G-Shock NATO Band Mod

Thread: G-Shock NATO Band Mod

G-Shock NATO Band Mod

A few days back, I saw a discussion of putting a NATO strap on a 9400 using the standard resin G-shock "end-pieces". I personally don't really like the way the end pieces extend the watch body.I may or may not be receiving a 9400 this Christmas, and was doing some pre-planning. Would it be possible to use a piece of small diameter metal tubing to "link" the two opposing strap screws (thus creating a hinge for a zulu strap)?
    Thinking something like this:
    New K s Round Aluminum Tube 5mm OD x 45mm Wall 3 9804 | eBay
    5mm Inner Dia Straight Passing Through Aluminum Connecting Tube 20pcs | eBay

I'm unsure of how strong this design would be (the aluminum in the first link would definitely be "bendable"), but then again, how much space is there between the two opposing screws? I see this as more of a gap-filler-the structural support would still be coming from the screws. This could be a low-cost, DIY, lower-profile alternative to the classic end-piece swap.

Any fundamental flaws with this idea that I missed?
    Anyone want to give it a shot?
    Last edited by njb242; December 12th, 2013 at 17:33.

Re: G-Shock NATO Band Mod

great idea and original, I think it will work, but I never am a fan of nato

Thanks, I have my GW-9300 at school which seems to have a similar strap design to the 9400. Unfortunately, left all my tools at home so I can't take it apart and look at distance between screws, potential clearance issues, etc. I love the CF strap on my 9300, no experience with webbing straps, but was interested in giving them a chance (if I get a 9400).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by njb242 View Post
    A few days back, I saw a discussion of putting a NATO strap on a 9400 using the standard resin G-shock "end-pieces". I personally don't really like the way the end pieces extend the watch body.I may or may not be receiving a 9400 this Christmas, and was doing some pre-planning. Would it be possible to use a piece of small diameter metal tubing to "link" the two opposing strap screws (thus creating a hinge for a zulu strap)?
    Thinking something like this:
    New K s Round Aluminum Tube 5mm OD x 45mm Wall 3 9804 | eBay
    5mm Inner Dia Straight Passing Through Aluminum Connecting Tube 20pcs | eBay

I'm unsure of how strong this design would be (the aluminum in the first link would definitely be "bendable"), but then again, how much space is there between the two opposing screws? I see this as more of a gap-filler-the structural support would still be coming from the screws. This could be a low-cost, DIY, lower-profile alternative to the classic end-piece swap.

Any fundamental flaws with this idea that I missed?
    Anyone want to give it a shot?
    I considered something like this, but with using a gw-3000 bar instead of the original rangeman screws. I dont know if the holes are the right size or not since I never tried it. But your idea of using the original metal screws and a tube in between would probably work well. But needs to be steel not aluminum I think, for the most security.

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    needs to be steel not aluminum I think, for the most security.
    I started my search looking for steel tubing; unfortunately, I was unable to find any with a small enough diameter.

Thread Information