's dirty :)
    Jeff_C likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aataqah View Post
    The copper or solder are not in contact with the skin, because there is the other side of the strap beneath it.

BTW ... this is the watch in it's clean state ... you do not want to see it when it's dirty :)
    Ah of course, I did not think of that!

As for the dirt, if something is very difficult to remove by just using hands and running water. Then the best thing to is dismantle the resin parts and clean out the grime under the bezel and then let the resin parts sit in a bowl of water for an hour. Then clean out the small holes and hard to get areas using soapy water and cotton swabs!
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

lvt

My Riseman's strap has the same problem as I also have small wrist size, but I prefer another solution in order to keep the band intact, I simply tie the band keeper with a sort of composite wire and cut the unused part, this way I won't have problem when I want to move the band keeper up or down, works perfectly for two years now.

Name:  14Anonyme-20121105-044655.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  139.3 KB
    G-fob likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

lvt

"Composite" is not the right word, I think it might be a silicone wire, very flexible and durable.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

After cutting my strap down, to stop the retainer moving I simply glued it in place with glue designed to repair shoes.

Looks like this:

Name:  790245d1344848545-casio-solar-atomic-mudman-gw-9010mb-1jf-mini-review-japan-matte-black-edition-.jpg
Views: 3418
Size:  303.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    Ah of course, I did not think of that!

As for the dirt, if something is very difficult to remove by just using hands and running water. Then the best thing to is dismantle the resin parts and clean out the grime under the bezel and then let the resin parts sit in a bowl of water for an hour. Then clean out the small holes and hard to get areas using soapy water and cotton swabs!
    Not everyone "baby's" their G Shocks. I kind of like seeing G's that are as dirty as they were designed to get. I say wear it with pride. Better than most of us who obsessively wipe our little watches down every day and obsess over them. I say the dirt is a badge of courage!
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Thread Information