G-Shock for night-time running?

Thread: G-Shock for night-time running?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G-Shock for night-time running?

Hello all, first time on this forum. I'm training for a marathon and do lots of running at night, and it's getting colder so I wear gloves too. Is there a G-Shock that has these characteristics?

-Large numerals (my arms are constantly moving and my eyes aren't what they used to be!)

-Constant lume (or at least a easy-to-reach button - my gloves can't find the right button while running)

-Do G-Shocks feature a "flix" lume system like Timex Ironman?

Thanks a lot! I just read a message on another forum where a paratrooper said he'd prefer a G-Shock or Pathfinder over a Luminox or "Special Ops" watch any day. I've heard that before too!

Re: G-Shock for night-time running?

Sometimes, you just need the right tool for a specific job... get a Timex Ironman.

There are some G's with good sized digits but I can't think off hand of a good one for running. And yes, they have an auto EL feature a bit like the Timex flix system. The light comes on when you angle the watch to your face. It stays on for about 1.5 seconds, or some models have the option to stay lit for about 3 seconds.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

as much as I like g-shocks but if you need a watch for marathon training a casio is rather suboptimal in my opinion. If I were you, I would look out for a polar, garmin or timex watch, preferable the garmin (forerunner 205/305) because it is a gps device that gives you all the data a long-distance runner should have.

regards, holger

Ironman

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    the garmin (forerunner 205/305)
    I'd look into that carefully before you consider one. Their reception is terrible from everything I've read.

Wink Re: G-Shock for night-time running?

I guide the Zeeland Marathon every year and I see a lot of Garmin Forerunners and similar GPS "Watches". The models with HRM and GPS are pretty reliable from what I have heard and seen.

I have TImex HRM watch, but it's reception is terrible from time to time. I had to reset the watch several times, because the software (it's a watch!) crashed!

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Maybe they fixed the Forerunner problems. I was looking for a GPS watch at one point and didn't read good thigns about the series. This was about 5 months ago, though.

If you don't need all that stuff then I'd suggest an Ironman.

I have the Forerunner 305 and it is great. I have no trouble with recption and not trouble reading it. I must say I do not like the heart rate monitor as it is a strap that goes around your chest and when I run it falls down arround my waist. I stopped wearing it. But the watch is great. I have run in the woods in Germany, the open in Oklahome, and in town in NY where there is lots of trees and houses. Once it gets a satalite lock it is just fine. It take about 1 to 3 minutes to get a fix then it is just fine. I have had not problems with it.
    Stan The Man

Careful what you wish for. YOU MAY GET IT!!!

I run and cycle with a g-shock at night pretty regualrly. Either use the G-5500 or G-5600. The auto-el is always a winner.

Also have a cheapo Casio Phys which I probably use for running (including a couple of halfs in the past few weeks) more than the G-s. Good stop watch, auto el and lighter than a G.
    2011-04-08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information