G-Shock ... need a better military consultant

Thread: G-Shock ... need a better military consultant

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

G-Shock ... need a better military consultant

Another observation in my love/hate relationship with G-Shocks. G-Shock need a better military consultant ... if they have one at all. You'd think they would based all the tens of thousands of Gs sold to the military people I know who wear them (including myself!). G-shocks are prob the most popular watch in the service. Case in point the DW-6900MS-1DR looks high speed BUT no world time or dual time??? Ah, Casio I'm sure you've heard that military folks deploy ever so often and might want to track what time it is back home or hey, what about that funny thing called ZULU time? So what you have is a great mil style watch for mall ninjas but not for real military folks. OK that is a bit of stretch, but still, come on Casio! So close but yet so far.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: G-Shock ... need a better military consultant

besides the DW-6900 there is about one zillion other g-shock's and lots of them have world-time and every single one of them will do fine as a military watch. so i'm not sure if your post is meant to be serious....

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Weirdest post ever.

Anyway,your need's answer is called G7700. 3 time zones displayed at the same time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My point is this: it's a watch marketed to military without so much as dual time - ah what? A swing and a big miss, unless of course you just want a "military look" then why not buy a Luminox "Navy Seal" watch.

No offense the G7700 is pretty ugly, even for a G-shock. My G-2300 has world time. It's not all blacked out and tacticool like the DW-6900MS. It works fine. I'm just frustrated a pretty cool "military" watch does not have a basic feature that I'd expect would be a no brainer. What's up with that?
    Last edited by 5thLegion; July 11th, 2010 at 15:31.

Try a GW-7900B. All black and world time.

agreed, I see the GW6900 as having all of the much needed improvements to the DW6900. Its just not readily available at the PX/BX yet. Maybe someone needs to let the AAFES purchasing director know?

Somewhere in the Southeast part of Norway

I can't confirm this since I have the GW-6900, but the G-6900 should have all the features of the GW-6900 save the radio syncronisation and at a reasonable price.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

there was also a military style version of the G-9000 mudman i think?

Anyhow, i also see the military style Gs as some kind of marketing gag.
    The basic positive display versions may be better suited to day to day use in low light environments.

So if world time is important the standard Mudman G-9000-1 or a GW-M5600 might fit the bill better then a military-inspired-design version.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

The DW-6900, DW-6600, DW-5600 models are being sold in PX's for two reasons:

1. cheap
    2. widely availabe

if they lack certain (supposedly important) features it's not casio who needs better consulting but the military itself. none of those watches were ever developed for a specific military purpose, but some "wiseguys" decided to make them so.

as for the G-7700/10: it's a better "military" g-shock than the DW-6900 ever can be, instead of wasting half the display for the nonsense three eyes, it delivers useful information (like three timezones at once for instance). if one doesn't like the look of the G-7700/10, then this is a personal matter and also not casios fault.

there was a time when military watches were simple three hand analogs with a mechanical movement. although old fashioned and a bit outdated on one hand, certainly not excatly the worst choice on the other (one of the first and most important rules in the field: keep it simple, keep it stupid). I wonder how the allied forces ever could manage to plan a strike w/o worldtime wristwatches during WW2, even more so since laptops, internet, satellites, GPS weren't there...

with todays technology and possibilities a wristwatch with worldtime - while certainly nice to have - is everything but necessary. rugged, cheap, durable are the attributes to look for. and let us not forget: even in the armed forces, where for almost everything and anything a standard procedure is at hand, one can wear the kind of watch whatever he/she likes. maybe not exactly a pink GA-100 (for obvious reason) but generally no one gives a rat a** what watch one wears, so feel free to wrap around your wrist whatever you like and forget about that whole "military issued" stuff.

cheers
    Last edited by cal..45; July 11th, 2010 at 17:09.
    We are 12.6 %

Strange post indeed...

Before we get frustrated with the misguided marketing direction of G's, let's get some fact right:

- The most popular G's among military forces today are mainly the DW range.
    - The DW range is largely based on older modules (module 1289 in DW-6900 is 15 years old).
    - Today, almost all new G's modules come with world time, but not without additional cost.
    - The MS range are clearly marketed as 'Military Inspired'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information