A G-Shock Newbie! What do I need?

Thread: A G-Shock Newbie! What do I need?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A G-Shock Newbie! What do I need?

So goy easy on me guys... I'm a newbie!

I've always had Luminox and they've served me well...

I'm heading to work a winter in the french alps this december (I'm an Aussie living in London)

So I'm looking for a G-Shock... I like the look of the GW-M5600 and also the Mudman series...

It'll probably take a beating on the slopes and be in some cold conditions.

A few questions tho.. How well are the solar power cells? do they work ok? hold their charge?

And with the sync watches... will they sync anywhere in the world? and what happens if your out of a sync area?

Anyways, any help will be appreciated! but go easy on me if my questions are dumb!!!!

:thanks

Oh I should have also added when returning back to Australia next year i'll either be in law enforcement or armed forces so it'll need to hold up!
    Last edited by Ctrain; September 8th, 2009 at 14:20.

Re: A G-Shock Newbie! What do I need?

Definitely a good choice on the GW-M5600. I highly recommend it, and it's also has the great classic look of the 5600s.

Good luck, and welcome to WUS!

The solar power cells have worked great for me...but I havn't had one for long. Safe to say you should get years out of it.

For working in the alps, the new Riseman might be cool - GW-9200. Its solar atomic and has an altimeter on it.

Muddys are great watches too.

Any G you pick should take just as much punishment as you dish out.

Regarding the time sync, I believe it will almost certainly do so in Switzerland especially at altitude. The new 5 and 6 band modules receive the signal from UK, Germany, USA (where coverage extends) and Japan (two towers). The 6 band also receives in or near China - there are places which don't pick up any signal but Europe should be pretty much full coverage subject to local (line of sight or whatever) and atmospheric conditions.

I probably would check out the GW-9200 Riseman if I was you - very cool looking, has an excellent module (time visible basically all modes) and as I say, has the altimeter (also a barometer & weather gauge type graph).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First of all, you absolutely need to keep your wallet well away from you, because you will never be able to stop at just one G-Shock.

Seriously, practically any G will do for your requirements. I hear the 6600 and 6900 series, affordable and reliable classics that they are, have seen widespread use especially by law enforcement and the armed services.

I was inclined to recommend the Riseman too for working in the Alps, but I reckon the Mudman will do just as well, seeing how Casio explicitly mentions its resistance to low temperatures (up to -20C).
    Last edited by Bogeyman; September 8th, 2009 at 15:10.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

There are no dumb questions!

As has been said above, pretty much any G-Shock will do the job. Especially if you're used to a Luminox - a G-Shock will feel bombproof.

Any solar-powered G will be fine. Even in complete darkness they're good for a few months.
    Atomic time shouldnt be a bother either. Even if you do miss a signal occasionally, the watch will lose very little time.

On which one to go for? You could go ahead and get them all - might as well get it over with!
    The GW-M5600 is a brilliant choice though. I'm a big fan and consider them the best G-Shock for the real world. Plenty tough and will fit under a sleeve. You should be able to see one in the flesh on the High St if you dont want to buy online blind. Argos ususally carry some. www.tiktox.com have an option to buy with a velcro strap in case you want to wear over your jacket.

The Riseman GW-9200 would be great for the geek factor - they have a built-in thermometer, alimeter and barometer and can show weather/height trends. Hard to find them on the High St so you'll be buying on photos.
    One of the great things about the Riseman is that the time is visible in all modes - so if you're using the stopwatch or countdown timer you can still see what the proper time is. The 5600 only shows current time in countdown mode.
    They are a little bigger than the GW-M5600.

Whatever you go for - enjoy!

Excellent advice above. Welcome and g'day!
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I had the Luminox Navy Seal as well, but it got stolen out of my hotel room last year. I ended up trying out a gshock and like them. They are different then the luminox though. I liked the tritium hands and miss that feature. That being said, I am now on my second G (a mudman). I am not a fan of the classic models as much as the newer, chunkier ones. I like the riseman, mudman, and gulfman. I would suggest trying some on and seeing if you like the digital aspect and all of the buttons compared to your luminox. Mine was a workhorse, and I miss it. I could dive 130' in freezing water, then get out and go snowboarding. It loved all the pain I could dish out. My G has been solid so far, but I would not dive with it as it is not a dive watch.
    COLLECTION:
    Stowa FO SE Swan Neck (12/11 delivery)
    G-Shock G9000 Stormtrooper, GW-1500
    Movado SE
    Omega Planet Ocean 45.5
    Tag Heuer 2000 Automatic
    One day: Omega Speedmaster

Thanks a bunch guys!

I'm going to do a bit of research and probably have a few more questions.

1 other question though in regards to sync. What will happen once I'm back in Oz? Will it just never sync? Is that bad for the watch at all?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrain View Post
    What will happen once I'm back in Oz? Will it just never sync? Is that bad for the watch at all?
    Other Australian members have posted that it works alright there, but I guess it depends on exactly where you are. The signal would be coming from Japan. And I don't think being out of range would ever have any negative consequences other than failing to sync.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrain View Post
    Thanks a bunch guys!

I'm going to do a bit of research and probably have a few more questions.

1 other question though in regards to sync. What will happen once I'm back in Oz? Will it just never sync? Is that bad for the watch at all?

Cheers
    It doesnt do any harm. Also the atomic sync can definitely be switched off on the GWM5600, Mudman and Gulfman. I would guess the same for the Riseman.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information